Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is there a tool to assist *threading* cable ties?

I have searched and can't find anything that does this.

There are loads of "cable tie guns" which simply tighten the tie and
cut the end off, but that's the easy bit to do manually!

I have a job comong up which will involve threading lots of cable ties
through wire netting and round and back, then poking the end of the
tie through the hole and then (the easy bit that the gun does) pulling
tight and (probably not) cutting the end off.

So is there anything out there which will make the first two stages
easier:-

1 - Poking the pie out and back through some netting. It's sort of
generic when using a tie, you nead to thread it *round* something
and the tie wants to be straight.

2 - Having got it round and back, poke the end through the hole
(as the actress said to the bishop).

I can imagine some sort of tool that you could insert a tie into which
would have a curved channel that you put round whatever it is you want
the tie round. Push a lever (or something) and the tie is fed round
the track and back to you. For the tool to do part 2 as well is more
difficult but even doing part 1 would make using cable ties a whole
lot easier.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 April 2021 at 12:03:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:

I can imagine some sort of tool that you could insert a tie into which
would have a curved channel that you put round whatever it is you want
the tie round. Push a lever (or something) and the tie is fed round
the track and back to you. For the tool to do part 2 as well is more
difficult but even doing part 1 would make using cable ties a whole
lot easier.

--
Chris Green
·

Well there is an idea for someone to come up with, I am sure it would sell having spent many hours doing and cursing cable ties. In the meantime a U shaped rigid tube should enable you to get a tie round a bunch of wires with both ends on the same side, you just have to be careful to hold the tie as you slide the guide tube off.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2021 11:50, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Maybe wrap the tie - or even the pie - around something about 1-2cm
diameter for about ten seconds. Then get on with lacing the tie through
the netting and back? A tight pinch could be even better - perhaps?

PA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Heat the ties to soften them. Form around a suitable curve and leave to
cool. Should end up with "u" shaped ties.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

My brother who uses them for netting on his large allotment commends a
grandchild with nimble hands and good eyesight (but I think the family
relationship is optional).

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Saturday, 10 April 2021 at 12:03:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:

I can imagine some sort of tool that you could insert a tie into which
would have a curved channel that you put round whatever it is you want
the tie round. Push a lever (or something) and the tie is fed round
the track and back to you. For the tool to do part 2 as well is more
difficult but even doing part 1 would make using cable ties a whole
lot easier.

Well there is an idea for someone to come up with, I am sure it would sell
having spent many hours doing and cursing cable ties.

I'm glad to hear it's not just me! :-)

In the meantime a
U shaped rigid tube should enable you to get a tie round a bunch of wires
with both ends on the same side, you just have to be careful to hold the
tie as you slide the guide tube off.

I'm not sure this helps my situation as I'm not trying to get ties
round bundles of cable, I'm trying to get ties round the edge of wire
netting to hold it on to something.

I suppose a curved piece of channel might help.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
[...]

That might well actually make the job less painful, thank you for the
idea.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Apr 2021 at 12:44:54 BST, "Tricky Dicky" wrote:

[...]

If instead of a tube one uses a channel with an open side on the inside of the
'U' one could quickly and easily lift it off when the tie is captured. You
still potentially need three hands, but it might be possible to catch the end
of the tie with the hand holding the channel without dropping the latter. I am
inspired to try it next time I do this job, having done 15m of netting the
other day!

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
[...]

Yes, when there's a lot to do it does feel worth putting a little
effort into coming up with something to help. I can picture exactly
what's needed - a sort of tiny shepherd's crook made of channel into
which the cable tie slides nicely.

However, will it actually work, i.e. won't the cable tie want to
remain straight and thus not follow the bend of the channel? A small
piece of tube would work to guide the cable tie but how do you remove
it after getting the tie round the bend?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
[...]

:-)

It does show there's a need for such a thing though doesn't it!

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Green
writes
[...]

er.. Consider galvanised *hog ring clips* designed for the job?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2021 14:14, Chris Green wrote:

It does show there's a need for such a thing though doesn't it!

How about a piece of stiff wire that could be bent to the appropriate
shape, with a small croc clip on the end? It could be threaded round the
post then the clip could bring the end of the tie round.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Apr 2021 at 14:12:43 BST, "Chris Green" wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:
[...]

