DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Laminate Floor and Architrave Question (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/71763-laminate-floor-architrave-question.html)

John Kelly October 2nd 04 12:12 PM

Laminate Floor and Architrave Question

What do the collective DIY minds here do when they get to a door
architrave? I'm fitting laminate floor in the upstairs bedrooms as
there's not much wear and tear on them. I've lifted the skirting boards
and removed the architrave off one room and put new in after laying the
floor. It all looks good except for the slight gaps where the
architrave thins out by the door.

Any advice?

Thanks

--
John Kelly

Remove dimspam if replying by mail

Set Square October 2nd 04 01:08 PM

John Kelly wrote:

What do the collective DIY minds here do when they get to a door
architrave? I'm fitting laminate floor in the upstairs bedrooms as
there's not much wear and tear on them. I've lifted the skirting
boards and removed the architrave off one room and put new in after
laying the floor. It all looks good except for the slight gaps where
the architrave thins out by the door.

Any advice?

Thanks

You need to saw a little bit (slightly more than the thickness of the
laminate and underlay) off the bottoms of the door frames and architraves -
and slide the laminate underneath. You need to leave an expansion gap - but
can still hide the edge of the laminate under the frame/architrave.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

John Kelly October 2nd 04 06:38 PM

In article , says...
John Kelly wrote:

What do the collective DIY minds here do when they get to a door
architrave? I'm fitting laminate floor in the upstairs bedrooms as
there's not much wear and tear on them. I've lifted the skirting
boards and removed the architrave off one room and put new in after
laying the floor. It all looks good except for the slight gaps where
the architrave thins out by the door.

Any advice?

Thanks

You need to saw a little bit (slightly more than the thickness of the
laminate and underlay) off the bottoms of the door frames and architraves -
and slide the laminate underneath. You need to leave an expansion gap - but
can still hide the edge of the laminate under the frame/architrave.

Thanks but maybe I'm not clear. Because of the way the architrave thins
out as it approaches the door it's smaller than the expansion gap
required for the laminate. It's already on top of the laminate as is
the skirting board.

I just wondered whether anyone else had done this and what they'd done
to get round the problem.

Set Square October 3rd 04 12:44 AM

John Kelly wrote:

In article , says...

You need to saw a little bit (slightly more than the thickness of
the laminate and underlay) off the bottoms of the door frames and
architraves - and slide the laminate underneath. You need to leave
an expansion gap - but can still hide the edge of the laminate under
the frame/architrave.

Thanks but maybe I'm not clear. Because of the way the architrave
thins out as it approaches the door it's smaller than the expansion
gap required for the laminate. It's already on top of the laminate
as is the skirting board.

Are you saying that the architrave is thinner than the skirting?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Rob Morley October 3rd 04 12:49 AM

In article , "John
Kelly" pam says...
In article ,
says...
John Kelly wrote:

[...]

I think he means to cut a slot at the base of the frame to let in the
edge of the laminate.

I just wondered whether anyone else had done this and what they'd done
to get round the problem.

Could you cover it with a threshold strip?