Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Briggs and Stratton oddity

I happened to stumble upon an old Hayter electric start lawnmower chucked
into the long grass by a road whilst out for a jog the other day so Ive
brought it home to see if its repairable or has any bits worth salvaging.

I started stripping it down and all the bolts were regular metric sizes
until I came to remove the engine cooling cowling. 10mm socket too big, 9mm
too small.

It did occur to me that they might not be the original bolts so I tried all
the AF and Whitworth spanners that I have. No joy.

Eventually dug out a cheap 9mm open ender spanner that could be forced on
with a bit of percussive persuasion.

Im now inclined to think that they are original as they all match and my
micrometer measures them up at 9.5mm. WTF is the point of that?? How many
socket sets include a 9.5?

I cant believe that a designer decided that 9 mm would be too weak and
that a 10mm would be too cramped for space.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

I cant believe that a designer decided that 9 mm would be too weak and
that a 10mm would be too cramped for space.

Tim

A layer of rust making a 9mm bolt oversize

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

I happened to stumble upon an old Hayter electric start lawnmower chucked
into the long grass by a road whilst out for a jog the other day so Ive
brought it home to see if its repairable or has any bits worth salvaging.

I started stripping it down and all the bolts were regular metric sizes
until I came to remove the engine cooling cowling. 10mm socket too big, 9mm
too small.

It did occur to me that they might not be the original bolts so I tried all
the AF and Whitworth spanners that I have. No joy.

Eventually dug out a cheap 9mm open ender spanner that could be forced on
with a bit of percussive persuasion.

Im now inclined to think that they are original as they all match and my
micrometer measures them up at 9.5mm. WTF is the point of that?? How many
socket sets include a 9.5?

My 3/8" socket would be at least 9.525mm, likely larger for a little
clearance. If this was a 3/8" bolt I would be surprised you squeezed a
9mm socket onto it, unless it was a 12 sided socket?

I cant believe that a designer decided that 9 mm would be too weak and
that a 10mm would be too cramped for space.

Briggs and Stratton has a US heritage so could well be imperial sizes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 18:51, alan_m wrote:
On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:
I cant believe that a designer decided that 9 mm would be too weak and
that a 10mm would be too cramped for space.

A layer of rust making a 9mm bolt oversize

The standard dodge is to use the larger spanner and then to fill the
gap with the tapered end od a large flat screwdriver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

I cant believe that a designer decided that 9 mm would be too weak and
that a 10mm would be too cramped for space.

Tim

A layer of rust making a 9mm bolt oversize

Nope. Definitely 9.5mm.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Um, that is 3/8" ...

I keep both socket sets here.

Such an occurrence here, would not even result in an eye roll.
We just alternate between the two socket sets, "until something fits".

With a lawn mower, the engine is made by one shop, the deck
and handle by another shop, with thousands of miles between 'em.

You're lucky the engine block is not made of plastic.
They tried that. Imagine how carefully you'd have to
torque the bolts then. "Oopsy, crack, too much torque"

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote
Tim+ wrote

I cant believe that a designer decided that 9 mm would be too weak and
that a 10mm would be too cramped for space.

A layer of rust making a 9mm bolt oversize

Can't see it growing that much that way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 18:51, Fredxx wrote:
On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

I happened to stumble upon an old Hayter electric start lawnmower chucked
into the long grass by a road whilst out for a jog the other day so Ive
brought it home to see if its repairable or has any bits worth
salvaging.

I started stripping it down and all the bolts were regular metric sizes
until I came to remove the engine cooling cowling. 10mm socket too
big, 9mm
too small.

It did occur to me that they might not be the original bolts so I
tried all
the AF and Whitworth spanners that I have. No joy.

Eventually dug out a cheap 9mm open ender spanner that could be forced on
with a bit of percussive persuasion.

Im now inclined to think that they are original as they all match and my
micrometer measures them up at 9.5mm.Â* WTF is the point of that?? How
many
socket sets include a 9.5?

My 3/8" socket would be at least 9.525mm, likely larger for a little
clearance. If this was a 3/8" bolt I would be surprised you squeezed a
9mm socket onto it, unless it was a 12 sided socket?

I cant believe that a designer decided that 9 mm would be too weak and
that a 10mm would be too cramped for space.

Briggs and Stratton has a US heritage so could well be imperial sizes.

Is the right answer. Could even be BSF/BSW. Although Hayter is British
(I used to work with a member of the family).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 19:36, Paul wrote:

You're lucky the engine block is not made of plastic.
They tried that. Imagine how carefully you'd have to
torque the bolts then. "Oopsy, crack, too much torque"

I've just replaced the plastic carburettor on my Briggs and Straton
engined lawn mower. The third party compatible carb cost around £10
(inclusive of postage). The only metal on the carb is the butterfly
flap, the inlet needle to the float chamber, the pin that is the pivot
point for the float, and the two bolts that hold it together.

I will strip down the one I took off but a can of carb cleaner
recommended for refurbishment could almost be the same cost as the
replacement carb. Also, all gasket kits also seem to be the same price
as a the third party carb replacement - luckily the gaskets are robust
and a replacement is not required for the carb I removed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

3/8" is 9.525mm
--
Cheers
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 20:39, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

Ignore me. Been said.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Found a 3/8€ inch ring spanner eventually. It fits rather loosely but
better than anything else so far.

I keep both socket sets here.

