Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Is there any "market" for old electronics, even for free?

On Wed, 26 May 2021 21:11:33 +0100, Bob F wrote:

On 5/26/2021 12:02 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 26 May 2021 12:53:24 +0100, "Commander
Kinsey" wrote:

I guess IIUC UPS would wrap things for shipping if I sold on ebay, but
I'm not ready for that yet.

Has to be a fair price to bother with that. Ebay take 10%, then you pay shipping. If it's not going to make a profit, put it on freecycle,

The freecycle here is dying away. Get far fewer emails from them than 5
years ago. Though someone did take my gas lawnmower on Monday, and I
got a small stack of Handyman magazines yesterday.

But those are exceptions.

there will be someone who wants to play with old stuff, and you don't have to bother packing it, they come and collect it.

Ebay reaches more people. Those here who read Freecycle, or NextDoor,
or a community webpage I could use, don't know how to fiddle with any of
my old stuff.

When I post anything usable on freecycle or craigslist "free", it often
goes in minutes.

I thought Craigslist was a dating site?

The 50 yo cast iron table saw table took a couple days.

To carry it to the destination?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

I missed the start of this, what is the device exactly?
If its something tactile and modern stuff is not then if it works then
blind charities might be a good place to start.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
news

Kinsey" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I missed the start of this, what is the device exactly?

Micky in ahr wasn’t initially specific but later talked
about modems and routers and CRT tvs.

If its something tactile and modern stuff is not then if it works then
blind charities might be a good place to start.

No its not.

Kinsey" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile Blind MOLE Alert!

On Fri, 28 May 2021 08:07:22 +0100, Brainless & Daft, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered again:

I missed the start of this, what is the device exactly?
If its something tactile and modern stuff is not then if it works then
blind charities might be a good place to start.
Brainless & Daft

Are you at it again, you deteriorated troll-feeding senile mole?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Nym-Shifting Senile Australian Pest!

On Fri, 28 May 2021 17:14:30 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain Lastname wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Micky in ahr wasnt initially specific but later talked
about modems and routers and CRT tvs.

I've sold a CRT tv to a collector. Quite a young chap too.

(Would have had to be to carry it down the stairs.)

I still have a massive great Grundig that had to have
2 of us lift onto the low table thing it still sits on.

I might cry if I took it up the dump.

Old modem/routers, unless they're good ones that cost
£100+ new, or less than a couple of years old, are usually
close to worthless. The free ones given away by ISPs usually
aren't worth more than the £4.95 they charge for postage.

My Technicolor TG789vac v2 HP is brilliant. Much better wifi
than the previous DSL modem/routers I paid good money for.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Well if its a tv of the analogue type then retro gamers with old consoles or
computers are your target, if its modems, sadly not much call for them if
they have a psu though a lot of people might like an analogue psu to replace
the crappy switch mode ones that they supply now that make good radio
jammers.
I was thinking about radios when I talked about tactile, or indeed washing
machines or other devices with switches.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Kinsey" wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes my Virgin one is just being used as a modem and I have a good router on
the back of it.
I do have an old Buffalo router upstairs that will work but it cannot keep
up with fast internet speeds and there are no more firmware updates in any
case.
Old network switches seem to still work as long as you don't want breakneck
speeds for things connected to them.

"Owain Lastname" wrote in message
On Friday, 28 May 2021 at 08:14:39 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Micky in ahr wasn't initially specific but later talked
about modems and routers and CRT tvs.

I've sold a CRT tv to a collector. Quite a young chap too.

(Would have had to be to carry it down the stairs.)

Old modem/routers, unless they're good ones that cost £100+ new, or less
than a couple of years old, are usually close to worthless. The free ones
given away by ISPs usually aren't worth more than the £4.95 they charge for
postage.

Owain

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2021 14:20, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Well if its a tv of the analogue type then retro gamers with old consoles or
computers are your target

Snip

I've still got an old Microvitec Cub monitor, dedicated for the Sinclair
QL in my loft (although it can be adjusted to work with CGA, EGA or
rough equivalents).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 May 2021 19:50:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I still have a massive great Grundig that had to have
2 of us lift onto the low table thing it still sits on.

Don't forget to mention that you also got **** for brains, senile asshole
troll!

--
Xeno to senile Rodent:
"You're a sad old man Rod, truly sad."

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Well if its a tv of the analogue type then retro gamers with old consoles
or computers are your target,

Nope, they want flashy curved multiple screens.

if its modems, sadly not much call for them if they have a psu

Havent seen one that doesn’t use a plug
pack for getting on for half a century now.

though a lot of people might like an analogue psu to replace the crappy
switch mode ones that they supply now that make good radio jammers.

A microscopic handful imo.

I was thinking about radios when I talked about tactile,

Makes more sense to use alexa etc if you are blind.

Kinsey" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:15 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Sat, 29 May 2021 04:15:00 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2021 14:23, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Old network switches seem to still work as long as you don't want breakneck
speeds for things connected to them.

I inherited a heavy Netgear GS 524t switch and still haven't got round
to finding out what they do, care to enlighten me?

"Owain Lastname"
wrote in message

Old modem/routers, unless they're good ones that cost £100+ new, or less
than a couple of years old, are usually close to worthless. The free ones
given away by ISPs usually aren't worth more than the £4.95 they charge for
postage.

Owain

I'm glad you said that as I'm now going to take several modems, tens of
wall warts and about 10kg of various bits of computer wiring and plugs
to the tip as soon as there is no queue to get in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 May 2021 10:50:31 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Owain Lastname wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Micky in ahr wasnt initially specific but later talked
about modems and routers and CRT tvs.

I've sold a CRT tv to a collector. Quite a young chap too.

(Would have had to be to carry it down the stairs.)

I still have a massive great Grundig that had to have
2 of us lift onto the low table thing it still sits on.

I might cry if I took it up the dump.

In pain from physical exertion or from missing your favourite device?

Old modem/routers, unless they're good ones that cost
£100+ new, or less than a couple of years old, are usually
close to worthless. The free ones given away by ISPs usually
aren't worth more than the £4.95 they charge for postage.

My Technicolor TG789vac v2 HP is brilliant. Much better wifi
than the previous DSL modem/routers I paid good money for.

It's amazing how much ****ty WiFi stuff there is, things that can't go through one plasterboard wall!
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 May 2021 21:16:34 +0100, AJH wrote:

On 28/05/2021 14:23, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Old network switches seem to still work as long as you don't want breakneck
speeds for things connected to them.

I inherited a heavy Netgear GS 524t switch and still haven't got round
to finding out what they do, care to enlighten me?

How detailed are you looking for? Do you know what switches do?

"Owain Lastname"
wrote in message

Old modem/routers, unless they're good ones that cost £100+ new, or less
than a couple of years old, are usually close to worthless. The free ones
given away by ISPs usually aren't worth more than the £4.95 they charge for
postage.

I'm glad you said that as I'm now going to take several modems, tens of
wall warts and about 10kg of various bits of computer wiring and plugs
to the tip as soon as there is no queue to get in.

I just use the bins that are collected from my house. If things ain't recycled at my kerb, they go in the landfill bin. Routers would be though, we get a box for anything electrical, but it's not big enough for CRTs.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 May 2021 14:44:21 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

On 28/05/2021 14:20, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Well if its a tv of the analogue type then retro gamers with old consoles or
computers are your target

Snip

I've still got an old Microvitec Cub monitor, dedicated for the Sinclair
QL in my loft (although it can be adjusted to work with CGA, EGA or
rough equivalents).

I remember those at school on BBC computers. Great for giving static shocks to people.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Commander Kinsey wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Owain Lastname wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Micky in ahr wasnt initially specific but later talked
about modems and routers and CRT tvs.

I've sold a CRT tv to a collector. Quite a young chap too.

(Would have had to be to carry it down the stairs.)

I still have a massive great Grundig that had to have
2 of us lift onto the low table thing it still sits on.

I might cry if I took it up the dump.

In pain from physical exertion

Nope, its much too big for one person, it needs two to move it.

or from missing your favourite device?

It has never been my favourite device and
I literally havent used it for decades now.

I am just irritated by a still working fine quite
expensive at the time device being dumped.

I got the same result when the local council scrapped
their previous DEC mini. Bit well designed metal cabinet
with the 11/65 in it with dozens of washing machine
sized disk pack drives. No one bid anything for it at
a bit public auction of all sorts of ex council stuff.

