Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default There's a frog in my Radio 4

Just been watching Dragons Den on BBC2 and at 08:30 the picture
pixellated on HD then froze.

A quick check for signal strength showed either nothing or
almost nothing on 48, 36, 35, 34, and 33 but ok on 29, so
Quest is fine but everything else has gone.

Then I tried Radio 4 FM on my Phillips cassette/radio at
the back of the house (south) and that cannot get a stereo
signal on 92.9 from the IoW. Just rotating the analogue
slightly up the dial and a French voice comes through
loudly, and clearer than R4. Rowridge is about 45 miles
away to the South West, but I have never had this sort of
co-channel interference before.

How far north is this getting I wonder ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 07:55, Andrew wrote:

Just been watching Dragons Den on BBC2 and at 08:30 the picture
pixellated on HD then froze.

A quick check for signal strength showed either nothing or
almost nothing on 48, 36, 35, 34, and 33 but ok on 29, so
Quest is fine but everything else has gone.

Then I tried Radio 4 FM on my Phillips cassette/radio at
the back of the house (south) and that cannot get a stereo
signal on 92.9 from the IoW. Just rotating the analogue
slightly up the dial and a French voice comes through
loudly, and clearer than R4. Rowridge is about 45 miles
away to the South West, but I have never had this sort of
co-channel interference before.

How far north is this getting I wonder ?.

Cornwall currently has a total ban on over-flights, perhaps they've
blotted out FM radio as well. Something to do with the G7 f*ck-fest,
perhaps.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

How far north is this getting I wonder ?.

All muxes ok here in Waltham-land.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 08:09:58 +0000, Spike
wrote:

[...]

Silly *******. International co-operation is important in a
globalised economy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its called tropospheric ducting and happens all the time. Its caused by a
layer of cool air which is fairly stable then a layer of a different
temperature, then a cold one again. Mist is often implicated.
Back in them old days of analogue we used to be able to get Denmarks Radio
tv down here in surrey on band 3 and German tv at uhf this way. Now though
the digital systems make the whole thing a mess.

This is different to the sporadic E layer reflections of lower frequencies
like band 1 of course though it has been known in summer for both to exist
together causing mayhem on fm particularly and boiling mud on dab etc.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andrew" wrote in message
Just been watching Dragons Den on BBC2 and at 08:30 the picture
pixellated on HD then froze.

A quick check for signal strength showed either nothing or
almost nothing on 48, 36, 35, 34, and 33 but ok on 29, so
Quest is fine but everything else has gone.

Then I tried Radio 4 FM on my Phillips cassette/radio at
the back of the house (south) and that cannot get a stereo
signal on 92.9 from the IoW. Just rotating the analogue
slightly up the dial and a French voice comes through
loudly, and clearer than R4. Rowridge is about 45 miles
away to the South West, but I have never had this sort of
co-channel interference before.

How far north is this getting I wonder ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew
writes
Just been watching Dragons Den on BBC2 and at 08:30 the picture
pixellated on HD then froze.

A quick check for signal strength showed either nothing or
almost nothing on 48, 36, 35, 34, and 33 but ok on 29, so
Quest is fine but everything else has gone.

Then I tried Radio 4 FM on my Phillips cassette/radio at
the back of the house (south) and that cannot get a stereo
signal on 92.9 from the IoW. Just rotating the analogue
slightly up the dial and a French voice comes through
loudly, and clearer than R4. Rowridge is about 45 miles
away to the South West, but I have never had this sort of
co-channel interference before.

How far north is this getting I wonder ?.

A Google of 'Tropospheric Ducting' and 'Sporadic E' will tell you all.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

A lot easier and less disruptive to meet on a spare (lots available at
the moment) cruise ship, mid-Atlantic, protected by ships from the
various nations.

Even better to have online discussions, or is it only the plebs that
must stay at home cut down on travel in coming years?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Silly *******.Â* International co-operation is important in a
globalised economy.

A lot easier and less disruptive to meet on a spare (lots available at
the moment) cruise ship, mid-Atlantic, protected by ships from the
various nations.

The G7 take turns to host their meetings, and this provides a
boost to the local economy where it is held.

St Ives is pretty remote and the holiday season has not started
yet anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 10:17, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Andrew
writes
Just been watching Dragons Den on BBC2 and at 08:30 the picture
pixellated on HD then froze.

A quick check for signal strength showed either nothing or
almost nothing on 48, 36, 35, 34, and 33 but ok on 29, so
Quest is fine but everything else has gone.

Then I tried Radio 4 FM on my Phillips cassette/radio at
the back of the house (south) and that cannot get a stereo
signal on 92.9 from the IoW. Just rotating the analogue
slightly up the dial and a French voice comes through
loudly, and clearer than R4. Rowridge is about 45 miles
away to the South West, but I have never had this sort of
co-channel interference before.

How far north is this getting I wonder ?.

