Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Premium Bonds

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 05/06/2021 15:56, Peter Johnson wrote:
On Sat, 5 Jun 2021 12:52:58 +0100, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

Well that is five £25 wins in five months since I started...is this
normal ?

Depends how big your holding is, I'd say, and how recently it was
purchased. Recent purchases win more often than older ones because
there are more of them, so a large holding purchased in the last 12
months will produce more winners than a similarly large holding
purchased, say, five or ten years ago.
I've invested £3,000 over the last 18 months and haven't won anything.

A £2 bond that I bought in December 1965 won me £25 in 2014.

actually a 1 pound bond won you the prize

all bonds are for one pound, they just tinker with the minimum purchase from
time to time.

According to the RPI tables I would have needed to win £37 just
to get my spending power back though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2021 11:07, bert wrote:
In article , Andrew
writes
wrote:

Well that is five £25 wins in five months since I started...is this
normal ?
Â*Depends how big your holding is, I'd say, and how recently it was
purchased. Recent purchases win more often than older ones because
there are more of them, so a large holding purchased in the last 12
months will produce more winners than a similarly large holding
purchased, say, five or ten years ago.
I've invested £3,000 over the last 18 months and haven't won anything.

A £2 bond that I bought in December 1965 won me £25 in 2014.
According to the RPI tables I would have needed to win £37 just
to get my spending power back though.

You've still got your 2 quid though :-)

But he hasn't.

I just about remember 1965, and a packet of crisps was IIRC about tanner.

6d, 2.5p. Which means 80 for the two quid.

They're they best part of a quid per packet now.

You can do much the same calculation for _any_ good.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2021 22:12, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 07/06/2021 11:07, bert wrote:
In article , Andrew
writes
wrote:

[...]

According to

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/mone...ion-calculator

£2 in 1965 is worth just under £40 today.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2021 22:12, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 07/06/2021 11:07, bert wrote:
In article , Andrew
writes
wrote:

[...]

Wagon Wheels are my preferred method for measuring inflation,
not forgettng to take into account "shrinkflation"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew
wrote:
On 13/06/2021 22:12, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 07/06/2021 11:07, bert wrote:
In article , Andrew
writes
wrote:

[...]

Mars (bars) are another.

I can remember them at 4d each - now about £1 and smaller

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Premium bonds Jim GM4DHJ ... UK diy 20 May 20th 21 09:44 PM
premium bonds Jim GM4DHJ ... UK diy 0 May 18th 21 08:18 AM
OT my new premium bonds Jimmy Stewart ... UK diy 41 February 6th 21 02:43 PM
Brick quantities for various bonds Richard[_12_] UK diy 15 June 13th 11 12:20 PM
OT - "Some doubt triple-A rating for U.S. bonds" Cliff Metalworking 0 December 16th 04 03:47 PM