DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chimney lining - parging material (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/74555-chimney-lining-parging-material.html)

DAI October 25th 04 01:52 PM

Chimney lining - parging material

Hello,

I am in the UK and live in a property that dates from 1620. The house
has two Inglenook fireplaces that share a common chimney (but
different flues). The previous owner did not use the fires for at
least 30 yrs. As I am the new owner, I wish to use the fires again.

The parging is coming away in several places and there is
repointing/relaying of some bricks required.

Can anyone recommend the appropriate parging and mortar mixes I should
use in this case?

Thanks.

DAI

Rick Dipper October 25th 04 06:33 PM

On 25 Oct 2004 05:52:36 -0700, (DAI) wrote:

Hello,

I am in the UK and live in a property that dates from 1620. The house
has two Inglenook fireplaces that share a common chimney (but
different flues). The previous owner did not use the fires for at
least 30 yrs. As I am the new owner, I wish to use the fires again.

The parging is coming away in several places and there is
repointing/relaying of some bricks required.

Can anyone recommend the appropriate parging and mortar mixes I should
use in this case?

Thanks.

DAI

Sir

I had a similar age chimney. There are now piles of regulations on
chimneys. There is also info to suggest that you may not be fully
insured if you do not have a chimney upto modern regs. I spent a good
time working with the guy from hotline chimneys, and in the end
re-lined mine with a metal liner, and Building Regs compliance.

Rick

Anna Kettle October 25th 04 08:16 PM

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:33:10 GMT, Rick Dipper
wrote:

I am in the UK and live in a property that dates from 1620. The house
has two Inglenook fireplaces that share a common chimney (but
different flues). The previous owner did not use the fires for at
least 30 yrs. As I am the new owner, I wish to use the fires again.

The parging is coming away in several places and there is
repointing/relaying of some bricks required.

Can anyone recommend the appropriate parging and mortar mixes I should
use in this case?

On 26th November there is a Historic Chimneys day at Hampton Court
which I am going to. Hopefully once I return I will be able to give
you chapter and verse

but meanwhile

Do a smoke test

I am not confident that fresh mortar would stick well to a sooted
chimney

Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

DAI October 26th 04 09:47 AM

Hello,

Thanks for the advise. I have reviewed the insurance, but there are
not specific aspects related to maintenance. The family has several
similar properties; one has installed a woodburner with liner, the
other has two wonderful inglenooks fully original but without parging,
and then there's mine. One reputable chimney company is happy to
reline with Isobond and a refractory mortar, or metal liner.

I may well attend the chimney day at Hampton Court. Thanks for the
info. I will check the diary.

DAI

|____|
www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

The Natural Philosopher October 26th 04 11:02 AM

DAI wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for the advise. I have reviewed the insurance, but there are
not specific aspects related to maintenance. The family has several
similar properties; one has installed a woodburner with liner, the
other has two wonderful inglenooks fully original but without parging,
and then there's mine. One reputable chimney company is happy to
reline with Isobond and a refractory mortar, or metal liner.

You do not want to restrict flue dimesnions for an open fire.

Lining is appropriate. but steer clear of metal liners for open fires.

Talk to your local building control: If they OK it, the insurance will
be fine.

Not sure what parging is either :-)

Anna Kettle October 27th 04 07:14 PM

Not sure what parging is either :-)

Never been to one of me Pargeting talks I see :-)

Parging=pargeting=pargetting

which used to mean any sort of plastering which was not flat. So it
not only meant decorative plasterwork on the outside of buildings, but
also rough plaster to line a chimney flue