Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wanted, a latch for a gate that lets it swing both ways

On Tue, 25 May 2021 10:01:51 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

snip

On Mums side gate it's more 'friendly' in that the initial faces of
the part on (what would be the) slam has curved faces on both sides so
you don't have to manually 'operate' the latch to latch it (just
unlatch it).

A bit like this but with 'ramps' that are more shallow:

/| |\
/ | | \
/ | | \
/ | | \
/ ----- \
/ \
|_________________|

You just push it shut to about the right place and it latches (from
either direction).

Yes, that's exactly what I want, as I said I've seen big 'field gate'
sized ones of these but nothing suitable for a small 'garden gate'
sort of gate.

Well, the slam part could be 3D printed and be reasonably hard wearing
and could be fashioned to mount on whatever makes up the existing slam
(tube, square, flat etc) and the 'latch' only really needs to be a
strip of steel plate (say 25 x 5mm section) with a hole drilled off
centre (making the nose slightly heavier) and with the tang having a
slightly rounded lower edge section to help it ride up the ramps and a
stop to stop it dropping below horizontal?

https://ibb.co/sbq9T67 (crude example)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2021 11:29, Chris Green wrote:
I'm looking for a gate latch that will allow a gate to swing both
ways, there are some more constraints/parameters as well:-

It's a fairly light gate, into our chicken run

It needs to be easy to operate from both sides

It can't be one of those U drop over the post ones (see below)

The best sort of thing I can think of is a ring latch something like this:-

https://www.toolstation.com/ring-han...e-latch/p27158

but without the slotted bit that constrains it from lifting right up
out of the way of the gate post. However I suspect that the above
without the constraint won't be very sound mechanically.

It's made a bit awkward because the gate is quite high and has netting
across all of it so you can't reach through to undo the existing cabin
hook and you can't use the drop-over U type latch because there's
netting right to the top of the gate and the gate post.

Does anyone have any bright ideas for this?

If you haven't found the solution yet, this is genius:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3yGztiAsOU
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, brilliant. Wonder why it isnt available commercially.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 16:58:37 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Yeah, brilliant. Wonder why it isnt available commercially.

Nobody wonders why you got NOBODY in RL to talk to, senile sleepless
sociopath! BG

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2021 06:22, Richard wrote:

If you haven't found the solution yet, this is genius:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3yGztiAsOU

Neat, but ironically it would not be horse-proof! I've had horses that
could operate the pull-down bar latch in American barn sliding doors.
And they defeat people who have not seen one before.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 02/06/2021 06:22, Richard wrote:

If you haven't found the solution yet, this is genius:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3yGztiAsOU

Neat, but ironically it would not be horse-proof! I've had horses that
could operate the pull-down bar latch in American barn sliding doors.
And they defeat people who have not seen one before.

I can't really see how it works, it doesn't have to be horse proof in
our case, just chicken proof. We do have lots of old horseshoes
around the place and I can weld things.

Youtube just has a link to Facebook and after that I lost interest!

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
On 02/06/2021 06:22, Richard wrote:

If you haven't found the solution yet, this is genius:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3yGztiAsOU

Neat, but ironically it would not be horse-proof!

Dont believe that a horse has anything it can pull up the ring with.

They cant even use their teeth for that, the front of the head wouldnt fit.

I've had horses that could operate the pull-down bar latch in American
barn sliding doors. And they defeat people who have not seen one before.

Gotta pic ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
newshound wrote:
On 02/06/2021 06:22, Richard wrote:

If you haven't found the solution yet, this is genius:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3yGztiAsOU

Neat, but ironically it would not be horse-proof! I've had horses that
could operate the pull-down bar latch in American barn sliding doors.
And they defeat people who have not seen one before.

I can't really see how it works,

Its very obvious, you pull up on the ring to release the latch.

Then the horseshoe is moved by the gate to let the latch
lock again and the horseshow stops the gate from swinging.

it doesn't have to be horse proof
in our case, just chicken proof.

It will do that fine.

We do have lots of old horseshoes
around the place and I can weld things.

Youtube just has a link to Facebook and after that I lost interest!

