Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Working at heights - regulations

This is going on in the street opposite me at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that the firm I used to work for would have frowned on
this as a working practice. Does anyone have any comments on safety
precautions. Should they be wearing hard hats? ;-)

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...uVtbwEKFkfsLn7

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2021 11:15, Chris B wrote:
This is going on in the street opposite me at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that the firm I used to work for would have frowned on
this as a working practice.Â* Does anyone have any comments on safety
precautions.Â* Should they be wearing hard hats?Â* ;-)

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...uVtbwEKFkfsLn7

They probably used to call those ladder "cripples" for a reason!

AIUI you can still use such things, but they must have guard rails. e.g

https://www.laddersukdirect.co.uk/pl...drail/vprokits

Also not clear from the photo if what they are standing on is actually
platform or just another ladder.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2021 11:15, Chris B wrote:
This is going on in the street opposite me at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that the firm I used to work for would have frowned on
this as a working practice.Â* Does anyone have any comments on safety
precautions.Â* Should they be wearing hard hats?Â* ;-)

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...uVtbwEKFkfsLn7

When my mother had her soffits and gutters replaced a couple of years
back the same type of arrangement was used.

Do you need a hard hat it you are the one at the top dropping items on
to the people below?

On a related issue I watched some crap BBC lifestyle/DIY program the
other morning and everything they did included a warning about wearing a
full filtered mask, safety googles and gloves including putting up an
on-screen warnings where they were showing clips from decades ago when
no such equipment was seen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2021 12:24, John Rumm wrote:
On 26/02/2021 11:15, Chris B wrote:
This is going on in the street opposite me at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that the firm I used to work for would have frowned on
this as a working practice.Â* Does anyone have any comments on safety
precautions.Â* Should they be wearing hard hats?Â* ;-)

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...uVtbwEKFkfsLn7

They probably used to call those ladder "cripples" for a reason!

AIUI you can still use such things, but they must have guard rails. e.g

https://www.laddersukdirect.co.uk/pl...drail/vprokits

And it's primarily employers who have to watch such things. AFAIK
there's no law against individuals choosing to work as in the photo so
long as they're not putting others at risk. But the self-employed might
have to worry about their insurance. And I'd worry about the Mental
Health Act

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2021 12:36, Robin wrote:

And it's primarily employers who have to watch such things.Â* AFAIK
there's no law against individuals choosing to work as in the photo so
long as they're not putting others at risk.Â* But the self-employed might
have to worry about their insurance. And I'd worry about the Mental
Health Act

My OCD is worrying about the homeowners insurance ...

Liability of homeowners to contractors
https://www.digbybrown.co.uk/news/li...to-contractors

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 11:15:52 +0000, Chris B wrote:

This is going on in the street opposite me at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that the firm I used to work for would have frowned on
this as a working practice. Does anyone have any comments on safety
precautions. Should they be wearing hard hats? ;-)

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?

code=XZy2TuXZyeDF1oJMgkkfPSuVtbwEKFkfsLn7

It would be interesting to see their risk assessment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2021 14:06, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 26/02/2021 12:36, Robin wrote:

And it's primarily employers who have to watch such things.Â* AFAIK
there's no law against individuals choosing to work as in the photo so
long as they're not putting others at risk.Â* But the self-employed
might have to worry about their insurance. And I'd worry about the
Mental Health Act

My OCD is worrying about the homeowners insurance ...

Liability of homeowners to contractors
https://www.digbybrown.co.uk/news/li...to-contractors

I don't see anything there to worry about. The only case where the
homeowner was held liable involved him not just providing the ladder but
setting it up "in the A position", short of the roof, and unsecured.
--

Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2021 11:15, Chris B wrote:
This is going on in the street opposite me at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that the firm I used to work for would have frowned on
this as a working practice.Â* Does anyone have any comments on safety
precautions.Â* Should they be wearing hard hats?Â* ;-)

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...uVtbwEKFkfsLn7

I worked at heights all my life. I absolutely definitely wouldn't ever
have done anything like that. There's too much to go wrong. Too many
possibilities of equipment failure or operator error.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 26/02/2021 11:15, Chris B wrote:
This is going on in the street opposite me at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that the firm I used to work for would have frowned on
this as a working practice. Does anyone have any comments on safety
precautions. Should they be wearing hard hats? ;-)

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...uVtbwEKFkfsLn7

They probably used to call those ladder "cripples" for a reason!

AIUI you can still use such things, but they must have guard rails. e.g

https://www.laddersukdirect.co.uk/pl...drail/vprokits

Also not clear from the photo if what they are standing on is actually
platform or just another ladder.

Looks like another ladder to me with all those rung holes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 26/02/2021 11:15, Chris B wrote:
This is going on in the street opposite me at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that the firm I used to work for would have frowned on
this as a working practice. Does anyone have any comments on safety
precautions. Should they be wearing hard hats? ;-)

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...uVtbwEKFkfsLn7

When my mother had her soffits and gutters replaced a couple of years back
the same type of arrangement was used.

Do you need a hard hat it you are the one at the top dropping items on to
the people below?

That was my initial reaction but then I realised that you could well
be on the ground when you mate dropped a tool on your head.

I never bothered with a hard hat when I built the house, but
then there was never anyone else with tools above me.

On a related issue I watched some crap BBC lifestyle/DIY program the other
morning and everything they did included a warning about wearing a full
filtered mask, safety googles and gloves including putting up an on-screen
warnings where they were showing clips from decades ago when no such
equipment was seen.

