Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

I don't tap or click my computer I operate it with the keyboard. I get
annoyed by sites that say for more info tap here, then hide it way down the
tab order in a page so you loose the will to live trying to focus it to
operate it.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:48:03 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Draw instead of drawer with a chest of draws on facebook.
Not annoy so much as just ****ed.

Commander Kinsey wrote

Tap instead of click.

You don't click anything with a smartphone.

You might aswell call it a click. It's precisely the same action. I even
see instructions on how to fix things say "tap or click", like phone users
are too stupid to know that click can be done with your finger.

App instead of program.

Works better than prog.

They both sound stupid. But as an Aussie you're more used to excessive
shortening of everything, like "arvo" would never be acceptable in the UK.

Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).

Not that pathetically anal.

The pathetic are the ones that insist on using the "correct" one.

Slowed up instead of slowed down
(slow is less speed, so must be down).

Not that pathetically anal.

It's a blatant contradiction!

People who write computer programs
that say "hello world" and nothing else

Doesn't happen enough to matter anymore.

I only need to see it once to want to kill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2021 15:48, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 14:14:59 +0000, Spike
wrote:

On 11/06/2021 11:36, T i m wrote:

The only ones that get close are those people repeat a lot at the end
of a sentence like 'do you know what I mean' or 'yeah' (as if to
prompt a response to confirm your continuing attention).

Then there's the odd character about that writes a statement in
sentences that end with a question mark?

Sometimes several in one short posting?

[You see what I did there?]

Yes, you made a **** of yourself, *again*.

You're too up yourself to see that Spike did it on purpose. To show that
people who make a statement with a question mark at the end look like ****s.

Except you're too myopic to see it. Presumably from desperation in
trying to score points and face-planting in the process.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Default Disgusting Troll-feeding Senile Blind Mole Alert!

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 15:49:41 +0100, Brainless & Daft, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered again:

I don't tap or click my computer I operate it with the keyboard. I get
annoyed by sites that say for more info tap here, then hide it way down the
tab order in a page so you loose the will to live trying to focus it to
operate it.
Brainless & Daft

I get annoyed by your feeding every idiotic filthy troll, you disgusting
handicapped blind mole!
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 15:47:50 +0100, Brainless & Daft, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered again:

My mission statement is to restore plain speaking...
Brainless & Daft

Your mission statement is to feed and support the most idiotic and filthiest
trolls on these groups, you disgusting troll-feeding blind mole!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11/06/2021 11:36, T i m wrote:

The only ones that get close are those people repeat a lot at the end
of a sentence like 'do you know what I mean' or 'yeah' (as if to
prompt a response to confirm your continuing attention).

Then there's the odd character about that writes a statement in
sentences that end with a question mark?

Sometimes several in one short posting?

[You see what I did there?]

Yes, you made a **** of yourself, *again*.

You're too up yourself to see that Spike did it on purpose.

Or, how about the idea that I 'got it' perfectly well and just
explained *why* I do what I do (and you snipped of course) but he (and
you) are both too thick / left brained to see it!

To show that
people who make a statement with a question mark at the end look like ****s.

Nope, see, you just confirmed 100% that *you* picked up the ****ty end
of the stick, *AGAIN*. See, Spuke didn't even need to signpost like he
did, I got it without, but because you use the same (crude) GPP module
( good luck knowing that reference so the Googling should keep you
busy all afternoon), you would both assume you would have to signpost
it for others as you would need it for yourselves.

That's why I don't generally even bother explaining anything to you as
it's like talking to a baby, or cyborg.

Except you're too myopic to see it.

Oh the irony.

Presumably from desperation in
trying to score points and face-planting in the process.

And how does that feel, given how many time you (both) do it (to
yourselves!!!!).

I bet another thing you wouldn't see is yet another personal attack on
me, when all I was doing was answering the OP's question with stuff
that didn't relate to either you, or yer left brained troll mate /
sock?

Really, how about you both see if you can find yourselves a grown-up
hobby, or women (ok, I appreciate the last one is pushing it), but
anything that means you are wholly dependent for me to have something
resembling a normal life? I mean it's flattering n all, just that I'm
embarrassed for the pair of you. ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/06/2021 15:48, T i m wrote:
Spike wrote:

On 11/06/2021 11:36, T i m wrote:

The only ones that get close are those people repeat a lot at the end
of a sentence like 'do you know what I mean' or 'yeah' (as if to
prompt a response to confirm your continuing attention).

Then there's the odd character about that writes a statement in
sentences that end with a question mark?

Sometimes several in one short posting?

[You see what I did there?]

Yes, you made a **** of yourself, *again*.

You're too up yourself to see that Spike did it on purpose. To show that
people who make a statement with a question mark at the end look like ****s.