If the opening of the channel is on the inside of the bend I don't see why it
shouldn't work. The tie would have to bend even more to get out, and couldn't
go sideways.
--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Apr 2021 at 14:51:41 BST, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message , Chris Green
writes
[...]

Good for clipping to a wire fence, a quarter of the time to do it, but not to
a trellis or poles.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Rather than looking for a tool how about pre-forming your cable ties into
a hook shape (bend them over a former and apply heat somehow). You could
probably do a large batch in one go.

Having made them hook shaped it should be easy to loop them though and back
ready to have the tail poked through the ratchet.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 14:14:03 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

snip

[...]

I often put a shape in the cable tie first (just bending it in my
fingers or dragging it over a screwdriver shaft like you would to put
a curl in some ribbon) and then it's already pointing back as you poke
it though far enough.

If you gave me the diameter / radius you were looking to cover I might
be able to design and print your hooked (open?) channel idea?

If it was more of a U section but with the section facing up or down,
you could pre fit the tie in the tool, thread it in place and then
could lift it off the tie once the end is though and before you pull
it tight?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
[...]

I did wonder if there was an alternative, but didn't know what they
were called, thanks!

I can't *quite* see how the pliers hold the 'rings' at the moment, but
I expect I'll find a better picture somewhere.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
On 10 Apr 2021 at 14:51:41 BST, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message , Chris Green
writes
[...]

I was trying to describe a wire-to-wire requirement so they're good
for me.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2021 11:50, Chris Green wrote:
I have searched and can't find anything that does this.

There are loads of "cable tie guns" which simply tighten the tie and
cut the end off, but that's the easy bit to do manually!

I have a job comong up which will involve threading lots of cable ties
through wire netting and round and back, then poking the end of the
tie through the hole and then (the easy bit that the gun does) pulling
tight and (probably not) cutting the end off.

snip

Use wire instead of ties, bend it how you like and cut it as required.

--
Cheers
Clive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Apr 2021 at 16:01:51 BST, "Chris Green" wrote:

Roger Hayter wrote:
On 10 Apr 2021 at 14:51:41 BST, "Tim Lamb"
wrote:

In message , Chris Green
writes
[...]

They are incredibly quick to fix compared with cable ties - 10X quicker easily
- and especially neat if both fences are galvanised. Still better looking
than cable ties if the netting is plastic. Just make sure you get galvanised
clips. Just an example, better quality is available:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOG-RING-...y/232292625974

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Apr 2021 12:33:09 GMT, Roger Hayter wrote:

snip

If instead of a tube one uses a channel with an open side on the inside of the
'U' one could quickly and easily lift it off when the tie is captured.

The problem with that is the cable tie might try to come out inwards.
If the channel was open at the top or bottom, it would be more likely
to stay in the channel because the cable tie wants to go straight?

You
still potentially need three hands, but it might be possible to catch the end
of the tie with the hand holding the channel without dropping the latter.

With the right design of tool and length of tie, you could have the
catch end of the tie held in place and you then just need to guide the
open end though the catch then once through, lift / drop the tool off.

I am
inspired to try it next time I do this job, having done 15m of netting the
other day!

Well, if you don't make something, Dragons Den here I come. ;-)

https://ibb.co/n8xsvZ8

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky was thinking very hard :
In the meantime a U shaped rigid tube should enable you to get a tie round a
bunch of wires with both ends on the same side, you just have to be careful
to hold the tie as you slide the guide tube off.

U tube which is a channel, open along the inner radius would do that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2021 11:50, Chris Green wrote:

So is there anything out there which will make the first two stages
easier:-

1 - Poking the pie out and back through some netting. It's sort of
generic when using a tie, you nead to thread it *round* something
and the tie wants to be straight.

2 - Having got it round and back, poke the end through the hole
(as the actress said to the bishop).

Bend something suitable out of warmed Perspex or other thermoplastic
offcut with a couple of self tappers in to make a guide.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Green
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
[...]

I have two versions. Both magazine types. The clips are supplied in
strip/cassette form and slot into a spring loaded holder.

The tool jaws are shaped to pick off the next clip and hold it while you
get the job positioned. Squeezing the handles further, squashes the clip
into a ring.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2021 13:24, Chris Green wrote:
Richard wrote:
[...]

I've done this before..... the trick I do is:

Fold into a V the end of the cable tie so you then have a V shaped hook
on the end of the cable tie so it looks like a V on the end of an I.

