DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   More on bike rack problem (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/687085-more-bike-rack-problem.html)

Chris Bacon[_2_] June 9th 21 09:51 AM

More on bike rack problem

On 09/06/2021 10:55, Murmansk wrote:
I recently posted an item about a towbar-mounted bike rack and the problem I had with the attachment bolt getting stuck and being damaged when I removed it by force.

I've managed to order a new bolt from Witter and it will come with the bit of metal that holds the nut. My puzzle now is how I'm going to remove the bit of metal holding the bolt

This picture shows the thing in question

https://user.fm/files/v2-9b5da063c16...rier%20(1).jpg

From my picture it looks as though the thing would slide out but it won't because the metal has a slight "tab" punched in it on the inside at each end to make it wider than the hole it sits in. I've tried to pinch it with a G clamp and hammering it but it's too strong to move it.

I'm at a loss to know how I'll take the old one out and put the new one in?

I'm having trouble visualising the problem. You say you want to remove
the U-shaped component, but not how it "holds the bolt". Please elucidate.

Murmansk June 9th 21 11:55 AM

More on bike rack problem

I recently posted an item about a towbar-mounted bike rack and the problem I had with the attachment bolt getting stuck and being damaged when I removed it by force.

I've managed to order a new bolt from Witter and it will come with the bit of metal that holds the nut. My puzzle now is how I'm going to remove the bit of metal holding the bolt

This picture shows the thing in question

https://user.fm/files/v2-9b5da063c16...rier%20(1).jpg

From my picture it looks as though the thing would slide out but it won't because the metal has a slight "tab" punched in it on the inside at each end to make it wider than the hole it sits in. I've tried to pinch it with a G clamp and hammering it but it's too strong to move it.

I'm at a loss to know how I'll take the old one out and put the new one in?

newshound June 9th 21 12:03 PM

More on bike rack problem

On 09/06/2021 10:55, Murmansk wrote:
I recently posted an item about a towbar-mounted bike rack and the problem I had with the attachment bolt getting stuck and being damaged when I removed it by force.

I've managed to order a new bolt from Witter and it will come with the bit of metal that holds the nut. My puzzle now is how I'm going to remove the bit of metal holding the bolt

This picture shows the thing in question

https://user.fm/files/v2-9b5da063c16...rier%20(1).jpg

From my picture it looks as though the thing would slide out but it won't because the metal has a slight "tab" punched in it on the inside at each end to make it wider than the hole it sits in. I've tried to pinch it with a G clamp and hammering it but it's too strong to move it.

I'm at a loss to know how I'll take the old one out and put the new one in?

You mean the U-shaped piece? It looks more to me as if it is "riveted"
slightly on the outside, presumably on both sides.

I would just grind that region off with an angle grinder. Alternatively,
cut it in half at the middle where the screwdriver is, and slide each
half out in the appropriate direction.

Steve Walker[_5_] June 9th 21 12:13 PM

More on bike rack problem

On 09/06/2021 11:03, newshound wrote:
On 09/06/2021 10:55, Murmansk wrote:
I recently posted an item about a towbar-mounted bike rack and the
problem I had with the attachment bolt getting stuck and being damaged
when I removed it by force.

I've managed to order a new bolt from Witter and it will come with the
bit of metal that holds the nut. My puzzle now is how I'm going to
remove the bit of metal holding the bolt

This picture shows the thing in question

https://user.fm/files/v2-9b5da063c16...rier%20(1).jpg

Â*From my picture it looks as though the thing would slide out but it
won't because the metal has a slight "tab" punched in it on the inside
at each end to make it wider than the hole it sits in. I've tried to
pinch it with a G clamp and hammering it but it's too strong to move it.

I'm at a loss to know how I'll take the old one out and put the new
one in?

You mean the U-shaped piece? It looks more to me as if it is "riveted"
slightly on the outside, presumably on both sides.

I would just grind that region off with an angle grinder. Alternatively,
cut it in half at the middle where the screwdriver is, and slide each
half out in the appropriate direction.

I'd go for the latter. The frame appears to be galvanised and it'd be a
pity to grind that off while removing the peening.

newshound June 9th 21 12:21 PM

More on bike rack problem

On 09/06/2021 11:13, Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

I think plated rather than galvanised, but yes, I was going to say that
too. Angle grinder masters will stop just short, and the softened metal
lip will fold off when the main piece is tapped through with a drift.
Difficult to tell from the pictures which region has the best access.
Also, the scale is unclear, one might be able to use a Dremel size with
either the thin, unreinforced disks or the slightly thicker fibreglass
ones. I very seldom use the Dremel "grindstones", they are either slow
or wear at an alarming rate, or both.

Murmansk June 9th 21 12:35 PM

More on bike rack problem

It's not riveted, the U shaped bit, it's been cut, as it were three sides of a square, then the metal on the still-attached side of the square bent to make what I referred to as a "tab" stopping the thing sliding through the hole.

Andrew[_22_] June 9th 21 12:50 PM

More on bike rack problem

On 09/06/2021 11:35, Murmansk wrote:
It's not riveted, the U shaped bit, it's been cut, as it were three sides of a square, then the metal on the still-attached side of the square bent to make what I referred to as a "tab" stopping the thing sliding through the hole.

A photo of the whole thing mounted on the towbar ball would
help. It's difficult to comprehend how that thing attaches
from the photo.

newshound June 9th 21 02:02 PM

More on bike rack problem

On 09/06/2021 11:50, Andrew wrote:
On 09/06/2021 11:35, Murmansk wrote:
It's not riveted, the U shaped bit, it's been cut, as it were three
sides of a square, then the metal on the still-attached side of the
square bent to make what I referred to as a "tab" stopping the thing
sliding through the hole.

A photo of the whole thing mounted on the towbar ball would
help. It's difficult to comprehend how that thing attaches
from the photo.

+1, I can't square the second description in response to my comment with
the photo

T i m June 9th 21 03:11 PM

More on bike rack problem

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 03:35:35 -0700 (PDT), Murmansk
wrote:

It's not riveted, the U shaped bit, it's been cut, as it were three sides of a square, then the metal on the still-attached side of the square bent to make what I referred to as a "tab" stopping the thing sliding through the hole.

Could it be that you have to disassemble the whole thing and take one
of the side plates off to release it?

Cheers, T i m

newshound June 9th 21 06:53 PM

More on bike rack problem

On 09/06/2021 08:51, Chris Bacon wrote:
[...]

I wondered if the screwdriver was passing through the nut, which was
spot welded inside? Not obvious what the two "dings" are, unless they
located the nut prior to welding.

Murmansk June 11th 21 10:04 AM

More on bike rack problem

The U shaped bit has the nut welded to it, the screwdriver was shown passing through the nut. Having spoken to someone at Witter I'm advised I have to take the bolts out and prise it apart to get the U shaped thing out, then put the new one in and squeeze it back together in a vice.