DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Building regulations for windows/fire saftey (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/72840-building-regulations-windows-fire-saftey.html)

Mark October 11th 04 07:29 PM

Building regulations for windows/fire saftey

Hi
I'm getting new UPVC windows fitted to my first
floor Maisonette.

I plan to make a bigger bathroom by blocking off
the kitchen entrance into the hall and making the
kitchen entrance via the lounge (which has access
to the hall).

I was told by the building control officer I needed
to make the kitchen window max 1100mm from the floor
and a clear opening of 450x750 so it can be used as
a fire escape. Currently it's 1100mm to the bottom of
the window sill, so it looks like I'm gonna have to
remove a layer of bricks. Do you think they would be
this fussy about it?

However, after chatting with some guys at work, they
said the windows would have to be kept clear as well,
ie nothing in front of them. Since I plan to put the
kitchen sink in front of them, it sort of stuffs up
my plan.

I've looked in the building regs and can't see any
mention of this.

Can anyone please advise?

Kind Regards,
Mark.

The Natural Philosopher October 12th 04 11:16 AM

Mark wrote:

[...]

I can see nothing in the regs to preclude having a sink in front.

Those regs are peculiar anyway.

I asked the BCO how, since ny whole upstairs had to have sockets at such
a height as to be reached by disabled people, these disabled people were
going to jump through the 'clear opening'

He muttered something about 'its so the fire brigade can get in'

Ah well. I have a window with a basin in front of it in my upstairs
bathrooms, and another that will have a bath, and the BCO is not at all
interested.

I am also not far from Cambridge :-)

Kind Regards,
Mark.

Mark October 12th 04 07:02 PM

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I can see nothing in the regs to preclude having a sink in front.

Those regs are peculiar anyway.

I asked the BCO how, since ny whole upstairs had to have sockets at such
a height as to be reached by disabled people, these disabled people were
going to jump through the 'clear opening'

He muttered something about 'its so the fire brigade can get in'

Ah well. I have a window with a basin in front of it in my upstairs
bathrooms, and another that will have a bath, and the BCO is not at all
interested.

Oh OK, thanks, that's great news!

Actually I think it's easier to have a kitchen unit
in front because it gives you a leg up on the way out :)

I am also not far from Cambridge :-)

;)

Cheers,
Mark.

G&M October 12th 04 07:10 PM

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi,
No I'm in Cambridge :)

Then I believe you are not restricted in the way suggested.

Mark October 13th 04 06:43 PM

I talked with the building control guy again
today and now he tells me there's no requirement
for a fire window at all because the kitchen exits
into the lounge which exits to the hall.

Apparently it's only a requirement if you have to
go through the kitchen to get out of the building.

Maybe if I ring him up again next week I'll get
a different story :)

Cheers,
Mark.