Bob H

Default uPVC glazing bead

Huge wrote:
Does anyone make uPVC glazing bead for use in wooden "Georgian"
style windows?

Despite soaking the bead in Cuprinol and using the Dulux three-stage
exterior paint system, most of mine have rotted away in 18 months
or so.

The windows are fine (John Carr), but the glass bead is hopeless.

What is the shape of the section on your wooden glazin beads?
I can't really tell you if *proper* pvc glazing beads are made for
wooden windows, but you might get away with something like upvc quadrant

--
Bob H
Leeds UK
Graeme

"Bob H" wrote in message
Huge wrote:
Does anyone make uPVC glazing bead for use in wooden "Georgian"
style windows?

Despite soaking the bead in Cuprinol and using the Dulux three-stage
exterior paint system, most of mine have rotted away in 18 months
or so.

The windows are fine (John Carr), but the glass bead is hopeless.

What is the shape of the section on your wooden glazin beads?
I can't really tell you if *proper* pvc glazing beads are made for
wooden windows, but you might get away with something like upvc quadrant

Ah, now you've mentioned uPVC quadrant, where do you get this stuff from?
Small lengths, not a 15m pack.

Graeme

"Huge" wrote in message
"Graeme" writes:
"Bob H" wrote in message
Huge wrote:
Does anyone make uPVC glazing bead for use in wooden "Georgian"
style windows?

Despite soaking the bead in Cuprinol and using the Dulux three-stage
exterior paint system, most of mine have rotted away in 18 months
or so.

The windows are fine (John Carr), but the glass bead is hopeless.

What is the shape of the section on your wooden glazin beads?
I can't really tell you if *proper* pvc glazing beads are made for
wooden windows, but you might get away with something like upvc

quadrant

Ah, now you've mentioned uPVC quadrant, where do you get this stuff from?
Small lengths, not a 15m pack.

15m would be fine. I have about 120 panes of glass to fix....

Well, I think even Screwfix sell uPVC quadrant. I just don't need 15m. 3m is
all I need.

Malc

Bob H wrote in message ...
Huge wrote:
Does anyone make uPVC glazing bead for use in wooden "Georgian"
style windows?

Despite soaking the bead in Cuprinol and using the Dulux three-stage
exterior paint system, most of mine have rotted away in 18 months
or so.

The windows are fine (John Carr), but the glass bead is hopeless.

What is the shape of the section on your wooden glazin beads?
I can't really tell you if *proper* pvc glazing beads are made for
wooden windows, but you might get away with something like upvc quadrant

If I could tap into this thread for a while. Is is possible to replace
the double glazed unit in uPVC windows. Ours are beginning to show
signs of internal condensation and I'm not sure how to a) remove the
unit from the frame and b) if replacement units are available

Thanks

--
Malc
Grunff

Malc wrote:

If I could tap into this thread for a while. Is is possible to replace
the double glazed unit in uPVC windows. Ours are beginning to show
signs of internal condensation and I'm not sure how to a) remove the
unit from the frame and b) if replacement units are available

Yes, it is (or should be) fairly straighforward. You remove the beads,
measure up, get a replacement unit made, put it in, replace beads.

--
Grunff

Malc

Grunff wrote in message ...
Malc wrote:

If I could tap into this thread for a while. Is is possible to replace
the double glazed unit in uPVC windows. Ours are beginning to show
signs of internal condensation and I'm not sure how to a) remove the
unit from the frame and b) if replacement units are available

Yes, it is (or should be) fairly straighforward. You remove the beads,
measure up, get a replacement unit made, put it in, replace beads.

Thanks. Last really dumb qusetion, by bead you mean the rubber strip
around the glass yes?

--
Malc
Bob H

Malc wrote:
Grunff wrote in message ...

Malc wrote:

If I could tap into this thread for a while. Is is possible to replace
the double glazed unit in uPVC windows. Ours are beginning to show
signs of internal condensation and I'm not sure how to a) remove the
unit from the frame and b) if replacement units are available

Yes, it is (or should be) fairly straighforward. You remove the beads,
measure up, get a replacement unit made, put it in, replace beads.

Thanks. Last really dumb qusetion, by bead you mean the rubber strip
around the glass yes?

No, not just the rubber strip (glazing gasket) but the bead itself as
well. You might be able to just prise one end of the black 'rubber' out
enough to pull it all out, then the beads will more or less fall out.

--
Bob H
Leeds UK
Bob H

Graeme wrote:

"Bob H" wrote in message

Huge wrote:

Does anyone make uPVC glazing bead for use in wooden "Georgian"
style windows?

Despite soaking the bead in Cuprinol and using the Dulux three-stage
exterior paint system, most of mine have rotted away in 18 months
or so.

The windows are fine (John Carr), but the glass bead is hopeless.

What is the shape of the section on your wooden glazin beads?
I can't really tell you if *proper* pvc glazing beads are made for
wooden windows, but you might get away with something like upvc quadrant

Ah, now you've mentioned uPVC quadrant, where do you get this stuff from?
Small lengths, not a 15m pack.

There's a company called Celuform which makes and supplies DG companies
with upvc products. You try them to see if and what they will supply to
you, or failing that look for a upvc trader in the yellow pages of your
area.

--
Bob H
Leeds UK
Graeme

"Bob H" wrote in message
Graeme wrote:

"Bob H" wrote in message

Huge wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Celuform have a pack quantity of 100m for quadrants (from their web
site), but I'll give them a call anyway.

chris French

In message , Bob H
writes
Graeme wrote:

"Bob H" wrote in message

Huge wrote:

[...]

Wickes sell various UPVC sections including quadrant - you can just get
a single 2.4 m length of whatever., as does a local hardware/wood place
near me
--
Chris French, Leeds

Malc

Bob H wrote in message ...
Malc wrote:
Grunff wrote in message ...

Malc wrote:

If I could tap into this thread for a while. Is is possible to replace
the double glazed unit in uPVC windows. Ours are beginning to show
signs of internal condensation and I'm not sure how to a) remove the
unit from the frame and b) if replacement units are available

Yes, it is (or should be) fairly straighforward. You remove the beads,
measure up, get a replacement unit made, put it in, replace beads.

Thanks. Last really dumb qusetion, by bead you mean the rubber strip
around the glass yes?

No, not just the rubber strip (glazing gasket) but the bead itself as
well. You might be able to just prise one end of the black 'rubber' out
enough to pull it all out, then the beads will more or less fall out.

Cheers. Our glazing gaskets seem to come out quite easily and often
droop out of the window until I glue them back up.

--
Malc