UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21   Report Post  
Old June 10th 21, 10:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2021
Posts: 60
Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On 2021-06-10 1:06 p.m., gareth evans wrote:
On 10/06/2021 19:23, Peeler wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 18:54:19 +0100, gareth evans, another mentally
challenged, troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:


Listen up and park up instead of listen and park


What about "Don't feed the troll", troll-feeding asshole?


You are one sick kiddie.

I wonder if it is possible for the community of contributors
to this NG* to get you shut down on the simple basis of
your repeatedly exceeding the Breidbart limit?

start a petition

  #22   Report Post  
Old June 10th 21, 10:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2020
Posts: 1,340
Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:36:53 +0100, "Commander
Kinsey" wrote:

Tap instead of click.


That makes sense if you're talking about a phone.

App instead of program.


Definitely. The whole process of ignoring computer and writing only
about phones annoys me.

Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).


Yes, people should get that right.

Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).


Doesn't bother me. But it is interesting that people say both and
mean the same thing.

People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.


My own car radios have all been factory, but the truck I'm borrowing
says "Hi there" and something like Have a nice day, when I turn it on or
off.

Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.


It hasn't come up. I suppose people get it right or I might notice.

Forward instead of forwards.


Havben't noticed.


Also. i.e. instead of e.g. People get that wrong more than half of the
time, and in reverse too, wrong more than half the time. If they don't
understand Latin, they should use English. Maybe they should use
English even if they do understand Latin. It looks like an affectation,
even in books.

I also don't like "different than". It should be "different from".
  #23   Report Post  
Old June 10th 21, 10:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2021
Posts: 60
Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

On 2021-06-10 1:23 p.m., micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:36:53 +0100, "Commander
Kinsey" wrote:

Tap instead of click.


That makes sense if you're talking about a phone.

App instead of program.


Definitely. The whole process of ignoring computer and writing only
about phones annoys me.

Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).


Yes, people should get that right.

Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).


Doesn't bother me. But it is interesting that people say both and
mean the same thing.

People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.


My own car radios have all been factory, but the truck I'm borrowing
says "Hi there" and something like Have a nice day, when I turn it on or
off.

Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.


It hasn't come up. I suppose people get it right or I might notice.

Forward instead of forwards.


Havben't noticed.


Also. i.e. instead of e.g. People get that wrong more than half of the
time, and in reverse too, wrong more than half the time. If they don't
understand Latin, they should use English. Maybe they should use
English even if they do understand Latin. It looks like an affectation,
even in books.

I also don't like "different than". It should be "different from".
what's the difference i'm not here to care about what you like

  #24   Report Post  
Old June 10th 21, 10:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 41,004
Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?



"FromTheRafters" wrote in message
...
Rod Speed explained on 6/10/2021 :
gareth evans wrote
Commander Kinsey wrote


Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.


Listen up and park up instead of listen and park


Visitation instead of visit.

That damned yankee phrase I cant think of for the moment.


Cayn't get theyah from heeyah.


Nar, not that one. Said when telling someone to do something
immediately. Still cant think of it but that's just my dyslexia.

  #25   Report Post  
Old June 10th 21, 10:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2018
Posts: 2,760
Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

On 6/10/2021 3:53 PM, charles wrote:
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
gareth evans wrote
Commander Kinsey wrote


Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.


Listen up and park up instead of listen and park


Visitation instead of visit.


That damned yankee phrase I cant think of for the moment.


'expiration date' or 'expiry date'


OK, I'll bite. What is wrong with that commonly used phrase?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expiration_date



  #26   Report Post  
Old June 10th 21, 10:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2019
Posts: 15,560
Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 21:06:18 +0100, gareth evans, another mentally
challenged, troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:


What about "Don't feed the troll", troll-feeding asshole?


You are one sick kiddie.

I wonder if it is possible for the community of contributors
to this NG to get you shut down on the simple basis of
your repeatedly exceeding the Breidbart limit?


You don't have the slight feeling that it's actually the clinically insane
trolling attention whore and YOU, his troll-feeding senile idiot, who are
the real sickos here? No? VBG
  #27   Report Post  
Old June 10th 21, 10:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2015
Posts: 5,063
Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/10/2021 3:53 PM, charles wrote:
In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
gareth evans wrote
Commander Kinsey wrote


Tap instead of click.
App instead of program.
Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).
Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).
People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing
else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.
Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.
Forward instead of forwards.

