DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cement broken away from corner roof tiles (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/687112-cement-broken-away-corner-roof-tiles.html)

pinnerite June 10th 21 09:37 PM

Cement broken away from corner roof tiles

I have just moved into an elderly but well-built bungalow.

The cement infill at one corner of the roof has brocken away.

As it is easily reachable with a ladder I want to fill it myself.

I would like to use a ready-mixed product.

I am in easy reach of Screwfix and Tool Station.

Is it feasible? If so which product?

TIA

--
Mint 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.

Another John June 10th 21 10:02 PM

Cement broken away from corner roof tiles

In article ,
pinnerite wrote:

I have just moved into an elderly but well-built bungalow.

The cement infill at one corner of the roof has brocken away.

As it is easily reachable with a ladder I want to fill it myself.

I would like to use a ready-mixed product.

I am in easy reach of Screwfix and Tool Station.

Is it feasible? If so which product?

How much do you need?

To mend very small patches, I have used Fischer Express Cement Premium
- it comes in a tube, to be used with a standard sealant gun.

It's made with some kind of resin rather than water, so it sets quickly,
and is rock hard in a short time. However it may be entirely unsuitable
for what you want.

John

John Rumm June 11th 21 12:41 AM

On 10/06/2021 21:37, pinnerite wrote:
I have just moved into an elderly but well-built bungalow.

The cement infill at one corner of the roof has brocken away.

As it is easily reachable with a ladder I want to fill it myself.

I would like to use a ready-mixed product.

I am in easy reach of Screwfix and Tool Station.

Is it feasible? If so which product?

Something like:

https://www.toolstation.com/blue-cir...tar-mix/p68861

Is ideal for small jobs like this.

Dispense some into a bucket add a little water at a time and mix to the
consistency you need.

--
Cheers,

John.

Chris J Dixon June 11th 21 09:07 AM

pinnerite wrote:

I have just moved into an elderly but well-built bungalow.

The cement infill at one corner of the roof has brocken away.

Which reminds me that I need to have somebody else look at my
roof as I seem to have some cement loss from the verges, and the
odd slightly moved tile. I am not working at height myself.

I guess I will need to get some prices. I notice that there seem
to be quite a lot of plastic verge sets being fitted. Are they a
good thing, or a moneymaking scheme for questionable traders?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Andy Burns[_13_] June 11th 21 09:14 AM

Chris J Dixon wrote:

I need to have somebody else look at my
roof as I seem to have some cement loss from the verges, and the
odd slightly moved tile. I am not working at height myself.

I've got that job too, though I've reached the point where I won't use
roof ladders, I don't mind a decent double ladder with stand-off, and my
steel midsole boots on, especially as it's above the garage roof anyway.

I guess I will need to get some prices. I notice that there seem
to be quite a lot of plastic verge sets being fitted. Are they a
good thing, or a moneymaking scheme for questionable traders?

The retrofitted ones round here look a bit ugly to me, are there any
better systems that the fly-by-nights don't use?

John Rumm June 11th 21 11:04 AM

On 11/06/2021 09:07, Chris J Dixon wrote:
pinnerite wrote:

I have just moved into an elderly but well-built bungalow.

The cement infill at one corner of the roof has brocken away.

Which reminds me that I need to have somebody else look at my
roof as I seem to have some cement loss from the verges, and the
odd slightly moved tile. I am not working at height myself.

I guess I will need to get some prices. I notice that there seem
to be quite a lot of plastic verge sets being fitted. Are they a
good thing, or a moneymaking scheme for questionable traders?

"Dry" verge and ridge sets seem very popular with the new house builders
these days. Presumably because they are quick and save labour and time
on site. The verge sets always look less attractive than traditional
mortared verges to my eye, but that may just be a case of familiarity.

--
Cheers,

John.

GB June 11th 21 11:32 AM

On 11/06/2021 00:41, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/06/2021 21:37, pinnerite wrote:
I have just moved into an elderly but well-built bungalow.

The cement infill at one corner of the roof has brocken away.

As it is easily reachable with a ladder I want to fill it myself.

I would like to use a ready-mixed product.

I am in easy reach of Screwfix and Tool Station.

Is it feasible? If so which product?

Something like:

https://www.toolstation.com/blue-cir...tar-mix/p68861

Is ideal for small jobs like this.

Dispense some into a bucket add a little water at a time and mix to the
consistency you need.

How can they have the cheek to write "ready to use" on the tub?

John Rumm June 11th 21 01:17 PM

On 11/06/2021 11:32, GB wrote:
On 11/06/2021 00:41, John Rumm wrote:
On 10/06/2021 21:37, pinnerite wrote:
I have just moved into an elderly but well-built bungalow.

