DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cooker hood wiring again! (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/705-cooker-hood-wiring-again.html)

John Greenwood July 29th 03 10:43 AM

Cooker hood wiring again!

Hello,

Sorry for another post about this, please bear with me.

My goal is to install the following cooker hood with no visible wiring and
be able to isolate it for changing bulbs/filters safely.

http://www.boschappliances.co.uk/pro...=DKE%20975%20B

My current thinking, thanking all those who replied last time, is:

Install an unswitched 13amp socket behind the chimney into which the hood
will be plugged in.
This socket is then wired to the nearest double socket on my kitchen ring
circuit via a visible 20amp DP switch.

Questions:

1. Is a 20amp DP switch safe to use like this?
2. Can I place the 20amp DP switch directly into the ring circuit, just like
I would with an FCU?
3. I don't really like the unswitched 13amp socket behind the hood, what
with steam and heat, etc.

Has anybody installed a similar cooker hood with no visible wiring? If so
how did you do it!

This is driving me mad!

Thanks,

John

Nathan Critchlow-Watton July 29th 03 02:22 PM

Cooker hood wiring again!

"John Greenwood" wrote in message m...
Hello,

Sorry for another post about this, please bear with me.

My goal is to install the following cooker hood with no visible wiring and
be able to isolate it for changing bulbs/filters safely.

My current thinking, thanking all those who replied last time, is:

Install an unswitched 13amp socket behind the chimney into which the hood
will be plugged in.
This socket is then wired to the nearest double socket on my kitchen ring
circuit via a visible 20amp DP switch.

There was an existing 13 amp single socket above the cupboards in the
kitchen; when we took the cupboards down I moved the socket to be
hidden behind the chimney as you describe, and plugged the extractor
in there. The single (switched) socket is itself a spur from a double
socket behind the cooker.
No problems with damp or steam so far - and the kitchen gets pretty
steamy, even with the extractor hood!

nathan

Ian Clowes July 30th 03 09:47 AM

Cooker hood wiring again!

(Ian Clowes) wrote in message . com...

Just make sure that wherever you put the socket won't foul any part of
the extractor. This may mean putting it off centre.

Which includes not putting it where you'll drill through the wall for
the extractor, BTW!

HTH
IanC

Baxter Basics July 31st 03 11:10 AM

Cooker hood wiring again!

Hi,

I am doing a similar thing. Was thinking of using a weather-proof plug and
socket, or just chopping off the molded plug and feeding the flux thru the
side of the chimney to an FSO.

Bax