Such an occurrence here, would not even result in an eye roll.
We just alternate between the two socket sets, "until something fits".

With a lawn mower, the engine is made by one shop, the deck
and handle by another shop, with thousands of miles between 'em.

Yeah but, these are bolts into the engine block. Everything else bolted to
the engine is metric.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

I didnt squeeze a 9mm socket onto it. Re-read my post. A 3/8€ spanner fits
rather loosely (but usably).

I cant believe that a designer decided that 9 mm would be too weak and
that a 10mm would be too cramped for space.

Briggs and Stratton has a US heritage so could well be imperial sizes.

But that wouldnt explain why all the other engine bolts are standard
metric sizes. Its just the engine cooling shroud retaining bolts that are
odd.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur wrote:
On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

Yeah but, my micrometer measured at 9.49-9.50.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Fredxx wrote:
On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

What are the other engine bolts ? There are some that
work fine with both metric and non metric spanners.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 20:47, Tim+ wrote:
Paul wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
[...]

What diameter and threads per inch are the bolts themselves?

--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 20:47, Tim+ wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

Sorry! "9mm open ender spanner".

I have been known to hammer open spanners successfully too.

Sometimes it is useful to have a digital caliper. I fine 1/2" sockets
and 13mm are often interchangeable down to tolerances.

I cant believe that a designer decided that 9 mm would be too weak and
that a 10mm would be too cramped for space.

Briggs and Stratton has a US heritage so could well be imperial sizes.

But that wouldnt explain why all the other engine bolts are standard
metric sizes. Its just the engine cooling shroud retaining bolts that are
odd.

You might get a clue from a thread gauge. The pitch on threads is more
accurately defined.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 20:59, Rod Speed wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
Fredxx wrote:
On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

What are the other engine bolts ?Â* There are some that
work fine with both metric and non metric spanners.

11mm and 7/8" are interchangeable, and as I've said 1/2" and 13mm can be
generally used interchangeably, so can 14mm and 9/16". It all depends on
the quality of spanners/sockets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 20:49, Tim+ wrote:
Clive Arthur wrote:
On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

I think the 3/8" - 9.52mm is treated like an upper limit. So 9.49-9.50
is a quality bolt. Shame about the 3/8" spanner!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Feb 2021 at 19:21:56 GMT, "Tim+" wrote:

alan_m wrote:
On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

I cant believe that a designer decided that 9 mm would be too weak and
that a 10mm would be too cramped for space.

Tim

A layer of rust making a 9mm bolt oversize

Nope. Definitely 9.5mm.

Tim

That's 3/8" AF with pretty high precision.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Fredxx wrote:
On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

Yeah, thats what I meant. If they other engine bolts are all the
same size, and is one of the ones you listed, it wouldnt be at
all surprising that they are all non metric given that its B&S.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 22:18:46 +0000, Fredxx, the notorious, troll-feeding,
senile smartass, blathered again:

FLUSH

About time you two endlessly babbling senile twits got a hotel room! Eh,
smartass Freddie? BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 19:21, Tim+ wrote:
alan_m wrote:
On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

I cant believe that a designer decided that 9 mm would be too weak and
that a 10mm would be too cramped for space.

Tim

A layer of rust making a 9mm bolt oversize

Nope. Definitely 9.5mm

Nope, definitely 3/8"

Briggs are Yankee - its all imperial

Tim

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

It is UNF or UNC. UNC is coarse for cast iron. UNF is the more normal.
9.5mm is a shade under 3/8"

a 3/8" AF should have fitted it like a glove. Almost certainly a 1/4"
bolt diameter.

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 25/02/2021 19:21, Tim+ wrote:
alan_m wrote:
On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

I cant believe that a designer decided that 9 mm would be too weak and
that a 10mm would be too cramped for space.

Tim

A layer of rust making a 9mm bolt oversize

Nope. Definitely 9.5mm

Nope, definitely 3/8"

Briggs are Yankee - its all imperial

Well I guess it is 3/8€ after all. Just seems odd that so many of the
engine bolts seem to be metric but not these ones. Live and learn.

Anyone happen to know what voltage the starter motors require?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message

Anyone happen to know what voltage the starter motors require?

Tim

normaly 12volt dont ever remember seeing a 6volt on any B&S

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message

Anyone happen to know what voltage the starter motors require?

Tim

normaly 12volt dont ever remember seeing a 6volt on any B&S

Cheers.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 19:21, Tim+ wrote:
alan_m wrote:
On 25/02/2021 18:28, Tim+ wrote:

I cant believe that a designer decided that 9 mm would be too weak
and
that a 10mm would be too cramped for space.

Tim

A layer of rust making a 9mm bolt oversize

Nope. Definitely 9.5mm

Nope, definitely 3/8"

Briggs are Yankee - its all imperial

Well I guess it is 3/8€ after all. Just seems odd that so many
of the engine bolts seem to be metric but not these ones.

Bet they aren't metric either, just the one that has
the same spanner for metric and non metric.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 06:58:43 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rodent:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2021 13:10, Tim+ wrote:

Well I guess it is 3/8€ after all. Just seems odd that so many of the
engine bolts seem to be metric but not these ones. Live and learn.

But have you looked at the actual threads? Just because a metric spanner
is a close fit to the head size doesn't necessarily mean it's a metric
bolt. Metric spanners are a good enough fit on many UNF and UNC bolts.
--
Cheers,
Roger