More fool you. That allows you to buy it if you dont want to make it
yourself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Nym-Shifting Senile Australian Pest!

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 20:18:46 +1000, Joey, better known as cantankerous

dennis@home to retarded trolling senile Rodent:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 20:10:39 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2021 11:10, Rod Speed wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
On 02/06/2021 06:22, Richard wrote:

If you haven't found the solution yet, this is genius:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3yGztiAsOU

Neat, but ironically it would not be horse-proof!

Dont believe that a horse has anything it can pull up the ring with.

They cant even use their teeth for that, the front of the head wouldnt
fit.

I've had horses that could operate the pull-down bar latch in American
barn sliding doors. And they defeat people who have not seen one before.

Gotta pic ?

They would put their nose under the bit of horseshoe on their side, and
lift it up. Some might use their lips.

American barn doors are typically solid up to about 4 feet, and the bit
above has vertical bars essentially like prison bars, in a box-section
frame. To unlatch, you grip the bar nearest the opening, and slide it
upwards a few inches. They are quite stiff. But once a horse has figured
it out, it uses its nose or lips to do what you would do with your hand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2021 10:07, Chris Green wrote:
newshound wrote:
On 02/06/2021 06:22, Richard wrote:

If you haven't found the solution yet, this is genius:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3yGztiAsOU

Neat, but ironically it would not be horse-proof! I've had horses that
could operate the pull-down bar latch in American barn sliding doors.
And they defeat people who have not seen one before.

I can't really see how it works, it doesn't have to be horse proof in
our case, just chicken proof. We do have lots of old horseshoes
around the place and I can weld things.

Youtube just has a link to Facebook and after that I lost interest!

https://www.qt.com.au/news/the-viral...o-see/3359906/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
On 02/06/2021 06:22, Richard wrote:

If you haven't found the solution yet, this is genius:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3yGztiAsOU

Neat, but ironically it would not be horse-proof!

Dont believe that a horse has anything it can pull up the ring with.

They cant even use their teeth for that, the front of the head wouldnt
fit.

I've had horses that could operate the pull-down bar latch in American
barn sliding doors. And they defeat people who have not seen one before.

Gotta pic ?

They would put their nose under the bit of horseshoe on their side, and
lift it up.

Not possible as he shows at 75 secs
https://youtu.be/Y3yGztiAsOU?t=75

Some might use their lips.

Again, not possible to lift the ring that way for a horse.

American barn doors are typically solid up to about 4 feet, and the bit
above has vertical bars essentially like prison bars, in a box-section
frame. To unlatch, you grip the bar nearest the opening, and slide it
upwards a few inches. They are quite stiff. But once a horse has figured
it out, it uses its nose or lips to do what you would do with your hand.

But that isnt possible with his gate latch. Only a human or monkey can lift
the ring.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
On 02/06/2021 06:22, Richard wrote:

If you haven't found the solution yet, this is genius:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3yGztiAsOU

Neat, but ironically it would not be horse-proof! I've had horses that
could operate the pull-down bar latch in American barn sliding doors.
And they defeat people who have not seen one before.

I can't really see how it works, it doesn't have to be horse proof in
our case, just chicken proof. We do have lots of old horseshoes
around the place and I can weld things.

Youtube just has a link to Facebook and after that I lost interest!

https://www.qt.com.au/news/the-viral...o-see/3359906/

That one isnt livestock proof. But would be fine for a chicken coop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 05:37:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rodent Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2021 20:33, Rod Speed wrote:

They would put their nose under the bit of horseshoe on their side,
and lift it up.

Not possible as he shows at 75 secs
https://youtu.be/Y3yGztiAsOU?t=75

Some might use their lips.

Again, not possible to lift the ring that way for a horse.

American barn doors are typically solid up to about 4 feet, and the
bit above has vertical bars essentially like prison bars, in a
box-section frame. To unlatch, you grip the bar nearest the opening,
and slide it upwards a few inches. They are quite stiff. But once a
horse has figured it out, it uses its nose or lips to do what you
would do with your hand.