The fella I was standing next to was planning to take
the big metal cabinet and strip everything out of it
and use it for a cubby for his kids. I nearly cried.

Think you lot call a cubby a wendy house or something silly like that.

Old modem/routers, unless they're good ones that cost
£100+ new, or less than a couple of years old, are usually
close to worthless. The free ones given away by ISPs usually
aren't worth more than the £4.95 they charge for postage.

My Technicolor TG789vac v2 HP is brilliant. Much better wifi
than the previous DSL modem/routers I paid good money for.

It's amazing how much ****ty WiFi stuff there is, things that can't go
through one plasterboard wall!

Never seen anything like that. Bet the plasterboard wall had foil
insulation.

The previous Billion 7800NXL was fine and worked fine thru a concrete
block wall and over a 6' high metal fence to the middle of my back
neighbour's backyard about 150' from the modem/router.

The Technicolor TG789vac v2 HP does much better than that, thru
the back neighbour's brick wall and right into the house too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default The Two Brain Dead Inseparable Trolling Resident Sociopaths together again

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 06:40:27 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic cretins' endless absolutely idiotic
blather

--
TYPICAL retarded "conversation" between sociopath Rodent and sociopath
Birdbrain from August 26th 2018:

Birdbrain: "I have one head but 5 fingers."

Senile Rodent: "Obvious lie. You hairy legged cross dressers are so inbred
that you all have two heads."

Birdbrain: "You're the one that likes hairy legs remember?"

Senile Rodent: "The problem isnt the hairy legs, it's the gross inbreeding
that
produces two headed unemployables like you."

Birdbrain: "So why did you mention hairy legs?"

Senile Rodent: "Because that's what those who arent actually stupid enough
to shave their legs have."

Birdbrain: "You only have hairy legs if both of the following are true:
1) You're quite far back on the evolutionary scale.
2) You haven't learned what a razor is for."

Senile Rodent: "Only a terminal ****wit or a woman shaves their legs."

Birdbrain: "There is literally zero point in having hair all over your
body."

Senile Rodent: "There is even less point in wasting your time changing what
you are born with."

MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 05/06/2021 18:59, Commander Kinsey wrote:
It's amazing how much ****ty WiFi stuff there is, things that can't go
through one plasterboard wall!

especially if its foil backed...

--
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
rule.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Sun, 6 Jun 2021 14:56:01 +0100, The Natural Idiot, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile asshole, blathered again:
:
It's amazing how much ****ty WiFi stuff there is, things that can't go
through one plasterboard wall!

especially if its foil backed...

Seems to be as dense as your and his head, The Natural Idiot! BG

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 May 2021 19:15:00 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Well if its a tv of the analogue type then retro gamers with old consoles
or computers are your target,

Nope, they want flashy curved multiple screens.

Did you miss the word "retro"?

if its modems, sadly not much call for them if they have a psu

Havent seen one that doesnt use a plug
pack for getting on for half a century now.

Not sure what he meant there. Adding "don't" might help. If they have a PSU it can be used for something else.

though a lot of people might like an analogue psu to replace the crappy
switch mode ones that they supply now that make good radio jammers.

A microscopic handful imo.

Switch mode crappy? WTF? Way more stable output.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Jun 2021 14:56:01 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 05/06/2021 18:59, Commander Kinsey wrote:
It's amazing how much ****ty WiFi stuff there is, things that can't go
through one plasterboard wall!

especially if its foil backed...

Why do people use that indoors? You keep the heat inside the house, not in one room.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Jun 2021 21:40:27 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Owain Lastname wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Micky in ahr wasnt initially specific but later talked
about modems and routers and CRT tvs.

I've sold a CRT tv to a collector. Quite a young chap too.

(Would have had to be to carry it down the stairs.)

I still have a massive great Grundig that had to have
2 of us lift onto the low table thing it still sits on.

I might cry if I took it up the dump.

In pain from physical exertion

Nope, its much too big for one person, it needs two to move it.

How many inches is the screen?

or from missing your favourite device?

It has never been my favourite device and
I literally havent used it for decades now.