Except you're too myopic to see it. Presumably from desperation in
trying to score points and face-planting in the process.

Spot on.

Perfect, thank you, putting *yourself* in the hole with ****Headxx and
not even realising why!

Bwhahahahahahaha ...!!!

Thanks! ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11/06/2021 11:36, T i m wrote:

The only ones that get close are those people repeat a lot at the end
of a sentence like 'do you know what I mean' or 'yeah' (as if to
prompt a response to confirm your continuing attention).

Then there's the odd character about that writes a statement in
sentences that end with a question mark?

Sometimes several in one short posting?

[You see what I did there?]

Yes, you made a **** of yourself, *again*.

You're too up yourself to see that Spike did it on purpose.

Or, how about the idea that I 'got it' perfectly well and just
explained *why* I do what I do (and you snipped of course) but he (and
you) are both too thick / left brained to see it!

So you finally got it, but not before your previous post.

Backpeddling after looking like a **** on so many counts.

Except you're too myopic to see it.

Oh the irony.

Presumably from desperation in
trying to score points and face-planting in the process.

And how does that feel, given how many time you (both) do it (to
yourselves!!!!).

I just feel sorry for the ****, who ends a statement with a ? and
doesn't realise it. Then when he does furiously backpedals.

I bet another thing you wouldn't see is yet another personal attack on
me, when all I was doing was answering the OP's question with stuff
that didn't relate to either you, or yer left brained troll mate /
sock?

It was no personal attack, it a general statement about ****s ending a
statement with a ?

If you take it personally, well, if the cap fits, best wear it.

Really, how about you both see if you can find yourselves a grown-up
hobby, or women (ok, I appreciate the last one is pushing it), but
anything that means you are wholly dependent for me to have something
resembling a normal life? I mean it's flattering n all, just that I'm
embarrassed for the pair of you. ;-(

I have several thanks. Yes thanks, I have a life that would be
considered bounded by 'norms'.

Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Jun 11, 2021 at 5:58:03 AM MST, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote
:

On 6/11/2021 7:08 AM, Buck Fiden wrote:
Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

The leftist MSM propagandists calling themselves journalists.

Tucker Carlson

Those on the left tend to use more sources, and the sources they use tend to
be more accurate.

Those on the right tend to seek out less reliable sources -- hence why Fox is
both the least reliable network AND the most trusted.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot
use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 16:23:56 -0400, micky wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:36:53 +0100, "Commander
Kinsey" wrote:

Tap instead of click.

That makes sense if you're talking about a phone.

App instead of program.

Definitely. The whole process of ignoring computer and writing only
about phones annoys me.

Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).

Yes, people should get that right.

Saying less when they mean fewer is annoying to me. My local news makes
that mistake almost daily. "Less people attended the art festival this
year." Less people? WTH is that? Amputees? They mean fewer people, of
course, but it annoys me that I have to mentally translate.

Also, orientated instead of oriented, or drownded instead of drowned.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Default What words or phrases annoy you?

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I think its the weird way of using old words.
Our vision is that this will inform our policies toward carbon
neutrality.
Ie lots of word to say, lets see if we can do it on the cheap, but I also
get annoyed by politicians dressing up things as something else.
We were at that time blind to this.

Instead of, I cocked it up cos I never read the memo, and in any case why
is blind used in that context? Blind is simply in the lack of sight. I
mean blind drunk, Blind faith, blind alley??

Those terms are useful. What other term would you use that is better ?

I also get annoyed with a gradual change to the names of organisations for
blind people calling themselves. Vision Australia, or London Vision, or
Vision foundation etc, Vision loss is fine, but these organisations sound
like some kind of hippy think tank, not a charity to help blind people,
what is wrong with blind, or vision loss or partially sighted??

Too long.

You get the same problem with disabled, the worst of the fools
dont like to admit that they are disabled and use other silly terms.

LGT* is even worse, I cant even get google to show me the latest version.

Its obvious why they do it by result is stupid.

Nothing, its yet another buzz word in the war for being noticed, but now
everyone has done it they all sound the same again!

The word Overarching seems to have been created in the last 15 years or
so. Strange nebulous word.

My mission statement is to restore plain speaking...

The death squad has its orders...

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Why is there no word as morer?

Because its what a little preschooler would say.

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 6/11/2021 9:20 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

"Price point" instead of "price."

They have different meanings and not interchangeable. I guess many don't
know that.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 08:46:33 +0100, Andy Bennet posted for all of us to
digest...

On 10/06/2021 17:36, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

At this present moment in time.

At the end of the day.

In the final analysis.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 10:13:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us to
digest...

On 6/11/2021 9:20 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

"Price point" instead of "price."

They have different meanings and not interchangeable. I guess many
don't know that.

Profit & mark up.

