DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Silly Question (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/70329-silly-question.html)

Richard September 11th 04 04:00 PM

Silly Question

Where would you use screed as opposed to just concrete. I know screed
contains sharp sand but what applications would you use each for.

Cheers

Richard

Set Square September 11th 04 04:57 PM

Richard wrote:

Where would you use screed as opposed to just concrete. I know screed
contains sharp sand but what applications would you use each for.

Cheers

Richard

It is usually used for the top couple of inches of a solid floor. It gives a
smoother finish than concrete because there aren't any stones in it.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

bob September 11th 04 10:26 PM

(Richard) wrote in message . com...
Where would you use screed as opposed to just concrete. I know screed
contains sharp sand but what applications would you use each for.

Cheers

Richard

I think screed is used on top of the concrete to give the finished
level for flooring, usually when tiles are to be installed, so it
would be a thin layer. Sharp sand would be the aggregate rather than
stone. This may not be fully correct as there has been an amount of
wine involved.%-)

Tony Bryer September 12th 04 01:27 AM

In article , Bob
wrote:
I think screed is used on top of the concrete to give the finished
level for flooring, usually when tiles are to be installed, so it
would be a thin layer.

50mm is usual

Sharp sand would be the aggregate rather than stone. This may not
be fully correct as there has been an amount of wine involved.%-)

Yes 1(of cement):3-4 (sand) would be normal.

The Natural Philosopher September 12th 04 10:42 AM

Tony Bryer wrote:

In article , Bob
wrote:

I think screed is used on top of the concrete to give the finished
level for flooring, usually when tiles are to be installed, so it
would be a thin layer.

50mm is usual

Sharp sand would be the aggregate rather than stone. This may not
be fully correct as there has been an amount of wine involved.%-)

Yes 1(of cement):3-4 (sand) would be normal.

Screed is a much wekare mix than concrete and contains no stones.

I've been using a 10:1 mix of sharp sand and cement to bed stone slabs on.

Its striong enough, but concrete it ain't. Its cheaper as teh cement is
tehbig cost.

Its porous because teh faps between teh sand grains are not totally
filled with cement.

If you like, screed is simply snad loosely bound together with cement.

In flloring its normally mixed fairly dry as well, so it has no tendency
to slump. Then its sweated with a float to bring the water to the top
and create a sligthly better surface finish.

I'd say 5:1 is about right for floors.

Scott September 12th 04 12:17 PM

Tony Bryer wrote:

snip
Its striong enough, but concrete it ain't. Its cheaper as teh cement is
tehbig cost.

Its porous because teh faps between teh sand grains are not totally
filled with cement.

has someone swapped your e & h keys around on your keyboard? :)

N. Thornton September 12th 04 10:19 PM

"Scott" wrote in message ...
Tony Bryer wrote:

snip
Its striong enough, but concrete it ain't. Its cheaper as teh cement is
tehbig cost.

Its porous because teh faps between teh sand grains are not totally
filled with cement.

has someone swapped your e & h keys around on your keyboard? :)

I dont know about The Natural Philosopher, but some of us have them
swapped oevr in our brains. Why not. Its called lysdexia btw.

Regards, NT