Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 15 May 2021 09:12:06 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Surely the only rule is that it is discourteous to confirm back a number
NOT in the format first spoken. E.g. 23 93 73 confirmed back as 239 373
!

Yeah, I find that a real nuisance but presumably that¢s
how its shown on their screen when you tell them the
number and they read it back to confirm it.

Actually it's a double-check and reassurance that the order is really right,
in any way it's presented, senile asshole!

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 May 2021 11:44:04 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

For example: 4+4+2 or 4+2+4 etc is okay. But 3+3+4 is not.

Our mobile numbers are mostly shown as 4+3+3 and most say
it like that and no one appears to have any problem with it.

Maybe, maybe not! But I can reassure you that EVERYONE has a big problem
with you senile pest!
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile

On Sat, 15 May 2021 09:27:04 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I have a virtual mobile number for these, so they arrive in my E-Mail
and can be cut+paste to their destination. No memory required! :-)

One of mine completely automatically fills in the field in the app.

Yep, the resident senile asshole ALWAYS has to go one better! LOL

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile

Default How do you memorise 6-digit authentication codes?

On 14/05/2021 13:16, Pamela wrote:
A web site sends you 6-digit number to your phone to check your ID. Do
you memorise this by saying to yourself: 12-34-56 or 123-456?

It's a genuine question to see what number span people are using to
remember random numbers.

Why do you need to memorise it at all? It is a one time code that only
needs to be in short term memory for at most a few seconds as 123456.

More of a problem for me is poor signal resulting in the website timing
out whilst I wait for the authentication code to arrive. Last week I had
to go and wave the phone around in the garden to get enough signal for
the SMS to arrive. First time round it failed at fifteen minute timeout

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile

In uk.d-i-y Martin Brown wrote:
On 14/05/2021 13:16, Pamela wrote:
A web site sends you 6-digit number to your phone to check your ID. Do
you memorise this by saying to yourself: 12-34-56 or 123-456?

It's a genuine question to see what number span people are using to
remember random numbers.

Why do you need to memorise it at all? It is a one time code that only
needs to be in short term memory for at most a few seconds as 123456.

More of a problem for me is poor signal resulting in the website timing
out whilst I wait for the authentication code to arrive. Last week I had
to go and wave the phone around in the garden to get enough signal for
the SMS to arrive. First time round it failed at fifteen minute timeout

Another good reason for having a virtual mobile number, I have one
from Andrews and Arnold, costs £1.20/month and well worth it IMHO.
The code arrives just about instantly and I can simply copy/paste it
into my browser, no memory required.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
In uk.d-i-y Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

iphones do this automatically. They extract sms codes ready for you to
paste into whatever field you want.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile

On 14/05/2021 13:16, Pamela wrote:
A web site sends you 6-digit number to your phone to check your ID. Do
you memorise this by saying to yourself: 12-34-56 or 123-456?

It's a genuine question to see what number span people are using to
remember random numbers.

Why would I ned to memorise it? It is on my phone.

I can, however, remember a nine long string of random characters that
was a password I had use to get online in the early days of dial-up
modems. I had to type it in every time and the daily repetition burned
it into my memory.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile

On 14/05/2021 13:16, Pamela wrote:

A web site sends you 6-digit number to your phone to check your ID. Do
you memorise this by saying to yourself: 12-34-56 or 123-456?

It's a genuine question to see what number span people are using to
remember random numbers.

If you've got the phone with the text message in front of you you can
always glance back at it to check you've entered it right.

What annoys me is when they provide a URL instead of a number. The phone
I use for texts and voice is a feature phone with no Wi-Fi and minimal
Internet access; I usually have to forward the text to a smartphone.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y Chris wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
In uk.d-i-y Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

But I don't use any sort of mobile phone for anything where anyone
would send me a security code so, from my point of view, that's quite
irrelevant! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 May 2021 at 13:16:12 UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
A web site sends you 6-digit number to your phone to check your ID. Do
you memorise this by saying to yourself: 12-34-56 or 123-456?

It's a genuine question to see what number span people are using to
remember random numbers.

For me it depends on the numbers themselves.
Sometimes it easier in pairs or 3-3 or even 4-2 or 2-4
But mostly I don't find I need to remmeber them.

When on-line backing or logging in to MS-teams or outlook, they send a sms
and that goes to iMessage and that opens up asking to you want to use this code
and it's sorted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile

On 14/05/2021 14:58, Peter Able wrote:
Surely the only rule is that it is discourteous to confirm back a number
NOT in the format first spoken.Â* E.g. 23Â* 93Â* 73 confirmed back as 239
373 !

People do that to me so often!
And then usually I genuinely cannot say whether they have it correct or not.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile

On 14/05/2021 16:28, Paul wrote:
314 159 26535 89793 23846 264 3383 279 502 69399 37510
************ ^**************************** ^
************ +--- missing here ?********** +--- keeps flipping

and are wrong

assuming that's supposed to be pi.

I remember it as:

31415926 535 89 79 323 84 62 64 3383 279 502 884 197 169 399 375 1058

--
Brian Gregory (in England).
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile

Brian Gregory wrote
Peter Able wrote

Surely the only rule is that it is discourteous to
confirm back a number NOT in the format first
spoken. E.g. 23 93 73 confirmed back as 239 373 !

People do that to me so often!

Me too, because they are reading the number
back in the format its displayed on their screen.

And then usually I genuinely cannot
say whether they have it correct or not.

I always can, tho I have to pause to
think about it with my mobile number.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile

On Mon, 24 May 2021 15:23:23 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

People do that to me so often!

Me too, because they are reading the number
back in the format its displayed on their screen.

NONSENSE, senile troll! It's a double-check and reassurance that the order
is really right, in any way it's presented, senile asshole!

--
Xeno to senile Rodent:
"You're a sad old man Rod, truly sad."
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile

On 14/05/2021 14:53, Andrew wrote:
On 14/05/2021 13:16, Pamela wrote:
A web site sends you 6-digit number to your phone to check your ID. Do
you memorise this by saying to yourself: 12-34-56 or 123-456?

It's a genuine question to see what number span people are using to
remember random numbers.

Bank card Pin numbers are 4 digits because that is all that most people
can manage to remember.

just write it down somewhere that only you can access, or split
it into 3 groups of 2 digits and try and convert them into the
ascii equivalent which, it you are lucky, might give you a 3-character
code which is easier to remember.

The authentification codes are only used once so need to take precautions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile

On 08/06/2021 19:52, MB wrote:
On 14/05/2021 14:53, Andrew wrote:
On 14/05/2021 13:16, Pamela wrote:
A web site sends you 6-digit number to your phone to check your ID. Do
you memorise this by saying to yourself:Â* 12-34-56 or 123-456?

It's a genuine question to see what number span people are using to
remember random numbers.

Bank card Pin numbers are 4 digits because that is all that most people
can manage to remember.

just write it down somewhere that only you can access, or split
it into 3 groups of 2 digits and try and convert them into the
ascii equivalent which, it you are lucky, might give you a 3-character
code which is easier to remember.

The authentification codes are only used once so need to take precautions.

I had problems with one site when I foolishly entered the 6 digit number
as displayed ### ### by the authenticator i.e. with a space between the
groups of 3 digits instead of as a 6 digit number as required. No error
message just a failure to login.
Many sites give you 2 x 3 digit boxes to type in to help idiots like me !