DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bush Sealing (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/70556-bush-sealing.html)

AndyM September 19th 04 09:21 PM

Bush Sealing

Hello,

I have fitted thermostatic valves to all my radiators. Some, being old, needed
a 3/4 OD x 1/2 ID brass bush between the radiator collar and the new valve.

The bush does not tighten on the valve until the flats meet the body. Also the
bush is not flanged and does not match the profile of the 'sticky out bit' on
the radiator therefore there is only a sharp edge seal. I used what I thought
was adequate PTFE tape to seal all threads but the bush weeps water through the
inside diameter of the bush.

Q. How many turns of PTFE tape should I use?

Q. Is there a better method to seal threads like this like some stuff that
swells when it gets wet?

Many thanks

Andy
(Thanks to all posters re boilers by the way)

Dave Liquorice September 19th 04 11:21 PM

On 19 Sep 2004 20:21:34 GMT, AndyM wrote:

I have fitted thermostatic valves to all my radiators. Some, being
old, needed a 3/4 OD x 1/2 ID brass bush between the radiator collar
and the new valve.

Didn't the new valves come with a matching tail to screw into the
radiator? I fitted new valves to a very old radiator (plumbed in
imperial pipe old) and 3/4" BSP is still 3/4" BSP. B-)

I've yet to see two valves of different age or make that have the same
design joint between tail and valve...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail