DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Router - home made adjustable parallel guide ? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/6982-router-home-made-adjustable-parallel-guide.html)

Rob Graham March 13th 04 08:53 PM

Router - home made adjustable parallel guide ?

One of the weaknesses with the cheaper routers is the basicness of the
parallel guide. I was thinking about finding a way you improve mine
and was sure I would find somebody on the net who would have tackled
this already and posted his design, but no such luck. Any ideas
anyone ? I've got a lathe, etc.

Rob

Lurch March 13th 04 09:06 PM

Router - home made adjustable parallel guide ?

On 13 Mar 2004 12:53:48 -0800, in uk.d-i-y (Rob
Graham) strung together this:

One of the weaknesses with the cheaper routers is the basicness of the
parallel guide. I was thinking about finding a way you improve mine
and was sure I would find somebody on the net who would have tackled
this already and posted his design, but no such luck. Any ideas
anyone ? I've got a lathe, etc.

Make it longer?
I've done the same with dodgy circular saw guides that weren't
particularly guiding, more dragging along behind limping.
Is that what you mean or am I reading it wrong?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Steven Briggs March 13th 04 09:15 PM

Router - home made adjustable parallel guide ?

In message , Rob Graham
writes
One of the weaknesses with the cheaper routers is the basicness of the
parallel guide. I was thinking about finding a way you improve mine
and was sure I would find somebody on the net who would have tackled
this already and posted his design, but no such luck. Any ideas
anyone ? I've got a lathe, etc.

Rob

Simplest way is to fit a longer, straight piece on timber to the face of
the parallel fence.
--
Steve

mike March 14th 04 09:23 AM

Router - home made adjustable parallel guide ?

If it's one of the Elu clones, Axminster do an adjustable side fence
for less than six quid:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=AW635R

Rob Graham March 14th 04 11:37 AM

Router - home made adjustable parallel guide ?

Steven Briggs wrote in message ...
In message , Rob Graham
writes
One of the weaknesses with the cheaper routers is the basicness of the
parallel guide. I was thinking about finding a way you improve mine
and was sure I would find somebody on the net who would have tackled
this already and posted his design, but no such luck. Any ideas
anyone ? I've got a lathe, etc.

Rob

Simplest way is to fit a longer, straight piece on timber to the face of
the parallel fence.

Sorry guys - that's not what I meant - I've been there and done that.

What I was thinking of was making it 'micro adjustable'. I'm quite
prepared on the other hand for someone to say that there is no
particulat advantage.

Rob

Rob Graham March 14th 04 07:56 PM

(mike) wrote in message . com...
If it's one of the Elu clones, Axminster do an adjustable side fence
for less than six quid:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=AW635R

Thanks - it'll be worth 6 quid to find it doesn't fit my B & Q special
(inevitably) but at least I can copy it or adjust as necessary.

Rob

sPoNiX March 14th 04 08:34 PM

Router - home made adjustable parallel guide ?

On 14 Mar 2004 11:56:47 -0800, (Rob Graham)
wrote:

Thanks - it'll be worth 6 quid to find it doesn't fit my B & Q special
(inevitably) but at least I can copy it or adjust as necessary.

Let is know if it fits your B&Q router...if so I'll buy one!

sPoNiX

mike March 14th 04 10:24 PM

Router - home made adjustable parallel guide ?

If it's one of the Elu clones, Axminster do an adjustable side fence
for less than six quid:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=AW635R

Thanks - it'll be worth 6 quid to find it doesn't fit my B & Q special
(inevitably) but at least I can copy it or adjust as necessary.

Rob

Rob,

Suggest you look at this as well:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=AW127R

Not absolutely sure but I think both Axminster routers are made by the
same folks who make the PP / PPPro ones. If so you might need the
side fence for the bigger router. It's not lisetd on the website but
would be worth an e-mail to Axminster as they seem pretty good at
supplying spares.

HTH,

Mike