DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Distemper problem (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/71664-distemper-problem.html)

Dave Cox October 1st 04 11:35 AM

Distemper problem

I've just stripped lining paper in a largish bedroom, 4m x 4m x 2.9m;
unfortunately the plaster is covered in patchy distemper.

From online research it seems that there are two types: water-based
distemper and oil-based. Since mine rubs off with a damp kitchen
scrubbing sponge I'd guess I have the water-based distemper.

I know I need to seal the surface using one of (1) clear stabilising
solution, (2) primer sealer, or (3) diluted PVA prior to applying
emulsion paint.

Can any of these sealers make the surface smooth enough that
subsequent coats of paint won't show the underlying patchiness, or
must I wash all of the distemper off first? It took me about 15
minutes to wash 1 square metre, and I'm not sure I want to spend 12
hours scrubbing walls!

Dave

Rob Morley October 1st 04 01:12 PM

In article , "Dave Cox"
says...
I've just stripped lining paper in a largish bedroom, 4m x 4m x 2.9m;
unfortunately the plaster is covered in patchy distemper.

From online research it seems that there are two types: water-based
distemper and oil-based. Since mine rubs off with a damp kitchen
scrubbing sponge I'd guess I have the water-based distemper.

I know I need to seal the surface using one of (1) clear stabilising
solution, (2) primer sealer, or (3) diluted PVA prior to applying
emulsion paint.

Can any of these sealers make the surface smooth enough that
subsequent coats of paint won't show the underlying patchiness, or
must I wash all of the distemper off first? It took me about 15
minutes to wash 1 square metre, and I'm not sure I want to spend 12
hours scrubbing walls!

Does steaming with a wallpaper stripper make it easier?

N. Thornton October 2nd 04 05:59 PM

Dave Cox wrote in message . ..
I've just stripped lining paper in a largish bedroom, 4m x 4m x 2.9m;
unfortunately the plaster is covered in patchy distemper.

From online research it seems that there are two types: water-based
distemper and oil-based. Since mine rubs off with a damp kitchen
scrubbing sponge I'd guess I have the water-based distemper.

yup. Hot water and detergent will make it far quicker though.

I know I need to seal the surface using one of (1) clear stabilising
solution, (2) primer sealer, or (3) diluted PVA prior to applying
emulsion paint.

why? It always puzzles me when folk say that. I've always had better
results using water than pva.

Can any of these sealers make the surface smooth enough that
subsequent coats of paint won't show the underlying patchiness

sealers or other paint coats dont make the surface smooth. Filler and
plaster do.

or
must I wash all of the distemper off first?

Bathroom, old waterbased paint... I would.

It took me about 15
minutes to wash 1 square metre, and I'm not sure I want to spend 12
hours scrubbing walls!

Lifes fun eh. Speed it up: hot water, detergent, and I might try using
a soft floor sweeping brush for it too, it might work.

If you really want a minimum work job, just wipe it clean and paint
with lime paint. And repaint next year.

NT