A Google of 'Tropospheric Ducting' and 'Sporadic E' will tell you all.

Yes, but would that explain the almost complete absence of any
signal from 4 of the muxes, hardly any on 48 (BBC SD) but
29 (Quest) was perfectly normal ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spike wrote:

[...]

For more information on what has been happening to bring about the the
G7 in Carbis Bay, read this posting by Graham Easterling of uk.sci.weather:

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew posted
On 09/06/2021 10:40, Steve Walker wrote:
On 09/06/2021 10:13, Scott wrote:

Silly *******.* International co-operation is important in a
globalised economy.

A lot easier and less disruptive to meet on a spare (lots available
at the moment) cruise ship, mid-Atlantic, protected by ships from the
various nations.

The G7 take turns to host their meetings, and this provides a
boost to the local economy where it is held.

Some locals might benefit. many won't.

St Ives is pretty remote and the holiday season has not started
yet anyway.

Nonsense and nonsense.

--
Algernon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

we have to show at least two forms of identification before
we can get back in, including one photo-identity such as a passport or
driving licence.

Last time I checked it's not compulsory to have either of those in this
country, I've just given Lloyds bank an earful for assuming everybody
has one or the other.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 13:12, Andrew wrote:

A Google of 'Tropospheric Ducting' and 'Sporadic E' will tell you all.

Yes, but would that explain the almost complete absence of any
signal from 4 of the muxes, hardly any on 48 (BBC SD) but
29 (Quest) was perfectly normal ?.

You have co-channel interference on certain muxes, caused by the
abnormal propagation.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 15:47, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 14:05:05 +0000, Spike
wrote:

For more information on what has been happening to bring about the the
G7 in Carbis Bay, read this posting by Graham Easterling of uk.sci.weather:

Yebbut he doesn't live in the thick of it. I do! Mid-way on a straight
line between Carbis Bay and Tregenna Caste hotels, which are about 1km
apart. It's going on all around me and it's quite extraordinary here
at the moment.

Lots of large artics heavily laden with concrete crash barriers and
steel mesh fencing trundling by at frequent intervals.

Miles (literally) of 10ft high steel fencing going up, surrounding
both the Tregenna Castle and Carbis Bay hotel estates and beyond. Some
people have woken up to find their driveways have been blocked off
overnight! Heavy concrete crash barriers in several places. Some roads
blocked by massive drop-down barriers.

Over 5,000 police have been drafted in. I've spoken to a couple of
them - one had come from South Wales, another from Edinburgh -
they've been brought in from everywhere. Police and security people
everywhere, in ones, twos and little groups, some of them carrying
loaded firearms. They're being accommodated in camper vans on holiday
parks and on a spare cruise liner in Falmouth. I walked down into St.
Ives yesterday morning; all down one side of the road, for about a
mile, was a 10ft high steel fence, and on the pavement on the other
side were police and security people spaced every 20 yards.

Dozens of police cars, police vans and little military-type vehicles
like heavy-duty golf buggies running around (actually, they're farm
utility vehicles https://tinyurl.com/px352x2s ); marquees springing up
everywhere in fenced-off fields to provide toilets and meals.

Lots of cameras on lamp-posts; temporary radio masts have sprung up in
a couple of places;

There are several navy ships out in the bay and beyond. So far I've
seen HMS Northumberland (frigate), HMS Tyne, HMS Tamar (fisheries
patrol vessels), and patrol boats HMS Exploit, HMS Ranger and HMS
Blazer.

Then on Monday night five large helicopters twice flew low and almost
directly overhead towards Tregenna Castle - two large Sea-Kings and
three Ospreys (those tilt-rotor helicopters operated by the American
military https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Boeing_V-22_Osprey ).
Noisy buggers they were!

If we leave the 'restricted area' to go shopping in Penzance for
example, we have to show at least two forms of identification before
we can get back in, including one photo-identity such as a passport or
driving licence.

I've read that it's all costing £70 million, and all that for just
three days! At least we've had the roads resurfaced - our only
beneficial legacy I expect! I came across this Daily Mail article
which seems to give as fairly good description of it all - no doubt
other newspapers are doing something similar.
https://tinyurl.com/364x4cjp

I've simply got in enough food to cover the weekend, and I've put the
car away and will stay at home for the duration. On the one hand it's
quite appalling, but on the other it's quite fascinating!

The circus is coming to town!

Very interesting and informative post.

Bill

Turning 'Til There's No There There charlie b Woodturning 7 September 26th 06 05:32 PM
Why is a Frog on a plane called a Frog? TWS Woodworking 49 April 19th 06 05:19 AM
frog in toilet Melissa Home Repair 17 December 17th 04 01:22 AM
Wooden Plans for Frog Items Walt Conner Woodworking 4 October 11th 04 08:15 AM
Wooden Frog Help Please Walt Conner Woodturning 1 October 11th 04 01:32 AM