But that isnt possible with his gate latch. Only a human or monkey can
lift the ring.

He might make that claim and it might be true for cattle.

But the whole of the moving bit is solid, so it could be raised from the
horseshoe by applying a suitable moment as well as a straight upwards
force. Horses can untie knots with their teeth, I am confident that some
could defeat that. And mules even more so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote
Rod Speed wrote

They would put their nose under the bit of horseshoe on their side, and
lift it up.

Not possible as he shows at 75 secs
https://youtu.be/Y3yGztiAsOU?t=75

Some might use their lips.

Again, not possible to lift the ring that way for a horse.

American barn doors are typically solid up to about 4 feet, and the bit
above has vertical bars essentially like prison bars, in a box-section
frame. To unlatch, you grip the bar nearest the opening, and slide it
upwards a few inches. They are quite stiff. But once a horse has figured
it out, it uses its nose or lips to do what you would do with your hand.

But that isnt possible with his gate latch. Only a human or monkey can
lift the ring.

He might make that claim

It isnt a claim, he shows it cant be done by livestock.

and it might be true for cattle.

For all livestock in fact.

But the whole of the moving bit is solid, so it could be raised from the
horseshoe by applying a suitable moment

Nope, because the movement has to be applied to
the big pin with the ring at the top of it and only
the ring is accessible with the gate latch locked
and no horse has anything that can lift that ring.

as well as a straight upwards force.

The only thing a straight upwards force can be applied
to is the ring and no horse has anything that it can use
to apply a straight upwards force to that ring.

Horses can untie knots with their teeth,

But there is no way to get their teeth onto
that ring because their jaw wont fit between
the gate post and the gate vertical frame.

I am confident that some could defeat that. And mules even more so.

You have no basis for that confidence.
Its basic physics, neither have anything
to grip the small ring with and thats the
only way the latch can be released, with
an upward force on that small ring which
is in the small space between the gate
post and the vertical gate frame.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 08:01:14 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2021 23:01, Rod Speed wrote:

It isnt a claim, he shows it cant be done by livestock.

It's a claim. Not a proof. He just rattled the ring a bit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote
Rod Speed wrote

It isnt a claim, he shows it cant be done by livestock.

It's a claim. Not a proof. He just rattled the ring a bit.

He didnt rattle the ring, he showed that upward force
on the horseshoe, the only thing livestock can do, doesnt
lift the vertical thing that is attached to the horseshoe.

And thats obvious from the basic physics, that it wouldnt
lift it, it would jam in the outer and not rise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Who or What is Rod Speed?"

"Rod Speed is an entirely modern phenomenon. Essentially, Rod Speed
man" on the InterNet."

Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
and totally irresponsible talk. Your mouth could get you into a lot of
trouble."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2021 10:11, Rod Speed wrote:
newshound wrote
Rod Speed wrote

It isnt a claim, he shows it cant be done by livestock.

It's a claim. Not a proof. He just rattled the ring a bit.

He didnt rattle the ring, he showed that upward force
on the horseshoe, the only thing livestock can do, doesnt
lift the vertical thing that is attached to the horseshoe.

And thats obvious from the basic physics, that it wouldnt
lift it, it would jam in the outer and not rise.

And as I pointed out, if you combine a moment with the upward force you
can cancel out the friction in the central bearing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 03/06/2021 10:11, Rod Speed wrote:
newshound wrote
Rod Speed wrote

It isnt a claim, he shows it cant be done by livestock.

It's a claim. Not a proof. He just rattled the ring a bit.

He didnt rattle the ring, he showed that upward force
on the horseshoe, the only thing livestock can do, doesnt
lift the vertical thing that is attached to the horseshoe.

And thats obvious from the basic physics, that it wouldnt
lift it, it would jam in the outer and not rise.

And as I pointed out, if you combine a moment with the upward force you
can cancel out the friction in the central bearing.

But livestock cant impose an upward force with
that gate latch, they have no way to do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 08:35:06 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

But livestock cant impose an upward force with
that gate latch, they have no way to do that.

Are you now quarrelling about livestock, senile ****head? tsk

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID: