Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default cut gas pipe

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
On 26/05/2021 12:51, Fredxx wrote:
On 26/05/2021 11:56, R D S wrote:
On 25/05/2021 11:48, fred wrote:
Serious explosion bellied caused by cut gas pipe. How ? Presumably
it was in error but what would you be doing for that to happen?

We've no gas to our kitchen (meter at opp end of house) and I've
never been motivated to rip up the floor throughout to sort it.

My neighbours have taken a pipe out of the meter cupboard door and
run it along the floor/skirting.

I don't think you can route a new gas pipe under floorboards.

I'm pretty sure you can.

My understanding (not that I actually have anything to do with gas) is
that a new supply pipe to the meter should not be routed under the
property, but for pipes after the meter - under a suspended ground floor
is fine (it is classed as a ventilated space), while, in an
unventilated floor/ceiling void needs a surrounding sleeve, with one
end sealed and the other end open to a ventilated space.

Bit of a dichotomy. A properly made concealed gas pipe is far less likely
to get damaged than a surface run one.

Damaged or stolen?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2021 11:56, R D S wrote:
On 25/05/2021 11:48, fred wrote:
[...]

Transco gas pipes enter under the garage slab and are mild steel
3/4 inch pipe, painted with black bitumen paint and held inside
4 inch salt glazed pipes to physically isolate them from the subsoil.
From the meter 'my' pipes are the same 3/4 iron also inside a 4 inch
glazed pipe passing under the concrete path and coming up inside the
lounge adjacent to the false chimney breast where the baxi back boiler
used to be. The 3/4 pipe continues, buried in the 80mm screed around
to the kitchen where a T fitting provided a 1/2 inch outlet for a
gas fridge and another 1/2 inch run of iron, all burioed in the screed
to the cooker point. Cutting or drilling any of that is pretty
difficult.

Surface corrosion of the 3/4 inch iron pipe under the garage slab
or under the concrete path is going to happen at some point. I did
a trial excavation to see what condition it was 10 years ago and
there are many places where rust is bubbling under the bitumen
paint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote in
:

Steve Walker wrote:

The internal stopcock for the water could be anywhere, often ending up
behind a cupboard or a fridge. The external one may be impossible to
find (ours was never found, but a new one was installed when United
Utilities had to sort a leak under the pavement).

Indeed! When I moved into this house ISTR being told that the
stop tap was at the back of a kitchen cupboard.

This cupboard housed a waste bin hung from the opening door. The
stop tap was beneath the bottom panel of the cupboard, which
could only be lifted once the bin had been removed from the door.

I got out a hole saw and cut an access hole, then had to use
pliers to get enough leverage to turn the tap.

Chris

Similar here!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:

Many householder know how to turn off the water and electric - but what
about the gas?

Generally easier than the water.

I agree - but not necessarily appreceated by all housholders.

Thinking about all the bits of knowledge that I have about the
house and its basic operation, it struck me that my partner, who
is significantly younger, and therefore more likely to have to
cope with it all sometime, would know little about it.

I have begun a "Home Manual" in which I give details, some with
photos, showing stop taps and isolators, fused spurs (a
surprising number, and not all in obvious positions), heating
system, changing downlights, computer setups and backup
processes, and so forth.

I have also gathered together in a binder as many relevant
instruction manuals as I can find about the house.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have also gathered together in a binder as many relevant
instruction manuals as I can find about the house.

Chris

Good idea - but was it met with dis-interest?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:

I have also gathered together in a binder as many relevant
instruction manuals as I can find about the house.

Good idea - but was it met with dis-interest?

Far from it. Disinterest is logically impossible. Uninterest was
not noticed, in fact the whole exercise was prompted by a
request.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK