Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mike Mitchell

Default Huge difference between estate agents' quotes

How can a valuation from one estate agent differ from another's by
£35K? I've got another agent coming tomorrow, so I'll get a third
opinion, but that is an enormous difference, don't you agree?

Noteworthy 1: The agent with the much higher valuation sold a house a
couple of streets away within about a week for the asking price, which
itself was at least £10K more than the cheaper agent has valued my
property at. That house was an end terrace by the way, whereas mine is
a semi. That house was on the main road; mine is in a very quiet side
road.

Noteworthy 2: The agent with the much lower quote on my property sold
a house also a few streets away in 24 hours last weekend (Saturday).
However, this agent had also recommended a (low) valuation, the owner
said, no, that's too low and added eight grand to the figure, then
sold for the increased asking price in 24 hours. And I know they're
not telling porkies, because I know the people involved.

What should I do? Try for a couple of weeks at the highest valuation,
then think again? That person who sold their house for eight grand
more than the agent had suggested reckons they could have upped the
price even more and got it.

MM