Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Woorking Inglenook fireplace with a working multifuel stove.........SWMBO would like colour changing lighting on a remote control inside tehinglenoook fireplace

We have lighting power available to said Inglenook fireplace via 1.5mm2
switched T&E from downstairs lighting circuit.

This used to feed a pair of incandescents via two surface mmount BC
pendant battens.... on the wood mantelpiece beam.

The BC battens have cracked in the heat and require replacement and
SWMBO would like a remote controlled colour changing system like:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ls-sl...ip-15-8w/278cc

What colour changing lighting systems can I consider that will not have
their lifetime shortened by the heat within said inglenook fireplace?

S.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

SH wrote:

We have lighting power available to said Inglenook fireplace via 1.5mm2
switched T&E from downstairs lighting circuit.

This used to feed a pair of incandescents via two surface mmount BC
pendant battens.... on the wood mantelpiece beam.

The BC battens have cracked in the heat and require replacement and
SWMBO would like a remote controlled colour changing system like:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ls-sl...ip-15-8w/278cc

What colour changing lighting systems can I consider that will not have
their lifetime shortened by the heat within said inglenook fireplace?

S.

I think sometimes you just have to say €œno€. ;-). No experience myself but
I suspect heat will kill the bulbs in fairly short order.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2021 19:46, SH wrote:

We have lighting power available to said Inglenook fireplace via 1.5mm2
switched T&E from downstairs lighting circuit.

This used to feed a pair of incandescents via two surface mmount BC
pendant battens.... on the wood mantelpiece beam.

The BC battens have cracked in the heat and require replacement and
SWMBO would like a remote controlled colour changing system like:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ls-sl...ip-15-8w/278cc

What colour changing lighting systems can I consider that will not have
their lifetime shortened by the heat within said inglenook fireplace?

S.

LEDs don't like heat!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2021 19:46, SH wrote:

We have lighting power available to said Inglenook fireplace via 1.5mm2
switched T&E from downstairs lighting circuit.

This used to feed a pair of incandescents via two surface mmount BC
pendant battens.... on the wood mantelpiece beam.

The BC battens have cracked in the heat and require replacement and
SWMBO would like a remote controlled colour changing system like:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ls-sl...ip-15-8w/278cc

What colour changing lighting systems can I consider that will not have
their lifetime shortened by the heat within said inglenook fireplace?

Put the bulb elsewhere and use a light pipe / fibre optic bundle to get
the light in there?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I can remember most of those say do not fit in small enclosed areas or
where they are exposed to excessive heat cold or moisture. What you do of
course is your affair but they will cover themselves in an increasingly
litigious world.
Maybe you need a light like used in ovens!

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim+" wrote in message
SH wrote:

We have lighting power available to said Inglenook fireplace via 1.5mm2
switched T&E from downstairs lighting circuit.

This used to feed a pair of incandescents via two surface mmount BC
pendant battens.... on the wood mantelpiece beam.

The BC battens have cracked in the heat and require replacement and
SWMBO would like a remote controlled colour changing system like:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ls-sl...ip-15-8w/278cc

What colour changing lighting systems can I consider that will not have
their lifetime shortened by the heat within said inglenook fireplace?

S.

I think sometimes you just have to say "no". ;-). No experience myself but
I suspect heat will kill the bulbs in fairly short order.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2021 08:30, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes I can remember most of those say do not fit in small enclosed areas or
where they are exposed to excessive heat cold or moisture. What you do of
course is your affair but they will cover themselves in an increasingly
litigious world.
Maybe you need a light like used in ovens!

In this case they cover themselves because the longevity of a LED is
dependant on keeping them at around 25C and not at highly elevated
temperatures that may be found around a working fire place.

In the case of the OPs selection I also doubt if the plastic LED strip
or the mounting glue would survive long in, or close to, a working
fireplace. Probably it would be impractical to mount the LEDs on a
substantial heat-sink in a fireplace as that may actually work in
reverse with respect to the LEDS - the fire heats up the heat-sink.