Insert V end of the I end into one wire fence hole. Move & rotate so the
end of the cable tie is in the adjacent hole. Then use your fingers or a
pair of pliers to then pull the cable tie round.

Then either straighten out the V or cut it off at the acute angle apex.

Jobs a good un.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2021 19:06, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
[...]

and if the ring is a loose fit, you can then thread the cable tie
through the hog ring to then attach said cable(s)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
[...]

I sew hardware cloth, with galvanized wire. I've done hardware cloth
"boxes", by sewing the corners or the things I want to join, and then
they hold their shape reasonably well. I stock several sizes of galvanized
wire, and the thinner stuff is for sewing projects.

Galvanized wire is UV proof.

To make a hardware cloth box, you don't start with six squares
and set to work. You make the usual cross shaped pattern of
squares, to minimize the number of seams needing sewing. And leave a
little slack, to maybe bend over the edges for reinforcement. I might
build a hardware cloth box, for something needing to be mouse-proofed.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
Robin wrote:
[...]

But it must be harder to do than you might think or it would be buyable
already.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

You can try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOmRgzHWafc

You will not like the price!
https://www.mouser.com/access/?pn=106-00040

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Obnoxious Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 08:55:57 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

My brother who uses them for netting on his large allotment commends a
grandchild with nimble hands and good eyesight (but I think the family
relationship is optional).

:-)

It does show there's a need for such a thing though doesn't it!

But it must be harder to do than you might think or it would be buyable
already.

Certainly not as hard as making you shut your stupid senile gob, you
abnormal trolling senile ****head!

"Thats because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
[...]

Need to hire one though - keeping one, unless indigenous, is expensive and
has a best-before limitation.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 16:08:01 +0100, Clive Arthur wrote:

On 10/04/2021 11:50, Chris Green wrote:
I have searched and can't find anything that does this.

There are loads of "cable tie guns" which simply tighten the tie and
cut the end off, but that's the easy bit to do manually!

I have a job comong up which will involve threading lots of cable ties
through wire netting and round and back, then poking the end of the
tie through the hole and then (the easy bit that the gun does) pulling
tight and (probably not) cutting the end off.

snip

Use wire instead of ties, bend it how you like and cut it as required.

If still available, the coated wire frome Wickes is very good.
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-PVC-...x-20m/p/187718
It's easy to cut and bend; also seems to be galvanised. I put quite a lot on
a wall about 10 years ago and there's no sign of rust.
Bizarrely, the link is for 20m at 10; also has 100m for 9.50!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

If still available, the coated wire frome Wickes is very good.
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-PVC-...x-20m/p/187718
It's easy to cut and bend; also seems to be galvanised. I put quite a lot on
a wall about 10 years ago and there's no sign of rust.
Bizarrely, the link is for 20m at 10; also has 100m for 9.50!

The 100 m is thinner wi

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-PVC-Coated-Garden-Wire---1-2mm-x-100m/p/187724

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I remember talking to somebody about this very subject. The person in
question said that what you need is what I use at home when I have to run a
cable.
What is that I said innocently, My wife on the other side of the fence he
said...
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Fredxx" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/04/2021 09:46, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Use short lengths of copper core from scrap 2.5mm t&e.
Thats what I use for supporting rambling roses and loganberry
shoots. Doesn't seem to harm the plants.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2021 13:33, Roger Hayter wrote:
[...]

This is what we used to do when refitting ties to tree tubes (AKA Tuley
tubes), a sharpened galvanised bucket handle bent the wrong way into a
tighter bend, pierce the corrugated plastic either side of the stake and
feed cable tie through channel.

I am not a fan of these things as they generally get left littering the
countryside but from the late 70s a lot were used and still are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 09:57:17 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

PeterC wrote:

If still available, the coated wire frome Wickes is very good.
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-PVC-...x-20m/p/187718
It's easy to cut and bend; also seems to be galvanised. I put quite a lot on
a wall about 10 years ago and there's no sign of rust.
Bizarrely, the link is for 20m at 10; also has 100m for 9.50!

The 100 m is thinner wi

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-PVC-Coated-Garden-Wire---1-2mm-x-100m/p/187724

Chris

Ah, didn't spot that. Wasn't really interested in 100m - a 20m roll lasts me
a long time.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 11:07:32 +0100, Andrew wrote:

[...]

I'd leave the insulation on it so as to spread the load a bit.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away