Lee Conway

Default Regulations for fitting a Gas cooker.

Can anyone tell me (or point me to) the regulations covering gas
supplies to free standing cookers in the UK? This is for domestic
use.

What I have now is a 15mm copper pipe coming up through the kitchen
floor by the edge of a wall. The pipe is secured to the wall with
metal clips (screwed in to the wall) and goes up 3 feet. At the end of
the pipe is the socket that I plug the hose coming out of the cooker
into. It's all very secure, just exposed.

There's no shielding around the pipe and the cooker is stood right
next to it however the pipe never gets hot, even when the oven is on.

Next to the cooker is a kitchen unit so the pipe is kind of behind
this and the cooker so it's not in a position to recieve a knock from
anything. You can just see it at the back of the gap between the unit
and the cooker.

It's been like this for years and is quite safe but I am wondering
whether there are any regs that demand double shielding for exposed gas
pipes or require the cooker to be a certain distance from the socket
etc?

Many thanks.

Tim Mitchell

In article , Lee Conway
writes
[...]

This sounds totally normal, mine was like this until we replaced it with
a built in cooker. No doubt Ed will be along shortly with the official
line.
--
Tim Mitchell
Peter

"Tim Mitchell" wrote in message
In article , Lee Conway
writes
[...]

Sounds ok

All covered by gas installation and use regulations also refer to
instruction manual.

The rubber hose should hang free but not touch the floor, the baynet fitting
should be pointing downwards and the cooker should have an anti tilt braket
to the floor or be chained to the wall at the top. A space of 750mm should
be above the cooker with hoods cupboards etc

Peter

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:16:47 +0000, Peter wrote:

[...]

Room must not contain a bath or shower (!).
Room must have a door, window or other opening direct to outside air.
Room must have a volume greater than 10m^3 (or 5m^3 plus 50cm^2 permanent
vent).

Unless other wise stated. 28mm each side from combustible materials.
150mm each side at or above the pan supports from combustible materials
(IIRC), This is easy to be caught out on if the cooker is lower than the
work tops to the side.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk