DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Immersion heater (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/686977-immersion-heater.html)

JohnP June 2nd 21 11:46 AM

Immersion heater

Daughter called me to look at immersion heater. The neutral connection had
failed. I trimmed back the cable and re-made the connections - but I felt a
bit un-easy as the terminals seemed quite poor - a post with a nut for N
and a small screw clamp in the thermostat for the +.

Are newer ones any better?

I am wondering if there is a better flexible that the one installed. Any
recommendations?

Steve Walker[_5_] June 2nd 21 12:49 PM

Immersion heater

On 02/06/2021 11:46, JohnP wrote:
Daughter called me to look at immersion heater. The neutral connection had
failed. I trimmed back the cable and re-made the connections - but I felt a
bit un-easy as the terminals seemed quite poor - a post with a nut for N
and a small screw clamp in the thermostat for the +.

Are newer ones any better?

I am wondering if there is a better flexible that the one installed. Any
recommendations?

That's normal as far as I have seen.

I suppose that you could (properly) crimp or solder a ring to the end of
the cable and put a serrated washer above and below. The screwed
terminal for the positive should be fine as long as it is fully tightened.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) June 2nd 21 04:16 PM

Immersion heater

Mine seems to have some kind of ptfe sleaving over the wires near the actual
connections, but I have to say the ends on the thermostat look and feel like
ordinary piece to me but no damage has ever occurred, so I guess its ok.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
. ..

Peter Able[_2_] June 2nd 21 06:16 PM

Immersion heater

On 02/06/2021 11:46, JohnP wrote:
Daughter called me to look at immersion heater. The neutral connection had
failed. I trimmed back the cable and re-made the connections - but I felt a
bit un-easy as the terminals seemed quite poor - a post with a nut for N
and a small screw clamp in the thermostat for the +.

Are newer ones any better?

There's usually two washers on the post, so that the wire is clamped
rather than screwed up. Otherwise what you describe is typical.

I am wondering if there is a better flexible that the one installed. Any
recommendations?

flexible what?

PA

Chris Green June 2nd 21 08:03 PM

Immersion heater

Peter Able wrote:
On 02/06/2021 11:46, JohnP wrote:
Daughter called me to look at immersion heater. The neutral connection had
failed. I trimmed back the cable and re-made the connections - but I felt a
bit un-easy as the terminals seemed quite poor - a post with a nut for N
and a small screw clamp in the thermostat for the +.

Are newer ones any better?

There's usually two washers on the post, so that the wire is clamped
rather than screwed up. Otherwise what you describe is typical.

I am wondering if there is a better flexible that the one installed. Any
recommendations?

flexible what?

The 'elegant' way to connect is surely to crimp a ring terminal to the
wire.

--
Chris Green
·

newshound June 2nd 21 10:26 PM

Immersion heater

On 02/06/2021 20:03, Chris Green wrote:
Peter Able wrote:
On 02/06/2021 11:46, JohnP wrote:
Daughter called me to look at immersion heater. The neutral connection had
failed. I trimmed back the cable and re-made the connections - but I felt a
bit un-easy as the terminals seemed quite poor - a post with a nut for N
and a small screw clamp in the thermostat for the +.

Are newer ones any better?

There's usually two washers on the post, so that the wire is clamped
rather than screwed up. Otherwise what you describe is typical.

I am wondering if there is a better flexible that the one installed. Any
recommendations?

flexible what?

The 'elegant' way to connect is surely to crimp a ring terminal to the
wire.

Indeed. Though many come with a dished washer with a cutaway, and at
least that generates a more secure connection than just a loop clamped
between two flat washers.