--
Tekkie
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/06/2021 15:16, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 14:13:54 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:36:53 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

People who pronounce 'aitch' as 'Haich'.
People who say 'anythink'.
People who say things like '3am in the morning'.
People who call the car the 'Robin Reliant'.

why this bias against owners of Robin Reliants?

It's the same bias as I have against owners of Escort Fords.

Cheers, T i m

Are they the same as Ford Escorts?

--
Adam
Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Jun 11, 2021 at 4:08:16 AM MST, "Buck Fiden" wrote
:

Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing else
- clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

The leftist MSM propagandists calling themselves journalists.

Why focus on the left when Fox is the least reliable... but also the most
trusted (conservatives seek out unreliable sources to trust).

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot
use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow
superior by attacking the messenger.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

In article , Rod Speed
wrote:
[...]

It's not the disabled who wantb other terms. It's those who "feel" for them.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:20:51 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Why is there no word as morer?

Because its what a little preschooler would say.

Nope, because both of you are brain damaged senile idiots!

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

on 6/10/2021, micky supposed :
Kinsey" wrote:

Tap instead of click.

That makes sense if you're talking about a phone.

App instead of program.

Definitely. The whole process of ignoring computer and writing only
about phones annoys me.

Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).

Yes, people should get that right.

Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).

Doesn't bother me. But it is interesting that people say both and
mean the same thing.

People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing else -
clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.

My own car radios have all been factory, but the truck I'm borrowing
says "Hi there" and something like Have a nice day, when I turn it on or
off.

Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.

It hasn't come up. I suppose people get it right or I might notice.

Forward instead of forwards.

Havben't noticed.

Also. i.e. instead of e.g. People get that wrong more than half of the
time, and in reverse too, wrong more than half the time. If they don't
understand Latin, they should use English. Maybe they should use
English even if they do understand Latin. It looks like an affectation,
even in books.

I also don't like "different than". It should be "different from".

Yes, different from is 'more better' than ( ===another pet peeve,
than/that ) the other one. Maybe 'more better' is similar to what Rod
was thinking about - 'more' modifier is completely unneeded superflouos
and pretty ( === another one ) redundant even though better is not
actually a superlative.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:18:00 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Those terms are useful. What other term would you use that is better ?

WTF has all this **** got to do with the three ngs you keep crossposting it
to, senile Ozzie troll?

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Rod Speed
wrote:
[...]

Don't believe that, I have seen some disabled groups that do that.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

on 6/10/2021, micky supposed :
Kinsey" wrote:

[...]

No it wasn't.

'more' modifier is completely unneeded superflouos

Some of those add emphasis.

and pretty ( === another one ) redundant even though better is not
actually a superlative.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On 6/11/2021 3:51 PM, charles wrote:
In article , Rod Speed
wrote:
[...]

Yes, the world is a better place since we no longer have retarded or
crippled people.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 22:01:57 +0100, "NY" wrote:

snip

People who use clichs or standard phrases, but get them the wrong way round
so they make no logical sense: "cheap at half the price" (it should be
"cheap at twice the price" if you mean "very cheap")

But it is right in it's first form.

Expanded it means 'It would *still* be cheap, even if it were twice
the price it is now'.

and that Americanism "I
could care less": no, you *don't* mean that, it makes no sense; you mean "[I
care so little that] I could *not* care less".

But as a phrase they have the same meaning.

You can / could 'care less' about something than you otherwise might.

snip

Cheers, T i m
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 06:37:54 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

No

LOL Sick idiot!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 06:36:06 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

It's not the disabled who wantb other terms. It's those who "feel" for
them.

Don't believe that, I have seen some disabled groups that do that.

ROTFLOL! ...and the pathological auto-contradicting continues...

What an ASSHOLE! LOL

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On 6/11/21 10:13 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/11/2021 9:20 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

"Price point" instead of "price."

They have different meanings and not interchangeable.* I guess many
don't know that.

The difference being.......?

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

wrote:
[...]

Back in the day, Moron, Imbecile and Idiot had specific IQ ranges to be
classified as such...

--

I yelled COW! at a woman on a bike and she gave me the finger. Then
she plowed her bike straight into the cow. I tried...
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On 6/11/2021 6:18 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 6/11/21 10:13 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/11/2021 9:20 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and
nothing else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to
say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

"Price point" instead of "price."

They have different meanings and not interchangeable.* I guess many
don't know that.

The difference being.......?

Simple. Price of this drill is $19.95

We make drills for different price points. The $20 range, the $50
range, the $100 range to reach different markets.

The $20 price point could be $15 to $25 depending on model.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

On 6/11/2021 6:24 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
[...]

And I worked with all of them over the years.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:36:53 +0100, "Commander
Kinsey" wrote:

Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

I don't like it when people say, My name is Dr. John Smith.

There are tv commercials for medical devices and procedures and
interviews were people say things like this.

