Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Win10 Sharing.

This PC (well, the one on this workstation) is cabled to my Lan. New
laptop WI-Fi. Have done all the usual tricks to get them to talk to one
another - printed out a booklet off the internet with the 7 most likely
problems with file sharing. And followed them all through.

The laptop doesn't see this PC at all. This one sees the laptop, but only
some files can be shared - despite sharing being set to the same on all.

With users, public files share OK. those under my user name say I haven't
got permission. But all the folders and files in users set to share in the
same way.

Neither machine is set to need a log in after booting.

It was all so easy with Win7...

--
Small asylum seeker wanted as mud flap, must be flexible and willing to travel

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 18:48:56 +0100, newshound

This PC (well, the one on this workstation) is cabled to my Lan. New
laptop WI-Fi. Have done all the usual tricks to get them to talk to one
another - printed out a booklet off the internet with the 7 most likely
problems with file sharing. And followed them all through.

The laptop doesn't see this PC at all. This one sees the laptop, but only
some files can be shared - despite sharing being set to the same on all.

With users, public files share OK. those under my user name say I haven't
got permission. But all the folders and files in users set to share in the
same way.

Neither machine is set to need a log in after booting.

It was all so easy with Win7...

Welcome to Win 10.

+1. I could browse to all my shares a while back, then I couldn't,
then could for a few days and now not. So I have to map drives using
the ip address.

I have tried a few things but with no improvement, inc running a tool
that showed all the browse masters and demoting all the ones where it
wasn't appropriate.

It even seems to have screwed up my shares on XP that have been ok for
years ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/04/2021 18:48, newshound wrote:
This PC (well, the one on this workstation) is cabled to my Lan. New
laptop WI-Fi. Have done all the usual tricks to get them to talk to one
another - printed out a booklet off the internet with the 7 most likely
problems with file sharing. And followed them all through.

The laptop doesn't see this PC at all. This one sees the laptop, but only
some files can be shared - despite sharing being set to the same on all.

With users, public files share OK. those under my user name say I haven't
got permission. But all the folders and files in users set to share in
the
same way.

Neither machine is set to need a log in after booting.

It was all so easy with Win7...

Welcome to Win 10.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-s...-local-network

Have you tried that?

Which version of Win10?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This PC (well, the one on this workstation) is cabled to my Lan. New
laptop WI-Fi. Have done all the usual tricks to get them to talk to one
another - printed out a booklet off the internet with the 7 most likely
problems with file sharing. And followed them all through.

The laptop doesn't see this PC at all. This one sees the laptop, but only
some files can be shared - despite sharing being set to the same on all.

With users, public files share OK. those under my user name say I haven't
got permission. But all the folders and files in users set to share in the
same way.

Neither machine is set to need a log in after booting.

It was all so easy with Win7...

Win7 had SMB 1.0 enabled by default. For Windows 10 it is disabled by
default due to vulnerabilities.

To enable in Win 10
Open Control Panel
Click on Programs
Click on Turn Windows features on or off link
Expand the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support option
Check the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client option
Click OK and restart

This may resolve your issue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2021 19:26, GB wrote:
[...]

"In this Windows 10 guide, we'll walk you through the steps to set up
and manage a HomeGroup to share resources with other users on your local
network."

Homegroup was removed from Windows 10 Version 1803. Version 1803. 1803
reached end of service in 2019.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Have done all the usual tricks

Neither machine is set to need a log in after booting.

Which can be interpreted a couple of ways.

1) zero length password, to thwart prompts
2) Netplwiz and tick box, to autolog

I don't think Windows 10 particularly likes (1)
when it comes to file sharing.

And that trait may have been shared with other
modern versions of Windows.

Win10 also prompts for usernameassword, in situations
where before it was not necessary.

Some of the older stuff, is much easier.

Homegroups are deprecated on modern Win10. (The panel
for setting up a new homegroup might be missing.)

Homegroups used a total of seven services (plus ipv6).
Two of the services are still used, and
they have the word "Function" as the first
word in their name. They have something to do
with nameserving (NetBIOS ?). if they're not
running, you might have to use an IP address

\\bob\mydiskdrive Two "function" services running.
Translates bob to 192.168.1.2

\\192.168.1.2\mydiskdrive Two "function" services not running.
Mentioning bob would not work. Use IP.

You can enter identifiers like that, in the File Explorer box.

Turning on SMBV1 in Win10 Programs and Features : Windows Features,
enables sharing with WinXP. WinXP actually has a patch available
for the SMBV1 issue. But there are likely other problems with it,
like weak minimum crypto.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 17:08:23 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

This PC (well, the one on this workstation) is cabled to my Lan. New
laptop WI-Fi. Have done all the usual tricks to get them to talk to one
another - printed out a booklet off the internet with the 7 most likely
problems with file sharing. And followed them all through.

