DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rafters (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/687069-rafters.html)

JohnP June 8th 21 09:47 AM

Rafters

In my double hipped roof there was a timber nailed at an angle between two
of the centre rafters. It was in the way when I came to fit a loft ladder
so I removed it!
I assumed it was there just to hold them in position when the timbers were
being installed when the house was being built..Sorry I cannot elaborate
with pictures, but do you think this could be likely? It wasn't nailed
particularly well

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] June 8th 21 10:07 AM

Rafters

On 08/06/2021 09:47, JohnP wrote:
In my double hipped roof there was a timber nailed at an angle between two
of the centre rafters. It was in the way when I came to fit a loft ladder
so I removed it!
I assumed it was there just to hold them in position when the timbers were
being installed when the house was being built..Sorry I cannot elaborate
with pictures, but do you think this could be likely? It wasn't nailed
particularly well

Very likeley if it was of suitably light/poor grade

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Andrew[_22_] June 8th 21 11:18 AM

Rafters

On 08/06/2021 09:47, JohnP wrote:
In my double hipped roof there was a timber nailed at an angle between two
of the centre rafters. It was in the way when I came to fit a loft ladder
so I removed it!
I assumed it was there just to hold them in position when the timbers were
being installed when the house was being built..Sorry I cannot elaborate
with pictures, but do you think this could be likely? It wasn't nailed
particularly well

Diagonal bracing (or lack of) is something that surveyors always look
for, even if the property has roof trusses and the gable-ends are brick
and block right up to the apex providing plenty of lateral restraint.

Andy Burns[_13_] June 8th 21 11:39 AM

Rafters

JohnP wrote:

In my double hipped roof there was a timber nailed at an angle between two
of the centre rafters. It was in the way when I came to fit a loft ladder
so I removed it!

I thought diagonal rafter bracing was permanent, not temporary during
install?

https://www.minera-rooftrusses.com/uploads/content/5d7f87d9aa3822.31934205.jpg

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] June 8th 21 01:09 PM

Rafters

On 08/06/2021 11:39, Andy Burns wrote:
JohnP wrote:

In my double hipped roof there was a timber nailed at an angle between
two
of the centre rafters. It was in the way when I came to fit a loft ladder
so I removed it!

I thought diagonal rafter bracing was permanent, not temporary during
install?

https://www.minera-rooftrusses.com/uploads/content/5d7f87d9aa3822.31934205.jpg

Can be either depending on what else is stopping the roof collapsing
sideways - typically hipped ends or a nice sold gable

Easy enough to put some bracing back if its felt to be necessary

Sn!pe[_3_] June 8th 21 02:16 PM

Rafters

Andy Burns wrote:

JohnP wrote:

In my double hipped roof there was a timber nailed at an angle between two
of the centre rafters. It was in the way when I came to fit a loft ladder
so I removed it!

I thought diagonal rafter bracing was permanent, not temporary during
install?

https://www.minera-rooftrusses.com/uploads/content/5d7f87d9aa3822.31934205.jpg

When we bought our '70s detached house 12 years ago our surveyor
noted that the rafters were not diagonally braced and recommended
that we should have it put in (done).

--
^Ï^ https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Andrew[_22_] June 8th 21 04:48 PM

Rafters

On 08/06/2021 14:16, Sn!pe wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

JohnP wrote:

In my double hipped roof there was a timber nailed at an angle between two
of the centre rafters. It was in the way when I came to fit a loft ladder
so I removed it!

I thought diagonal rafter bracing was permanent, not temporary during
install?

https://www.minera-rooftrusses.com/uploads/content/5d7f87d9aa3822.31934205.jpg

When we bought our '70s detached house 12 years ago our surveyor
noted that the rafters were not diagonally braced and recommended
that we should have it put in (done).

+1. It's a standard comment, mainly to cover themselves.

JohnP June 9th 21 09:18 AM

Rafters

install?

https://www.minera-rooftrusses.com/u...87d9aa3822.319
34205.jpg

Can be either depending on what else is stopping the roof collapsing
sideways - typically hipped ends or a nice sold gable

Easy enough to put some bracing back if its felt to be necessary

It is hipped at each end.The ridge is only about 8feet long so it is almost
a "pyramid".

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) June 9th 21 10:18 AM

Rafters

I doubt its structural in that case then. If idt was supposed to be then its
hard luck!
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please