Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Watering can, galvanised on outside only?

Sick of all the plastic crap i've watched fade and crack over the years,
when I wanted a watering can I bought a nice shiny metal one.

I was pouring rusty water on my plants the other day and noted that it's
galvanised on the outside, but only the top inch or so on the inside.

So i'm emptying it each use and putting it away somewhere dry, seems
pointless to me galvanising it at all.

Is that right/normal?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

Sick of all the plastic crap i've watched fade and crack over the years,
when I wanted a watering can I bought a nice shiny metal one.

I was pouring rusty water on my plants the other day and noted that it's
galvanised on the outside, but only the top inch or so on the inside.

So i'm emptying it each use and putting it away somewhere dry, seems
pointless to me galvanising it at all.

Is that right/normal?

don't see how that's possible Hot dip galvanizing you have to immerse the whole thing in a tank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 23:40, Mark wrote:
R D S wrote:

Sick of all the plastic crap i've watched fade and crack over the years,
when I wanted a watering can I bought a nice shiny metal one.

I was pouring rusty water on my plants the other day and noted that it's
galvanised on the outside, but only the top inch or so on the inside.

So i'm emptying it each use and putting it away somewhere dry, seems
pointless to me galvanising it at all.

Is that right/normal?

don't see how that's possible Hot dip galvanizing you have to immerse the whole thing in a tank

But most cheaper stuff these days is *not* hot dip, it's some sort of
zinc plating, although I'm not sure how that works.

Also, it may have been coated before manufacture.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 23:40, Mark wrote:
R D S wrote:

I was pouring rusty water on my plants the other day and noted that it's
galvanised on the outside, but only the top inch or so on the inside.

So i'm emptying it each use and putting it away somewhere dry, seems
pointless to me galvanising it at all.

Is that right/normal?

don't see how that's possible Hot dip galvanizing you have to immerse the whole thing in a tank

I was going to suggest that Sir paints the inside with Black Jack (coal
tar varnish), but it seems you can't get that any more. There's probably
a not so good substitute...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 13:20, Chris Hogg wrote:
IMO the best cans are made
by Haws, traditional, they've been making cans for ever, and
expensive. https://haws.co.uk/collections/outdoor-watering-cans

I bet i've spent more over the years than a decent can from them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No, But it may be these days, seems completely ridiculous though. I have
come across some Upvc ones you see them often in garden centres used by the
company if they have on site growing fields or greenhouses, often in a
nondescript cream colour and a bit thicker and more sturdy than your
average crap ones. I wonder there they get them from? Luckily since I can't
see plants now, I tend to not worry about such things.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"R D S" wrote in message
Sick of all the plastic crap i've watched fade and crack over the years,
when I wanted a watering can I bought a nice shiny metal one.

I was pouring rusty water on my plants the other day and noted that it's
galvanised on the outside, but only the top inch or so on the inside.

So i'm emptying it each use and putting it away somewhere dry, seems
pointless to me galvanising it at all.

Is that right/normal?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 23:40, Mark wrote:
R D S wrote:

Sick of all the plastic crap i've watched fade and crack over the years,
when I wanted a watering can I bought a nice shiny metal one.

I was pouring rusty water on my plants the other day and noted that it's
galvanised on the outside, but only the top inch or so on the inside.

So i'm emptying it each use and putting it away somewhere dry, seems
pointless to me galvanising it at all.

Is that right/normal?

don't see how that's possible Hot dip galvanizing you have to immerse the whole thing in a tank

Or you dip the bottom 7/8ths which is water tight and only galvanises
the outside and then turn it over and dip the top 1/8th which is open
and therefore gets galvanised on inside and outside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2021 12:33, R D S wrote:
Sick of all the plastic crap i've watched fade and crack over the years,
when I wanted a watering can I bought a nice shiny metal one.

I was pouring rusty water on my plants the other day and noted that it's
galvanised on the outside, but only the top inch or so on the inside.

So i'm emptying it each use and putting it away somewhere dry, seems
pointless to me galvanising it at all.

Is that right/normal?

You've had a chemical in it that's removed the coating.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 12:04, Muddymike wrote:

You've had a chemical in it that's removed the coating.

It's had nobbut water in it. And an occasional teaspoon of Phostrogen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 12:54, R D S wrote:
On 09/06/2021 12:04, Muddymike wrote:

You've had a chemical in it that's removed the coating.

It's had nobbut water in it. And an occasional teaspoon of Phostrogen.

modern galvanising seems to be so thin it is just a film on the
metal surface. I replaced the manhole cover behind my house 25
years ago and within 10 years the galvanising has just gone, to
be replaced by rust. If I had known this would happen I would
have paid a bit more for one that was intended for public access
areas (but not vehicle-proof).

Buy cheap and you will buy twice. Drat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/06/2021 10:01, R D S wrote:
On 08/06/2021 13:20, Chris Hogg wrote:
IMO the best cans are made
by Haws, traditional, they've been making cans for ever, and
expensive. https://haws.co.uk/collections/outdoor-watering-cans

I bet i've spent more over the years than a decent can from them.

I think I paid £3 for mine at a car boot sale and it is perfect.
Has that really dark grey rough surface that you would expect
from something made in the UK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 08/06/2021 12:33, R D S wrote:
Sick of all the plastic crap i've watched fade and crack over the years,
when I wanted a watering can I bought a nice shiny metal one.

I was pouring rusty water on my plants the other day and noted that it's
galvanised on the outside, but only the top inch or so on the inside.

So i'm emptying it each use and putting it away somewhere dry, seems
pointless to me galvanising it at all.

Is that right/normal?

You've had a chemical in it that's removed the coating.

Unlikely he had acid in it.