The laptop doesn't see this PC at all. This one sees the laptop, but only
some files can be shared - despite sharing being set to the same on all.

With users, public files share OK. those under my user name say I haven't
got permission. But all the folders and files in users set to share in the
same way.

Neither machine is set to need a log in after booting.

It was all so easy with Win7...

I frequently get the problem of 3 win10 PC's not sharing.
Usually this is solved for a while by going to:
PC SettingsNetwork & InternetStatusNetwork reset.
After restart an option comes up to file share with other computers.
I always click on yes. Problem solved until next time.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/04/2021 21:00, Robin wrote:
On 07/04/2021 19:26, GB wrote:
[...]

Homegroup was removed from Windows 10 Version 1803. Version 1803.Â* 1803
reached end of service in 2019.

So, you reckon that wasn't such a helpful recommendation then? ;-)

I just remember, on my network, that we had some windows home and some
windows pro PCs. The two lots talked nicely among each other, but home
wouldn't talk to pro, and vv. Turned out to be to do with homegroup
being the default network for win home, and workgroup being the default
for pro. I'm pleased to hear that that particular pitfall has been removed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
[...]

It's part of the 7 point answer I found via Google.

--
*If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
[...]

It could be worse. You might have a WD My Cloud storage device and
upgraded to their new 'improved' OS 5.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
[...]

I was something I had to do recently so I could see my NAS drive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2021 20:23, T i m wrote:
So I have to map drives using
the ip address.

This ,by far, has always been the most secure way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This PC (well, the one on this workstation) is cabled to my Lan. New
laptop WI-Fi. Have done all the usual tricks to get them to talk to one
another - printed out a booklet off the internet with the 7 most likely
problems with file sharing. And followed them all through.

The laptop doesn't see this PC at all. This one sees the laptop, but only
some files can be shared - despite sharing being set to the same on all.

With users, public files share OK. those under my user name say I haven't
got permission. But all the folders and files in users set to share in the
same way.

Neither machine is set to need a log in after booting.

It was all so easy with Win7...

Don't ask me how but I have my Win10 Pro, Win10 Home, Android and Win
XP all able to see eachother over the network. Well Android can see
the computers, not vice versa.

Some things became easier when I understood I didn't need Workgroups
any more.

I have shortcuts so for instance the Win10 Home shared folder is
\\Pavilion\MyFiles

On the whole I've created my own folder structure from Root and don't
generally use Windows' directories.

Diagnostics were made easier when I used AngryIP scanner, and then the
option to browse and IP.

It wasn't all as simple as I may seem to have made out but I don't
know what I did to get everything working. Playing with Master
Browser I don't think helped.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

Win7 had SMB 1.0 enabled by default. For Windows 10 it is disabled by
default due to vulnerabilities.

To enable in Win 10

You only need SMBv1 if talking to WinXP or earlier, or ancient versions
of SAMBA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

Win7 had SMB 1.0 enabled by default. For Windows 10 it is disabled by
default due to vulnerabilities.

To enable in Win 10

You only need SMBv1 if talking to WinXP or earlier, or ancient versions
of SAMBA.

Oddly, it's all working as it should be today. Without me doing anything
other than checking settings by the booklet I printed out.

There are three Win10 machines. And a fairly cheap Acer notebook that
struggles to run Win 7 starter - yet it seems to talk to all the others
OK. The BT router is set to use the same IP addresses.

The problem always seems to be between this PC which is cabled and the
ones on Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi ones usually talk to one another OK.
And this PC, on a cable, is the highest spec one.

--
*Tell me to 'stuff it' - I'm a taxidermist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 14:49:13 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Oddly, it's all working as it should be today. Without me doing anything
other than checking settings by the booklet I printed out.

Sometimes it just needs time. But a few days ago I ceased to able to
see the shared folder on my NAS boxes on my Win10 PC. Then I powered
one of the NAS boxes down to relocate in the loft, out of sight (part
of my back up strategy), and its share folder came back into view. So
I powered the others off for a few minutes, and their shared folders
reappeared when they came back on line.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Its all a complete doddle with linux. To the point where, using NFS, its
not obvious what folder are on what computer.

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Oddly, it's all working as it should be today. Without me doing anything
other than checking settings by the booklet I printed out.

Sometimes it just needs time. But a few days ago I ceased to able to
see the shared folder on my NAS boxes on my Win10 PC. Then I powered
one of the NAS boxes down to relocate in the loft, out of sight (part
of my back up strategy), and its share folder came back into view. So
I powered the others off for a few minutes, and their shared folders
reappeared when they came back on line.

That's been a feature of windows since at least XP. It randomly 'loses'
shares.