They should say, My name is John Smith, or if they want, "I am Dr. John
Smith."

Dr. is a title and it's not part of their name. Same with all the other
titles, military, political, diplomatic, clerical, scholastic, royal,
semi-military like police and fire, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 11 Jun 2021 23:00:09 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:36:53 +0100, "Commander
Kinsey" wrote:

Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

I don't like it when people say, My name is Dr. John Smith.

There are tv commercials for medical devices and procedures and
interviews were people say things like this.

They should say, My name is John Smith, or if they want, "I am Dr. John
Smith."

Dr. is a title and it's not part of their name. Same with all the other
titles, military, political, diplomatic, clerical, scholastic, royal,
semi-military like police and fire, etc.

Also, using "obviously" for things that are not obvious.

What they usually mean is "not surprisingly".

Just this past week I heard someone say on the news, "This was obviously
the hardest decision of my life". We don't know what other decisions
he's had to make, or how hard that one was. There are other examples
that are even worse.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 12 Jun 2021 04:18:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

You get the same problem with disabled, the worst of the fools
dont like to admit that they are disabled and use other silly terms.

Disabled has a meaning, but it's not the one they think it is and it's
not the one they usually want. When you disable the starter motor, or
the AC, or anything, it doesn't work anymore. All of the "advocates
for the disabled" try to make the point that most of them are useful.
They can overcome their problems, either with technical help or just by
taking more time, etc. They are still able to do things. They are not
disabled. Sometimes they even call them "differntly abled", a terrible
construction but it still makes the point that they are not disabled.

The word they wanted they already had, handicapped. Handicapped means
you can do it but it takes longer or maybe you don't do it quite as
well. So golfers are given a handicap, but it's really an
anti-handicap to be able to compare their scores on a given day with
par.

IIUC jockey's who don't weigh as much as the other jockey's get weights
put on their horse to make the race fair, unrelated to the weight of the
jockey. The weight is a handicap, but the horse still finishes the
race.

All this started by a misunderstanding, thinking that handicap was
related to some kind of begging with a cap in one's hand, but that would
be capihand. The origin of handicap is different. It's an entirely
different word.

Strangely, afaict they still have handicap parking. I guess the
disabled are not allowed to park there, but then again, if they're
disabled, they can't drive anyhow.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 11 Jun 2021 19:58:01 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

[...]

Of course retarded was a gentle word when it was first used. It meant
that it took them longer to do something, as in the first meaning of the
word retard at dictionary.com, "to make slow; delay the development or
progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede." But as with
handicapped, it implied that they would finish, just later than others.
Unfortunately, maybe, this choice of words didn't fool onlookers when it
came to those who were so retarded that they never learned certain
things. Plus there are the nasty people who used it as insult. So the
word fell out of favor.

It reminds me of some of the words for prison. Reformatory, a place
where the person will be reformed. Penitentiary, a place where he will
do penitence (and maybe penance). Correctional Institute, a place where
he will be corrected. The similarity with retarded is that people
forget the original meaning of the word, and it just sounds like another
word for prison.

crippled people.

I think I agree that cripple is usually obsolete now because for so many
people there are prostheses and motorized things, so that most are not
as crippled as they once would have been, maybe not at all. But otoh,
when someone can't do something, saying he's crippled shouldn't be
offensive. Changing the words used doesn't make his health any better.

Have you ever seen the original version of The Best years of our Lives,
where the soldier who has lost both his forearms and hands returns home
from the war. Played by a man who was in just that situation.

Back in the day, Moron, Imbecile and Idiot had specific IQ ranges to be
classified as such...

I sort of knew that, but I wonder what they do now. Just use IQ
numbers?

And I worked with all of them over the years.

I've met many of your co-workers at one bar or another.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 11 Jun 2021 04:30:34 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 11 Jun 2021 08:46:33 +0100, Andy Bennet
wrote:

On 10/06/2021 17:36, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

At this present moment in time.

Yeah, that bothers me too, although I think what I've heard is slightly
different. It seems like a phoney effort to look competent and precise
because the things described don't even happen in a moment. Often they
take weeks. I first noticed this, and I think it started, from people
in the Nixon administration

"This point in time". That's what Herdelman and Erdelman used to say.

At the end of the day.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We make drills for different price points.* The $20 range, the $50
range, the $100 range to reach different markets.
The $20 price point could be $15 to $25 depending on model.

So a point is a range, glad that's cleared up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

People who pronounce 'aitch' as 'Haich'.
People who say 'anythink'.
People who say things like '3am in the morning'.
People who call the car the 'Robin Reliant'.

why this bias against owners of Robin Reliants?

It's the same bias as I have against owners of Escort Fords.

Cheers, T i m

Are they the same as Ford Escorts?

Do they still exist?

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.