DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   wiring 240V spot lights (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/7046-wiring-240v-spot-lights.html)

Wheelbarrowbob March 15th 04 08:02 PM

wiring 240V spot lights

What is the best way to wire 4 recessed spots in a ceiling void.
Is it (a) use the existing ceiling rose and daisy chain all 4 lights off this
or
(b) Use a 4 terminal j box with main circuit cable going to a live and neutral
termination, the cable to first lamp going from neutral and a switch live
terminal and the switch wire from live and switch live terminal ( basically
replicating ceiling rose ) and daisy chain next spots.
Any advice much appreciated

Jerry. March 15th 04 09:31 PM

wiring 240V spot lights

"Wheelbarrowbob" wrote in message
What is the best way to wire 4 recessed spots in a ceiling void.
Is it (a) use the existing ceiling rose and daisy chain all 4 lights off

this
or
(b) Use a 4 terminal j box with main circuit cable going to a live and

neutral
termination, the cable to first lamp going from neutral and a switch live
terminal and the switch wire from live and switch live terminal (

basically
replicating ceiling rose ) and daisy chain next spots.
Any advice much appreciated

Depends on whether you don't mind the old ceiling rose being visible or not,
I know what I would want if I was fitting recessed light, and that would not
be an awful looking ceiling rose in the middle of the ceiling !

Lurch March 16th 04 12:32 AM

wiring 240V spot lights

On 15 Mar 2004 20:02:34 GMT, in uk.d-i-y
(Wheelbarrowbob) strung together this:

What is the best way to wire 4 recessed spots in a ceiling void.
Is it (a) use the existing ceiling rose and daisy chain all 4 lights off this
or
(b) Use a 4 terminal j box with main circuit cable going to a live and neutral
termination, the cable to first lamp going from neutral and a switch live
terminal and the switch wire from live and switch live terminal ( basically
replicating ceiling rose ) and daisy chain next spots.
Any advice much appreciated

I'd go for (b).
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Simon Avery March 17th 04 04:23 PM

wiring 240V spot lights

(Wheelbarrowbob) wrote:

Hello Wheelbarrowbob

W| What is the best way to wire 4 recessed spots in a ceiling
W| void. Is it (a) use the existing ceiling rose and daisy
W| chain all 4 lights off this or (b) Use a 4 terminal j box
W| with main circuit cable going to a live and
W| neutral termination, the cable to first lamp going from
W| neutral and a switch live terminal and the switch wire from
W| live and switch live terminal ( basically replicating
W| ceiling rose ) and daisy chain next spots. Any advice much
W| appreciated

I did:

(c) Junction box in the loft with five spurs off to the lights. Works
good. :)

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: