Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Storage ideas for redundant stairway

I'm about to make a stairway redundant at work, there's a WC beneath so
can't open the whole area up.

I'm thinking we'll use the space above the stairs for storage but how to
make the most of it?

Some sort of ferris wheel like contraption?
I'd be interested in other's ideas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 10:57:03 +0100, R D S wrote:

I'm about to make a stairway redundant at work, there's a WC beneath so
can't open the whole area up.

I'm thinking we'll use the space above the stairs for storage but how to
make the most of it?

Some sort of ferris wheel like contraption?
I'd be interested in other's ideas.

Probably not to stand another 'Lidl plastic utility cabinet' on the
lower stairs ... ;-(

Do you have access to the side of the stairs?

On a much smaller scale, when I build a bed across the end wall over a
worktop in the box room for stepdaughter I also built a set of free
standing stairs (better for bare feet than ladders / steps) from a
seat height platform at the bottom (first step onto the bottom step /
seat) then up the 4 steps to the side of the bottom of the bed).

So, not only did you have an 18" cube at the bottom of the stairs for
storage, but I also opened up the side from under the top tread down
to the bottom, put a shelf across and also provided access into the
back of the first riser from in there. The top tread was also
accessible from the side like a pigeon hole.

Basically the whole internal volume was accessible it was surprising
how much stuff it would take.

So *if* side access was available to you on yours, block off the
bottom with a vertical 'wall' and then shelve / partition out the
steps to suit the sort of things you might need to store?

If it isn't then I've seen different depth draws built around the
lower steps, maybe with some bulk storage space on top?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
I'm about to make a stairway redundant at work, there's a WC beneath so
can't open the whole area up.

I'm thinking we'll use the space above the stairs for storage but how to
make the most of it?

What do you want to store? Parts? Boxes? Paperwork? Timber? Sheet
materials?

Is this a single flight of stairs (like you'd get in a normal house), or is
it the kind where the stairs double back at a half-landing where the doors
to two floors are directly above each other? Roughly what are the
dimensions of the stairwell?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2021 11:47, Theo wrote:
R D S wrote:
I'm about to make a stairway redundant at work, there's a WC beneath so
can't open the whole area up.

I'm thinking we'll use the space above the stairs for storage but how to
make the most of it?

What do you want to store? Parts? Boxes? Paperwork? Timber? Sheet
materials?

Is this a single flight of stairs (like you'd get in a normal house), or is
it the kind where the stairs double back at a half-landing where the doors
to two floors are directly above each other? Roughly what are the
dimensions of the stairwell?

Theo

And is it part of a redundant fire escape route that will negate your
liability insurance if you remove it?

I would absolutely ask your local fire station fire prevention officer
to cast a beady, and if he oks it ask your insurance companie(s) what
they need for proof that you are all kosher in terms of fire safety,.

--
€œSome people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of €¨an airplane.€

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2021 11:47, Theo wrote:
R D S wrote:
I'm about to make a stairway redundant at work, there's a WC beneath so
can't open the whole area up.

I'm thinking we'll use the space above the stairs for storage but how to
make the most of it?

What do you want to store? Parts? Boxes? Paperwork? Timber? Sheet
materials?

Is this a single flight of stairs (like you'd get in a normal house), or is
it the kind where the stairs double back at a half-landing where the doors
to two floors are directly above each other? Roughly what are the
dimensions of the stairwell?

And the dimensions of the person(s) requiring access?

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2021 13:32, Robin wrote:
On 10/06/2021 11:47, Theo wrote:
R D S wrote:
I'm about to make a stairway redundant at work, there's a WC beneath so
can't open the whole area up.

I'm thinking we'll use the space above the stairs for storage but how to
make the most of it?

What do you want to store?Â* Parts?Â* Boxes?Â* Paperwork?Â* Timber?Â* Sheet
materials?

Is this a single flight of stairs (like you'd get in a normal house),
or is
it the kind where the stairs double back at a half-landing where the
doors
to two floors are directly above each other?Â* Roughly what are the
dimensions of the stairwell?

And the dimensions of the person(s) requiring access?

Surely you design using the British Standard Man? There is one. Although
many people are taller or fatter these days and many women are shorter,
but you can't design for every individual case.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2021 10:57, R D S wrote:
I'm about to make a stairway redundant at work, there's a WC beneath so
can't open the whole area up.

I'm thinking we'll use the space above the stairs for storage but how to
make the most of it?

Reminds me of this (mad) situation, skip forwards 4 minutes... but
that's a whole flat.

Making A Disused Store Safe - Thomas nagy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf_HLzGn50s

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 10/06/2021 10:57, R D S wrote:
I'm about to make a stairway redundant at work, there's a WC beneath so
can't open the whole area up.

I'm thinking we'll use the space above the stairs for storage but how to
make the most of it?

Reminds me of this (mad) situation, skip forwards 4 minutes...

Better done with
https://youtu.be/gf_HLzGn50s?t=240
but that's a whole flat.

Making A Disused Store Safe - Thomas nagy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf_HLzGn50s

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 03:56:03 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic cretins' endless absolutely idiotic
blather

On 10/06/2021 10:57, R D S wrote:
I'm about to make a stairway redundant at work, there's a WC beneath so
can't open the whole area up.

I'm thinking we'll use the space above the stairs for storage but how to
make the most of it?

Reminds me of this (mad) situation, skip forwards 4 minutes...

Better done with
https://youtu.be/gf_HLzGn50s?t=240

LOL Senile sociopath ALWAYS has to go one better (if doesn't simply
auto-contradict). LOL

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2021 18:46, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 10/06/2021 10:57, R D S wrote:
I'm about to make a stairway redundant at work, there's a WC beneath
so can't open the whole area up.

I'm thinking we'll use the space above the stairs for storage but how
to make the most of it?

Reminds me of this (mad) situation, skip forwards 4 minutes... but
that's a whole flat.

Perhaps should have mentioned but (when mindful of) I try not to waffle...

We now have access externally, the whole of the upstairs is being
brought into use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2021 10:57, R D S wrote:

Some sort of ferris wheel like contraption?

An acquaintance had a unit with a high ceiling.
He had a sort of floor to ceiling cabinet that had shelves in it that he
could call up to present themselves at an opening at the front.

There were plainly 2 columns of shelves which could travel around and up
and over.

I'm struggling to Google and find such.

Looking for lighting ideas for loft stairway franz frippl Home Repair 1 September 5th 07 09:37 PM
Finishing a basement stairway whyntnw Home Repair 4 August 6th 06 05:07 PM
sealing wall/plank joint in outside stairway landing david Home Repair 0 May 13th 06 07:51 PM
Loft Stairway Mark D UK diy 6 February 3rd 06 04:50 PM
Two switch stairway light wiring question Dan Home Repair 6 February 7th 04 04:19 PM