DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lifting a paving stone a few mm on one side (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/687092-lifting-paving-stone-few-mm-one-side.html)

R D S[_2_] June 9th 21 07:16 PM

Lifting a paving stone a few mm on one side

We've done a decent enough job on our patio but I have a couple of flags
i'm not happy with.

The flags are on a solid bed of mortar.

They need lifting on one side by just a few mm, i'm wondering if i'd be
better using some sort of adhesive/filler for this than adding a thin
wedge of extra mortar.

Opinions please.

Chris Bacon[_2_] June 9th 21 07:32 PM

On 09/06/2021 19:16, R D S wrote:
We've done a decent enough job on our patio but I have a couple of flags
i'm not happy with.

The flags are on a solid bed of mortar.

They need lifting on one side by just a few mm, i'm wondering if i'd be
better using some sort of adhesive/filler for this than adding a thin
wedge of extra mortar.

Opinions please.

Oh dear. You might not get them up easily. If you can, any old thing
will do I should think. Even earth as long as no stones in it. Sand?
They ain't going to escape the force of gravity....

GB June 9th 21 07:34 PM

On 09/06/2021 19:16, R D S wrote:
We've done a decent enough job on our patio but I have a couple of flags
i'm not happy with.

The flags are on a solid bed of mortar.

Mortar that has set? Or, you've just laid them?

R D S[_2_] June 9th 21 08:28 PM

On 09/06/2021 19:34, GB wrote:
On 09/06/2021 19:16, R D S wrote:
We've done a decent enough job on our patio but I have a couple of
flags i'm not happy with.

The flags are on a solid bed of mortar.

Mortar that has set? Or, you've just laid them?

A perimeter one was off to the point where I knew i'd want to redo it so
i lifted it before the mortar had gone off.

Another i've noticed since is internal, if it's stuck down it can stay,I
reckon when they're pointed I can forgive that one.

Flagging is yet another job i'd do differently next time! Nearly 50 and
still learning.

ARW June 9th 21 08:51 PM

On 09/06/2021 19:16, R D S wrote:
We've done a decent enough job on our patio but I have a couple of flags
i'm not happy with.

The flags are on a solid bed of mortar.

They need lifting on one side by just a few mm, i'm wondering if i'd be
better using some sort of adhesive/filler for this than adding a thin
wedge of extra mortar.

Opinions please.

Is the cat happy?

If so leave as it is.

They are going to be *******s to lift.

--
Adam

R D S[_2_] June 9th 21 09:06 PM

Lifting a paving stone a few mm on one side

On 09/06/2021 20:51, ARW wrote:

Is the cat happy?

We think so but he has 'resting bitch face', it's hard to tell.

If so leave as it is.

They are going to be *******s to lift.

One is lifted, if I can't get the other up, it can stay put.

I had a poltergeist style dream last night, I was walking on them and
they were rocking, then the ground beneath collapsed and it all went to
****.
I'm obviously obsessed. I need help.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) June 9th 21 09:56 PM

Lifting a paving stone a few mm on one side

No it might eventually crack it I'd suggest. How come its wobbly?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

R D S[_2_] June 9th 21 10:59 PM

On 09/06/2021 21:56, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
No it might eventually crack it I'd suggest. How come its wobbly?
Brian

It's not wobbly it just has a bit of a lean on after settling.

John Rumm June 9th 21 11:47 PM

On 09/06/2021 21:06, R D S wrote:
On 09/06/2021 20:51, ARW wrote:

Is the cat happy?

We think so but he has 'resting bitch face', it's hard to tell.

If so leave as it is.

They are going to be *******s to lift.

One is lifted, if I can't get the other up, it can stay put.

I had a poltergeist style dream last night, I was walking on them and
they were rocking, then the ground beneath collapsed and it all went to
****.
I'm obviously obsessed. I need help.

Well if you need to glue one in place without any space for a mortar
bed, then the ester bonding resins will do the job permanently while
also allowing a little packing out / gap filling:

https://www.toolstation.com/fischer-...n-resin/p52788

--
Cheers,

John.

Rod Speed June 10th 21 05:10 AM

Lifting a paving stone a few mm on one side

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

No it might eventually crack it I'd suggest.

Unlikely, but adhesive/filler/car body filler is easier.

How come its wobbly?

He ****ed up laying it.

Peeler[_4_] June 10th 21 09:39 AM

Lonely Obnoxious Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:10:47 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

No it might eventually crack it I'd suggest.

Unlikely

LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:

RobH June 10th 21 10:00 AM

On 09/06/2021 21:06, R D S wrote:
On 09/06/2021 20:51, ARW wrote:

Is the cat happy?

We think so but he has 'resting bitch face', it's hard to tell.

If so leave as it is.

They are going to be *******s to lift.

One is lifted, if I can't get the other up, it can stay put.

I had a poltergeist style dream last night, I was walking on them and
they were rocking, then the ground beneath collapsed and it all went to
****.
I'm obviously obsessed. I need help.

As others have said, it's not easy lifting internal paving stones /
flags. I know as I've tried it, and it takes a lot of patience as well
as time. It can be done but it's a bitch if it's not level the first time.