I am just irritated by a still working fine quite
expensive at the time device being dumped.

If it won't go on freecycle, then it's of no use, dump it, or take it apart and make use of the bits.

I got the same result when the local council scrapped
their previous DEC mini. Bit well designed metal cabinet
with the 11/65 in it with dozens of washing machine
sized disk pack drives. No one bid anything for it at
a bit public auction of all sorts of ex council stuff.

The fella I was standing next to was planning to take
the big metal cabinet and strip everything out of it
and use it for a cubby for his kids. I nearly cried.

I cleared out several cupboards of old **** at my work, a lot made me cash on Ebay as it was classed as antique. My predecessor had just hoarded it to avoid paying the recycling fee. Loads of Mac Classics, 15" (ish) video disk players, etc.

Think you lot call a cubby a wendy house or something silly like that.

Yeah, I dunno who Wendy is. Probably a manufacturer's name.

Old modem/routers, unless they're good ones that cost
£100+ new, or less than a couple of years old, are usually
close to worthless. The free ones given away by ISPs usually
aren't worth more than the £4.95 they charge for postage.

My Technicolor TG789vac v2 HP is brilliant. Much better wifi
than the previous DSL modem/routers I paid good money for.

It's amazing how much ****ty WiFi stuff there is, things that can't go
through one plasterboard wall!

Never seen anything like that. Bet the plasterboard wall had foil
insulation.

On the inside of a house?!

The previous Billion 7800NXL was fine and worked fine thru a concrete
block wall and over a 6' high metal fence to the middle of my back
neighbour's backyard about 150' from the modem/router.

The Technicolor TG789vac v2 HP does much better than that, thru
the back neighbour's brick wall and right into the house too.

I'm talking about the ones that come free with the ISP.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Commander Kinsey wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Well if its a tv of the analogue type then retro gamers with old
consoles or computers are your target,

Nope, they want flashy curved multiple screens.

Did you miss the word "retro"?

You missed computers.

if its modems, sadly not much call for them if they have a psu

Havent seen one that doesnt use a plug
pack for getting on for half a century now.

Not sure what he meant there. Adding "don't" might help.

Nope.

If they have a PSU it can be used for something else.

Havent seen one that doesnt use a plug
pack for getting on for half a century now.

But given the sentence from him below, he is clearly
talking about plug packs when he says psu. My brainfart.

though a lot of people might like an analogue psu to replace the crappy
switch mode ones that they supply now that make good radio jammers.

A microscopic handful imo.

Switch mode crappy?

Nope, an analogue psu. One with a mains
transformer and not a switch mode psu.

WTF? Way more stable output.

But he is complaining about the hash he gets with his short wave radio
listening.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Commander Kinsey wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
Commander Kinsey wrote

It's amazing how much ****ty WiFi stuff there is,
things that can't go through one plasterboard wall!

especially if its foil backed...

Why do people use that indoors?

Because it gives a better result heating wise.

You keep the heat inside the house, not in one room.

Plenty heat the room they are using, not the whole house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Commander Kinsey wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Commander Kinsey wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Owain Lastname wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Micky in ahr wasnt initially specific but later talked
about modems and routers and CRT tvs.

I've sold a CRT tv to a collector. Quite a young chap too.

(Would have had to be to carry it down the stairs.)

I still have a massive great Grundig that had to have
2 of us lift onto the low table thing it still sits on.

I might cry if I took it up the dump.

In pain from physical exertion

Nope, its much too big for one person, it needs two to move it.

How many inches is the screen?

Grundig Elegance MFW 82 3110 Widescreen

30" diagonal with a massive 3" bezel all round.

or from missing your favourite device?

It has never been my favourite device and
I literally havent used it for decades now.

I am just irritated by a still working fine quite
expensive at the time device being dumped.

If it won't go on freecycle,

No one would want it.

then it's of no use, dump it,

Grundig Elegance MFW 82 3110 Widescreen

or take it apart and make use of the bits.

No useful bits in it.

I got the same result when the local council scrapped
their previous DEC mini. Bit well designed metal cabinet
with the 11/65 in it with dozens of washing machine
sized disk pack drives. No one bid anything for it at
a bit public auction of all sorts of ex council stuff.

