DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bathroom - Fitting a new sink & wc (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/70599-bathroom-fitting-new-sink-wc.html)

Nodge September 21st 04 03:02 PM

Bathroom - Fitting a new sink & wc

I hope to fit a new sink and wc this weekend and any advice would be
appreciated.

Firstly the new sink and pedestal are different to the old one in that on
the new one the sink just rests on top of the pedestal without being
attached to it in any way. The old one was clamped to the pedestal via a big
plastic nut around the waste outlet which clamped against a sort of collar
at the top of the pedestal. Also on the old pedestal there were two screw
holes at the bottom to fix it to the floor but there aren't on the new one.
I understand the sink is fixed to the wall by means of two studs and held in
place by 2 nylon spacers and nuts. Now the slots in the sink are only 10mm
wide and the only studs I can get are 10mm ones so the studs only just go
through the slots. (They are obviously intended for sinks with wider slots
as they come with nylon sleeved spacers - the sleeve bit intending to fit
inside the slot in the sink). I'm thinking that the pedestal is supposed to
bare the weight of the sink while the wall fixing is just to hold it in
place. My worry is that unless the holes for the studs are positioned
perfectly then the pedestal wont be suporting the sink - it'll just be
wobbling around underneath. I'm thinking of using silicone sealant at the
joint of the sink/pedestal and the pedestal/floor to firm things up. Would
this be a good idea? Any other advice?

The new wc looks like being a problem as well. It has a close coupled
cystern and needs to sit closer to the wall than the old one. It looks like
the soil pipe poking through the wall has been extended with some plastic
piping so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to shorten it. It still
looks like the new wc will need to be raised maybe as much as an inch for
the outlet to feed into the soil pipe. I'm thinking of using mdf to raise
the wc. I plan to draw round the bottom of the wc and jig saw out the shape.
Would this be ok? Any other tips?

Thanks
Nodge