Mate of mine is just having a house built by a builder on one of
3 big new things we call subdivisions and you lot call estates.

They all have silly 6' high mesh barriers around will be the fence line.
Very silly requirement given that anyone can walk thru them and the
builders people obviously do that all the time.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpwgeog8qd..._2783.jpg?dl=0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 06:39:52 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile asshole's latest troll**** unread again

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2021 18:39, williamwright wrote:
On 26/02/2021 11:15, Chris B wrote:
This is going on in the street opposite me at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that the firm I used to work for would have frowned on
this as a working practice.Â* Does anyone have any comments on safety
precautions.Â* Should they be wearing hard hats?Â* ;-)

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...uVtbwEKFkfsLn7

I worked at heights all my life. I absolutely definitely wouldn't ever
have done anything like that. There's too much to go wrong. Too many
possibilities of equipment failure or operator error.

Bill

Fred died of cancer, not falling off a chimney !
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 26/02/2021 11:15, Chris B wrote:
This is going on in the street opposite me at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that the firm I used to work for would have frowned on
this as a working practice.Â* Does anyone have any comments on safety
precautions.Â* Should they be wearing hard hats?Â* ;-)

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...uVtbwEKFkfsLn7

The lad on the left is on his phone:-)

We issued a written warning about that last week to one lad.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 26/02/2021 11:15, Chris B wrote:
This is going on in the street opposite me at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that the firm I used to work for would have frowned on
this as a working practice. Does anyone have any comments on safety
precautions. Should they be wearing hard hats? ;-)

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...uVtbwEKFkfsLn7

The lad on the left is on his phone:-)

We issued a written warning about that last week to one lad.

using a phone generally

or up top of a ladder?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Owain Lastname writes
On Saturday, 27 February 2021 at 08:12:56 UTC, ARW wrote:
We issued a written warning about that last week to one lad.

You are going soft in old age. Whatever happened to throwing it in the
cement-mixer and a clip round the lugole?

Because it weakens the concrete/mortar mix.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 12:14, Adrian wrote:
In message ,
Owain Lastname writes
On Saturday, 27 February 2021 at 08:12:56 UTC, ARW wrote:
We issued a written warning about that last week to one lad.

You are going soft in old age. Whatever happened to throwing it in the
cement-mixer and a clip round the lugole?

Because it weakens the concrete/mortar mix.

Adrian

Isn't cement delivered pre-mixed in big tubs to many larger
developments these days ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 09:05, Owain Lastname wrote:
On Saturday, 27 February 2021 at 08:12:56 UTC, ARW wrote:
The lad on the left is on his phone:-)

Maybe he's phoning the HSE.

We issued a written warning about that last week to one lad.

You are going soft in old age. Whatever happened to throwing it in the cement-mixer and a clip round the lugole?

Probably risks a visit from his mummy!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 08:12, ARW wrote:

This is going on in the street opposite me at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that the firm I used to work for would have frowned on
this as a working practice.Â* Does anyone have any comments on safety
precautions.Â* Should they be wearing hard hats? ;-)

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...uVtbwEKFkfsLn7

The lad on the left is on his phone:-)

It also looks as if they have blocked their exit with a pile of bricks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 13:56, Andrew wrote:
On 27/02/2021 12:14, Adrian wrote:
In message ,
Owain Lastname writes
On Saturday, 27 February 2021 at 08:12:56 UTC, ARW wrote:
We issued a written warning about that last week to one lad.

You are going soft in old age. Whatever happened to throwing it in
the cement-mixer and a clip round the lugole?

Because it weakens the concrete/mortar mix.

Adrian

Isn't cement delivered pre-mixed in big tubs to many larger
developments these days ?.

Cement usually comes bags.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2021 12:30, alan_m wrote:
On a related issue I watched some crap BBC lifestyle/DIY program the
other morning and everything they did included a warning about wearing a
full filtered mask, safety googles and gloves including putting up an
on-screen warnings where they were showing clips from decades ago when
no such equipment was seen.

Which is probably how people discovered that they should have used them. :-)

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 15:00, John Rumm wrote:

We issued a written warning about that last week to one lad.

You are going soft in old age. Whatever happened to throwing it in the
cement-mixer and a clip round the lugole?

Probably risks a visit from his mummy!

I'm sure Adam could cope :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2021 16:39, williamwright wrote:
On 27/02/2021 13:56, Andrew wrote:
On 27/02/2021 12:14, Adrian wrote:
In message ,
Owain Lastname writes
On Saturday, 27 February 2021 at 08:12:56 UTC, ARW wrote:
We issued a written warning about that last week to one lad.

You are going soft in old age. Whatever happened to throwing it in
the cement-mixer and a clip round the lugole?

Because it weakens the concrete/mortar mix.

Adrian

Isn't cement delivered pre-mixed in big tubs to many larger
developments these days ?.

Cement usually comes bags.

Bill

Sorry I meant ready-mixed mortar for brick laying,
like this stuff -

https://www.eco-readymix.co.uk/mortar/

Bannister heights Hamie UK diy 4 September 17th 05 08:26 PM
New home buying experience with Orchard Heights Community in San Jose, CA [email protected] Home Ownership 1 July 7th 05 02:55 AM
kitchen socket heights? Tim Morley UK diy 3 May 1st 05 09:28 PM
Variable heights antgel UK diy 2 April 1st 05 02:43 AM
socket and light switch heights Laurie UK diy 44 September 10th 03 11:01 PM