DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cutting Plastic Bath Panel (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/70585-cutting-plastic-bath-panel.html)

Paul Shortman September 20th 04 09:25 PM

Cutting Plastic Bath Panel

I need to cut some pieces out of a plastic bath panel. It is for a corner
bath, so curved in two planes, about 5mm thick. Attempts with a hacksaw
have so far proven the panel to be extremely brittle & prone to crack. I
don't have much hope that a jigsaw will be any better. Any ideas or
experience to share?

Thanks for your replies.

Paul Shortman.

Dave Jones September 20th 04 09:45 PM

"Paul Shortman" wrote in message
I need to cut some pieces out of a plastic bath panel. It is for a corner
bath, so curved in two planes, about 5mm thick. Attempts with a hacksaw
have so far proven the panel to be extremely brittle & prone to crack. I
don't have much hope that a jigsaw will be any better. Any ideas or
experience to share?

Thanks for your replies.

Paul Shortman.

A sharp stanley I usually find ok, have cut do a few repeat cut though.

Dave Jones

a September 21st 04 02:36 PM

I need to cut some pieces out of a plastic bath panel. It is for a corner
bath, so curved in two planes, about 5mm thick. Attempts with a hacksaw
have so far proven the panel to be extremely brittle & prone to crack. I
don't have much hope that a jigsaw will be any better. Any ideas or
experience to share?

Thanks for your replies.

Paul Shortman.

On a related note, there is a small crack in the top of our plastic bath
panel (only a few mm at the moment so you cant normally see it as it is
tucked up behind the rim of the bath) - is there anything I can put on the
back to stop/slow the crack spreading?

cheers

Dave.

John September 21st 04 03:59 PM

a wrote:
I need to cut some pieces out of a plastic bath panel. It is for a
corner bath, so curved in two planes, about 5mm thick. Attempts
with a hacksaw have so far proven the panel to be extremely brittle
& prone to crack. I don't have much hope that a jigsaw will be any
better. Any ideas or experience to share?

Thanks for your replies.

Paul Shortman.

On a related note, there is a small crack in the top of our plastic
bath panel (only a few mm at the moment so you cant normally see it
as it is tucked up behind the rim of the bath) - is there anything I
can put on the back to stop/slow the crack spreading?

cheers

Dave.

Drill a small hole *RIGHT* at the end of the crack the round hole should
stop further cracking, if you want to 'hide' it then you can put some tape
behind it and fill with a suitable colour of silicone or something.

HTH

John

Jerry Built September 28th 04 05:06 PM

Paul Shortman wrote:
I need to cut some pieces out of a plastic bath panel. It is
for a corner bath, so curved in two planes, about 5mm thick.
Attempts with a hacksaw have so far proven the panel to be
extremely brittle & prone to crack. I don't have much hope
that a jigsaw will be any better. Any ideas or experience
to share?

Use a padsaw or similar with a very pronounced "set", using
the narrow tip of the blade, not pushing too hard! A jigsaw
should also be OK, but if it "bounces" you risk shattering
your panel.

J.B.