The fella I was standing next to was planning to take
the big metal cabinet and strip everything out of it
and use it for a cubby for his kids. I nearly cried.

I cleared out several cupboards of old **** at my work, a lot made me cash
on Ebay as it was classed as antique.

No one wanted it or any of the dozens of washing
machine sized pack drives either. They were all
antiques but would have cost a fortune to ship.

My predecessor had just hoarded it to avoid paying the recycling fee.
Loads of Mac Classics, 15" (ish) video disk players, etc.

This was much older than that stuff.

But my comment was about crying, not its sale value.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_house

Old modem/routers, unless they're good ones that cost
£100+ new, or less than a couple of years old, are usually
close to worthless. The free ones given away by ISPs usually
aren't worth more than the £4.95 they charge for postage.

My Technicolor TG789vac v2 HP is brilliant. Much better wifi
than the previous DSL modem/routers I paid good money for.

It's amazing how much ****ty WiFi stuff there is, things that can't go
through one plasterboard wall!

Never seen anything like that. Bet the plasterboard wall had foil
insulation.

On the inside of a house?!

Yep, allows you to heat individual rooms
being used and not the entire house.

The previous Billion 7800NXL was fine and worked fine thru a concrete
block wall and over a 6' high metal fence to the middle of my back
neighbour's backyard about 150' from the modem/router.

The Technicolor TG789vac v2 HP does much better than that, thru
the back neighbour's brick wall and right into the house too.

I'm talking about the ones that come free with the ISP.

The Technicolor TG789vac v2 HP did.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 04:06:41 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic cretins' endless absolutely idiotic
blather

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between Birdbrain and senile Rodent:

Senile Rodent: " Did you ever dig a hole to bury your own ****?"

Birdbrain: "I do if there's no flush toilet around."

Senile Rodent: "Yeah, I prefer camping like that, off by myself with
no dunnys around and have always buried the ****."

MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 04:29:41 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic cretins' endless absolutely idiotic
blather

--
Typical retarded "conversation" between the Scottish ****** and the senile
Ozzietard:

Birdbrain: "Horse **** doesn't stink."

Senile Rodent: "It does if you roll in it."

Birdbrain: "I've never worked out why, I assumed it was maybe meateaters
that made stinky ****, but then why does vegetarian human **** stink? Is it
just the fact that we're capable of digesting meat?"

Senile Rodent: "Nope, some cow **** stinks too."

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 05/06/2021 18:59, Commander Kinsey wrote:
It's amazing how much ****ty WiFi stuff there is, things that can't go
through one plasterboard wall!

especially if its foil backed...

Why do people use that indoors?Â* You keep the heat inside the house, not
in one room.

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

When you have rockwool in your walls, it makes a good vapour barrier.

Its especially useful for bathrooms and kitchens

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile NATURAL IDIOT Alert!

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 07:45:26 +0100, The Natural Idiot, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile asshole, blathered again:

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

About to climax, senile sucker of troll cock? BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 05/06/2021 18:59, Commander Kinsey wrote:
It's amazing how much ****ty WiFi stuff there is, things that can't go
through one plasterboard wall!
especially if its foil backed...

Why do people use that indoors? You keep the heat inside the house, not
in one room.

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

When you have rockwool in your walls, it makes a good vapour barrier.

Its especially useful for bathrooms and kitchens

Why are you confusing rockwool with tin foil?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 05/06/2021 18:59, Commander Kinsey wrote:
It's amazing how much ****ty WiFi stuff there is, things that can't go
through one plasterboard wall!
especially if its foil backed...

Why do people use that indoors?Â* You keep the heat inside the house, not
in one room.

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

When you have rockwool in your walls, it makes a good vapour barrier.

Its especially useful for bathrooms and kitchens

Why are you confusing rockwool with tin foil?

I'm not. why are you?

Do you understand anything about insulation and the need for vapour
barriers at *all*

--
€œThe fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 18:24:57 +0100, The Natural Idiot, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile asshole, blathered again:

Why are you confusing rockwool with tin foil?

I'm not. why are you?

Do you understand anything about insulation and the need for vapour
barriers at *all*

He understands a lot about baiting senile idiots like you, The Natural
Idiot! And he just proved it, again! BG