Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wood hardener/sash windows

I made these sashes and the box frames over 20 years ago, and they have
been very sadly neglected. Having purchased a nice selection of
Mighton's draughtproofing products, I have been removing the sashes to
apply them.

This is what the top meeting rail and bottom rail look like:

https://i.ibb.co/fx5HWqF/IMG-20210615-164657.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/jT4rzgT/IMG-20210615-164705.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/TkpTtgB/IMG-20210615-191213.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/kqsWRxT/IMG-20210615-191221.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/ZThN0bt/IMG-20210615-191235.jpg

On another window, I did a proper job and replaced the rotten rails, but
this one I'm hoping to bodge.

Am I expecting too much of wood hardener/filler?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Bacon wrote:
I made these sashes and the box frames over 20 years ago, and they have
been very sadly neglected. Having purchased a nice selection of
Mighton's draughtproofing products, I have been removing the sashes to
apply them.

This is what the top meeting rail and bottom rail look like:

https://i.ibb.co/fx5HWqF/IMG-20210615-164657.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/jT4rzgT/IMG-20210615-164705.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/TkpTtgB/IMG-20210615-191213.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/kqsWRxT/IMG-20210615-191221.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/ZThN0bt/IMG-20210615-191235.jpg

On another window, I did a proper job and replaced the rotten rails, but
this one I'm hoping to bodge.

Am I expecting too much of wood hardener/filler?

Likely, yes. If you've chosen a wood which rots easily - like most you'll
find today - any filler, no matter what, won't last that long.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Wood hardener v CA John Woodturning 11 January 20th 08 11:09 PM
Wood hardeners: epoxy vs. CA vs. minwax hardener vs. Polyall etc... Joe Woodworking 1 October 5th 06 04:04 AM
Wood hardeners: epoxy vs. CA vs. minwax hardener vs. Polyalletc... B A R R Y Woodworking 2 October 3rd 06 06:18 PM
Wood hardeners: epoxy vs. CA vs. minwax hardener vs. Polyalletc... Chris Friesen Woodworking 2 October 3rd 06 04:25 PM
PC-Petrifier wood hardener Peter Hyde Woodturning 0 August 29th 04 06:11 PM