Listen up and park up instead of listen and park


Visitation instead of visit.


That damned yankee phrase I cant think of for the moment.


'expiration date' or 'expiry date'


OK, I'll bite. What is wrong with that commonly used phrase?


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expiration_date


why not use expiry? It's shorter.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
"I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of boredom" Thomas Carlyle
  #28   Report Post  
Old June 10th 21, 10:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2019
Posts: 15,560
Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 16:23:56 -0400, micky mouse, the notorious,
troll-feeding, senile ASSHOLE, blathered again:



I also don't like "different than". It should be "different from".


I especially don't like trolling assholes and their troll-feedings senile
assholes, such as you are, micky mouse!
  #29   Report Post  
Old June 10th 21, 10:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2020
Posts: 192
Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

On 10/06/2021 21:23, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:36:53 +0100, "Commander
Kinsey" wrote:

Tap instead of click.


That makes sense if you're talking about a phone.

App instead of program.


Definitely. The whole process of ignoring computer and writing only
about phones annoys me.

Fewer instead of less (even though more has no equivalent).


Yes, people should get that right.

Slowed up instead of slowed down (slow is less speed, so must be down).


Doesn't bother me. But it is interesting that people say both and
mean the same thing.

People who write computer programs that say "hello world" and nothing else - clearly that program doesn't have the intelligence to say hello.


My own car radios have all been factory, but the truck I'm borrowing
says "Hi there" and something like Have a nice day, when I turn it on or
off.

Bothering to distinguish between burned and burnt.


It hasn't come up. I suppose people get it right or I might notice.

Forward instead of forwards.


Havben't noticed.


Also. i.e. instead of e.g. People get that wrong more than half of the
time, and in reverse too, wrong more than half the time. If they don't
understand Latin, they should use English. Maybe they should use
English even if they do understand Latin. It looks like an affectation,
even in books.

I also don't like "different than". It should be "different from".


One example that illustrates the lamentable level of education in
England despite the free and comprehensive schooling from age
5 to age 18 is the use of, "should of" as a misunderstood,
"should've", which is a contraction of, "should have"

  #30   Report Post  
Old June 10th 21, 11:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2019
Posts: 1,062
Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

"micky" wrote in message
...

I also don't like "different than". It should be "different from".



People who use clichés or standard phrases, but get them the wrong way round
so they make no logical sense: "cheap at half the price" (it should be
"cheap at twice the price" if you mean "very cheap") and that Americanism "I
could care less": no, you *don't* mean that, it makes no sense; you mean "[I
care so little that] I could *not* care less".

Then there's the ultimate "should of" ("I should of noticed that you were
wearing a new dress"). Grrrr. "Should have"... And that makes its way into
written English, so it's not just sloppy/hurried speech.


The thing that really makes my strangling-fingers start fidgeting (!) is
American-style business-meeting bull****: "leverage" (always pronounced the
US way - levveridge, even by Brits), "blue-sky thinking", "thinking out of
the box", "OpEx and RatEx", "run that up the flagpole and see who salutes",
"Reaching out [to someone]" etc. I suppose it's an offshoot of business
letter clichés from earlier times, such as "I beg to inform you that...",
"Assuring you of our best intentions at all times, I remain your loyal
servant" (*), and "Please find enclosed/attached..." (what's wrong with
"Here is..."?).


(*) Someone overdosed on the Uriah Heep obsequiousness tablets! So cringing
that it's prostrate. FFS, just say "Yours sincerely/faithfully" depending
whether you started with "Dear [name]" or "Dear Sir/Madam". Except that
addressing "Dear Sir/Madam" is not sufficiently gender-inclusive for the
Wokesters of today.



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OT: What words or phrases annoy you? Commander Kinsey[_3_] Home Repair 256 June 15th 21 10:48 PM
BART SEZ: I need help to fix and correct two phrases jew pedophile Ron Jacobson (jew pedophile Baruch 'Barry' Shein's jew aliash)[_2_] Home Repair 1 December 5th 18 04:41 PM
New Studio Phrases charlie b Woodworking 36 January 3rd 07 02:45 AM
Phrases that chill the spine..... david lang UK diy 42 January 13th 06 10:29 AM
Funny woodworking phrases on stuff Covey Woodworking 26 July 9th 05 10:54 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2022 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017