The cement infill at one corner of the roof has brocken away.

As it is easily reachable with a ladder I want to fill it myself.

I would like to use a ready-mixed product.

I am in easy reach of Screwfix and Tool Station.

Is it feasible? If so which product?

Something like:

https://www.toolstation.com/blue-cir...tar-mix/p68861

Is ideal for small jobs like this.

Dispense some into a bucket add a little water at a time and mix to
the consistency you need.

How can they have the cheek to write "ready to use" on the tub?

Spose you could argue that is about as ready to use as you are going to
get a cement based product, if you want to choose its final shape :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

williamwright June 11th 21 02:10 PM

Cement broken away from corner roof tiles

On 11/06/2021 00:41, John Rumm wrote:

https://www.toolstation.com/blue-cir...tar-mix/p68861

Is ideal for small jobs like this.

Dispense some into a bucket add a little water at a time and mix to the
consistency you need.

As stiff as you can handle it. The stiffer the better.

Bill

John Rumm June 11th 21 02:50 PM

On 11/06/2021 14:10, williamwright wrote:
On 11/06/2021 00:41, John Rumm wrote:

https://www.toolstation.com/blue-cir...tar-mix/p68861

Is ideal for small jobs like this.

Dispense some into a bucket add a little water at a time and mix to
the consistency you need.

As stiff as you can handle it. The stiffer the better.

We still talking mortar here? :-)

For a verge you probably want a little bit of moisture in there to get
good suction onto the tiles, but yup a fairly stiff mix will be good.
(those premixed buckets tend to have some lime and plasticizer in the
mix already)

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman (News) June 11th 21 03:29 PM

John Rumm wrote:
For a verge you probably want a little bit of moisture in there to get
good suction onto the tiles, but yup a fairly stiff mix will be good.
(those premixed buckets tend to have some lime and plasticizer in the
mix already)

Yup. I'd say you want a mortar as flexible as possible and not too strong.
The ordinary mix most roofers seem to use on ridge tiles soon falls out.

--
*I didn't like my beard at first. Then it grew on me.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

John Rumm June 11th 21 06:16 PM

John Rumm wrote:
For a verge you probably want a little bit of moisture in there to get
good suction onto the tiles, but yup a fairly stiff mix will be good.
(those premixed buckets tend to have some lime and plasticizer in the
mix already)

Yup. I'd say you want a mortar as flexible as possible and not too strong.
The ordinary mix most roofers seem to use on ridge tiles soon falls out.

Probably one of those cases where a traditional lime mortar works better.

--
Cheers,

John.

Andrew[_22_] June 12th 21 01:44 PM

Cement broken away from corner roof tiles

On 11/06/2021 18:16, John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* John Rumm wrote:
For a verge you probably want a little bit of moisture in there to get
good suction onto the tiles, but yup a fairly stiff mix will be good.
(those premixed buckets tend to have some lime and plasticizer in the
mix already)

Yup. I'd say you want a mortar as flexible as possible and not too
strong.
The ordinary mix most roofers seem to use on ridge tiles soon falls out.

Probably one of those cases where a traditional lime mortar works better.

The Marley-modern gable-end tiles of my 1976 house were bedded in the
same reddish mortar used for the external brickwork, and then before
it had set they scraped it back a few mm and worked a layer of mortar
with a black dye.
This bedding is still present and is sound. When I did some work on
the corners, I was amazed at how strong this mortar was. Very difficult
to remove from the tiles and needed to be wacked really hard with a
club hammer to break it up.

williamwright June 13th 21 08:11 PM

John Rumm wrote:
For a verge you probably want a little bit of moisture in there to get
good suction onto the tiles, but yup a fairly stiff mix will be good.
(those premixed buckets tend to have some lime and plasticizer in the
mix already)

Yup. I'd say you want a mortar as flexible as possible and not too strong.
The ordinary mix most roofers seem to use on ridge tiles soon falls out.

No you want it as strong as hell.

Bill

Dave Plowman (News) June 14th 21 12:24 AM

Cement broken away from corner roof tiles

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
For a verge you probably want a little bit of moisture in there to get
good suction onto the tiles, but yup a fairly stiff mix will be good.
(those premixed buckets tend to have some lime and plasticizer in the
mix already)

Yup. I'd say you want a mortar as flexible as possible and not too
strong. The ordinary mix most roofers seem to use on ridge tiles soon
falls out.

No you want it as strong as hell.

Bill

Roofs tend to move a bit. Being timber based. That's why ordinary mortar
falls out.

--
*Sorry, I don't date outside my species.