Bob

Default Varnishing over Paint

I've been repainting my kitchen cupboard doors using dulux satinwood,
since none of the kitchen makeover paints were available in the colour
I wanted.

To give a hardwearing, washable finish, I thought I should then add a
few coats of varnish. However, the varnish leaves a patchy,
grubby-looking finish (even when using brand new brushes) which makes
me wonder whether it is incompatible with the paint below.

Does anyone know if this is likely to be the problem, and more to the
point, what kind of varnish I should be using?

Thanks

Bob
chris French

In message , Bob
writes
I've been repainting my kitchen cupboard doors using dulux satinwood,
since none of the kitchen makeover paints were available in the colour
I wanted.

We did the same about 4 years ago.

To give a hardwearing, washable finish, I thought I should then add a
few coats of varnish.

I didn't bother though I thought about it, the finish is wearing well,
no problem keeping it clean

Does anyone know if this is likely to be the problem, and more to the
point, what kind of varnish I should be using?

What are you using now?
--
Chris French, Leeds
Alex

Varnish is for bare wood or stained wood,not oil based gloss surfaces.

Stephen Hull

In message
"Alex" wrote:

Varnish is for bare wood or stained wood,not oil based gloss surfaces.

Not true,

Some gloss oil paints (Tekaloid) actually recommend varnishing with a
linseed oil varnish.

Steve.

--
Vehicle Painting Pointers: http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Alex wrote:
Varnish is for bare wood or stained wood,not oil based gloss surfaces.

Wonder if Constable knew this? ;-)

Never heard of coach painting?

--
*Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all?"

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Simon

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
Stephen Hull wrote in message

In message
(Bob) wrote:

I've been repainting my kitchen cupboard doors using dulux satinwood,
since none of the kitchen makeover paints were available in the colour
I wanted.

To give a hardwearing, washable finish, I thought I should then add a
few coats of varnish. However, the varnish leaves a patchy,
grubby-looking finish (even when using brand new brushes) which makes
me wonder whether it is incompatible with the paint below.

What varnish are you using, If water base then you'll get much better
results using either an oil or a polyurathane base varnish.

Does anyone know if this is likely to be the problem, and more to the
point, what kind of varnish I should be using?

Personally I'd use an oil based varnish, But I would say that

Steve.

It's a polyurathane varnish, but even using clean, new brushes, the
finish looks dirty. The nice light creamy yellow finish of the
satinwood paint looks as if it has been covered with dirty dishwater.
The doors now look as if they were painted ten years ago!

I figured it must be something to do with the varnish (and it can't be
just this pot, because I knocked it over and had buy another one!).

Bob

Try Polyvines water-bourne Varnish it won't affect the colour, key on with a
light sanding first (sounds like you will have to sand to get rid of the old
varnish anyway) and use a water based Eggshell paint next time.

Question about varnishing hard wood Paul Moore UK diy 12 July 29th 03 01:18 PM
Latex paint Julian Fowler UK diy 2 July 16th 03 04:30 PM
How I clean emultion paint rollers - found the web site for a cleaner duncan UK diy 2 July 15th 03 10:09 PM
Protecting paint tins from frost ben UK diy 4 July 7th 03 10:33 PM
Paint Problem BigWallop UK diy 0 July 5th 03 10:29 PM