Rob Bradley

Default Plaster sealer

Is the plaster sealer sold in bottles and tins, eg B&Q Interior
Plaster Sealer, just an expensive way of buying water with a bit of
PVA mixed in? Couldn't I just use say a 1:3 PVA:water mix? Would one
coat be enough on new plaster before painting?

---

Lobster

"Rob Bradley" wrote in message
Is the plaster sealer sold in bottles and tins, eg B&Q Interior
Plaster Sealer, just an expensive way of buying water with a bit of
PVA mixed in? Couldn't I just use say a 1:3 PVA:water mix? Would one
coat be enough on new plaster before painting?

I recently coated a whole, newly-plastered house with 1:4 PVA at the behest
of the plasterer, and it was a disaster. It rendered the surface
impermeable, sort of non-stick, and the newly applied emulsion could be
scraped off with fingernails after it had dried. Next time I'll use
diluted, cheap white emulsion as I always have in the past.

David

chris French

In message , Lobster
writes
"Rob Bradley" wrote in message
Is the plaster sealer sold in bottles and tins, eg B&Q Interior
Plaster Sealer, just an expensive way of buying water with a bit of
PVA mixed in? Couldn't I just use say a 1:3 PVA:water mix? Would one
coat be enough on new plaster before painting?

I recently coated a whole, newly-plastered house with 1:4 PVA at the behest
of the plasterer, and it was a disaster. It rendered the surface
impermeable, sort of non-stick, and the newly applied emulsion could be
scraped off with fingernails after it had dried. Next time I'll use
diluted, cheap white emulsion as I always have in the past.

Yep, I always use diluted white emulsion for the sealing coat. i've
noticed that where PVA is on the wall (the plasterers used it when doing
coving) that the film of the paint layer seems very thin with no
covering power so it looks like you'd need another coat anyway.

I note on the Dulux Trade emulsion they just say to seal bare plaster
with dilute emulsion, it's only on the tins of 'consumer' paint that
they seem to mention the plaster sealer.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Christian McArdle

Is the plaster sealer sold in bottles and tins, eg B&Q Interior
Plaster Sealer, just an expensive way of buying water with a bit of
PVA mixed in? Couldn't I just use say a 1:3 PVA:water mix? Would one
coat be enough on new plaster before painting?

Use Dulux Trade White Supermatt, diluted 25% water, 75% paint. Follow by 2
coats of coloured Dulux Trade Supermatt. This paint is specifically
formulated to enable new plaster to breathe. Personally, I wouldn't use
anything PVA, or even use a standard vinyl emulsion.

http://www.duluxtrade.co.uk/webapp/w...sheets/410.pdf
http://makeashorterlink.com/?T1CC23D89

Christian.

mike. buckley

In message , Lobster
writes
"Rob Bradley" wrote in message
Is the plaster sealer sold in bottles and tins, eg B&Q Interior
Plaster Sealer, just an expensive way of buying water with a bit of
PVA mixed in? Couldn't I just use say a 1:3 PVA:water mix? Would one
coat be enough on new plaster before painting?

I recently coated a whole, newly-plastered house with 1:4 PVA at the behest
of the plasterer, and it was a disaster. It rendered the surface
impermeable, sort of non-stick, and the newly applied emulsion could be
scraped off with fingernails after it had dried. Next time I'll use
diluted, cheap white emulsion as I always have in the past.

David

Why do we have to do this anyway? I've just had new french doors fitted
to the lounge and have never painted over fresh plaster before.
Unfortunately I was halfway through painting the new plaster before I
remembered most people apply dilute emulsion to seal it. I still have
the rest of the new conservatory to paint so will go the dilute route
with that, but the small bit I did with full strength emulsion seems
fine - so why use dilute at all?

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , mike. buckley
wrote:

I still have
the rest of the new conservatory to paint so will go the dilute route
with that, but the small bit I did with full strength emulsion seems
fine - so why use dilute at all?

The paint will come off in great sheets if the plaster isn't prepared
properly first. Not sure how long it will take, but it happened in a house I
moved into. Stripping the remains of the paint left pristine plaster
underneath!

video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 3rd 04 12:21 AM
Tips Needed on Plastering Bodysnatcher UK diy 7 August 10th 04 02:36 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 9th 04 12:13 AM
How can I fix cracks in plaster of old house? Phil Munro Home Repair 5 October 18th 03 11:48 AM