Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Virgin media pop3 servers

This is a long shot but does any virgin media subscriber use pop3 servers on
their VM emails?
I like it because being blind, its easy to set up message filtering to
folders and put in custom blocks. All has been well until yesterday, Friday,
morning when after 6am ish, it stopped accepting the password. Now imap
using exactly the same password works, so my guess is that either their
servers are broken, or they have inadvertently blocked a port for logging in
at their end.
Sadly talking to the people you get through to on first line, who now seem
to be in the UK, I have a struggle to explain email actually exists outside
of webmail which is mostly a pain to use for us blind folk. At least with
pop3 you can auto sort the mail, it has the same common interface whether
you are on gmail blogs mail or vms mail so no new shortcut keys to find,
remember we can't see the whole screen and thus the mouse is useless.

So if you do have pop 3 is it busted?
I cannot see any other reason why imap should work but pop3 does not, Both
work in the same email client on google so the program is working fine and
two other machines one running xp have exactly the same issue, one of them
outside the virgin network which should work as its been doing so for years.
I don't believe in such a mega coincidence that all software and several
machines and connections are at fault as is being implied by the virgin call
people who did try to put me onto second line but I sat for 45 minutes with
no reply listening to inane pop music, all three tracks and it did my head
in.

So I'm not a dumb old blindy, as I feel they think, I've been doing this
stuff for years, with few issues. Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 08:27:43 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

[...]

Hi Brian,

I have Virgin pop3, and all seems ok with mine (so far!) Checked a few
minutes ago, and mail coming through.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We have some VM (and Blueyonder) accounts which use POP3. No problems
today.

We had problems yesterday. As did others judging by the VM "community"
forum. IMAP was OK. I assumed different logon processes for the servers.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It looks like this. No help from them on the phone so here is how I fixed
it. I go back a very long way, so have an old log in script...
For those with long memories you may recall that the flag to leave on server
was not respected by the servers, and the work around was to add
recent: onto the start of the user name. It appears at some time between
late Thursday night and about 9am Friday morning, they changed their servers
log in to the standard form, and hence the recent: was seen as part of the
username, not a flag.
So to get back onto the server you have to remove it from the servers log
in info and then save it again. Obviously nobody y told the staff or any
customers they were doing this. I had to just try it as one of my tests,
luckily the old corporate amnesia did not affect my brain as it had theirs.

"Robin" wrote in message
We have some VM (and Blueyonder) accounts which use POP3. No problems
today.

We had problems yesterday. As did others judging by the VM "community"
forum. IMAP was OK. I assumed different logon processes for the servers.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am so sorry Brian. I'd also used the "recent:" prefix from when VM
first used Gmail in 2005 and stripped it out yesterday when resetting
accounts to try to get back in. I didn't mention it as others on the VM
forum reported POP3 problems without mentioning the recent prefix so I
assumed the way we got back in was coincidence rather than causation.

Heh ho, at least VM are consistent in appearing to have no regard for
any customer who's been around a few years.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2021 11:54, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
It looks like this. No help from them on the phone so here is how I fixed
it. I go back a very long way, so have an old log in script...
For those with long memories you may recall that the flag to leave on server
was not respected by the servers, and the work around was to add
recent: onto the start of the user name. It appears at some time between
late Thursday night and about 9am Friday morning, they changed their servers
log in to the standard form, and hence the recent: was seen as part of the
username, not a flag.
So to get back onto the server you have to remove it from the servers log
in info and then save it again. Obviously nobody y told the staff or any
customers they were doing this. I had to just try it as one of my tests,
luckily the old corporate amnesia did not affect my brain as it had theirs.
Brian

Confused me for a moment or two Brian as I noticed some VM email
accounts not logging in. I reviewed the server settings and decided the
recent: would be the first thing to try and it was the issue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One might expect that the first people to tell would be their staff on the
helpline though, would you not. After all it was who I rang and asked the
question, what in email did you change last night?

Nobody seemed to know.
Bah Humbug.