"Saki"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Peter Johnson wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

Oddly, it's all working as it should be today. Without me doing anything
other than checking settings by the booklet I printed out.

Sometimes it just needs time. But a few days ago I ceased to able to
see the shared folder on my NAS boxes on my Win10 PC. Then I powered
one of the NAS boxes down to relocate in the loft, out of sight (part
of my back up strategy), and its share folder came back into view. So
I powered the others off for a few minutes, and their shared folders
reappeared when they came back on line.

That's been a feature of windows since at least XP. It randomly 'loses'
shares.

Probably the main reason you don't encounter this random **** on
'proper' networks, is that the domain controllers are always on, and get
extra votes in the subnet master browser elections, so they will always
be "it", rather than random computers going to sleep, rebooting, turning
back on again all the time, so constant changes of what knows about what.

Additionally they act as internal DNS/WINS servers, but I think it's the
browse lists that help most.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its all a complete doddle with linux. To the point where, using NFS, its
not obvious what folder are on what computer.

As is completely wrecking your computer and losing all your data, also
a doddle with linux
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

Its all a complete doddle with linux. To the point where, using NFS, its
not obvious what folder are on what computer.

As is completely wrecking your computer and losing all your data,

Is what Microsoft updates excels at

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2021 23:48, wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Its all a complete doddle with linux. To the point where, using NFS, its
not obvious what folder are on what computer.

As is completely wrecking your computer and losing all your data,

Is what Microsoft updates excels at
--

yup

been 100% linux apart from a VM since 2004. No viruses, no data loss,. Nada.

If wrecking a computer and losing all its data were common, I dont think
it would be everyone's choice for operating system on internet based
servers.

People like IBM.

MS is the toy system along with macs.

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 10:42:45 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

As is completely wrecking your computer and losing all your data,

Is what Microsoft updates excels at

Bull****.

Not at all, auto-contradicting senile asshole!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Its all a complete doddle with linux. To the point where, using NFS, its
not obvious what folder are on what computer.

As is completely wrecking your computer and losing all your data,

Is what Microsoft updates excels at

Oddly, not something I've ever had a problem with. Do you unplug your
computer while its updating?

--
*With her marriage she got a new name and a dress.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 12:00:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Its all a complete doddle with linux. To the point where, using NFS, its
not obvious what folder are on what computer.

As is completely wrecking your computer and losing all your data,

Is what Microsoft updates excels at

Oddly, not something I've ever had a problem with. Do you unplug your
computer while its updating?

You've not been around enough!

https://www.zdnet.com/article/has-mi...their-updates/

What was the recent one?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-593adb8b1a88

There've been some more recently.

Don't you remember Microsoft Notworks? Windows (ok older version)
just hanging at around 3pm in offices because memory leaks used up all
available RAM. Windows Update stopped SQL server from running - that
was fun with an office full of people trying to run the office based
SQL management system. Or was it the other way around, SQL server
updated stopped Windows server? Doesn't matter really.

When was it they promised to start testing again before releasing
updates?

How about the Win10 roll-out? Burnt up machines on the fly. What
about those poacher hunters in Africa. All running some Windows
laptops and used all their funding on download costs over expensive
satellite links and in the meantime lost track of the poachers.

Still, they are matched by aircraft software engineers who think Miss
= young girl, ie less heavy than a Mrs or Ms and then the crew wonder
whiy the dialled in take off power is a bit low.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
Don't you remember Microsoft Notworks? Windows (ok older version)
just hanging at around 3pm in offices because memory leaks used up all
available RAM.

I have set mine only to install updates at power down. And it's unlikely
an office machine is needed 24/7.

--
*In some places, C:\ is the root of all directories *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Its all a complete doddle with linux. To the point where, using NFS, its
not obvious what folder are on what computer.

As is completely wrecking your computer and losing all your data,

Is what Microsoft updates excels at

Oddly, not something I've ever had a problem with. Do you unplug your
computer while its updating?

recent ones
https://www.maketecheasier.com/lates...date-problems/

I dont use windows but end up having to fix it for other people

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 12:00:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
Andrew wrote:

[...]

You can delay ingestion of patches, using the Advanced Options
in Windows Update, on Windows 10. This allows the more-eager
users to test the patches for you, Microsoft to pull them
and re-release them, before the next Patch Tuesday shows up.

https://i.postimg.cc/1zrYHPbk/Patch-Tuesday.gif

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 09:15:09 -0400, Paul
wrote:

AnthonyL wrote:
On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 12:00:20 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
Andrew wrote:

[...]

Indeed I already do. The wushowhide utility is another tool to stop
selective updates until ready. Depending on the update I might like
to ensure I've got a partition backup ready, using Clonezilla.