Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Not that anybody is interested...

Further to my close up eyesight getting better recently known as "second
sight"......I'm just back from the Optician and all is Ok ...no diabetic
changes.... pressure OK ....blood supply to rear of eye OK ....cataracts
not getting any worse....slight change in my prescription.....BTW they
no longer hand you your prescription before you leave any longer...I
suppose this is to try and stop you wandering off to the cheap
suppliers...I suppose they are legally bound to give you it if you ask ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimmy Stewart ... was thinking very hard :
I suppose they are legally bound to give you it if you ask ? ......

Yes, you can insist.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2021 11:57, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
Further to my close up eyesight getting better recently known as "second
sight"......I'm just back from the Optician and all is Ok ...no diabetic
changes.... pressure OK ....blood supply to rear of eye OK ....cataracts
not getting any worse....slight change in my prescription.....BTWÂ*Â* they
no longer hand you your prescription before you leave any longer...I
suppose this is to try and stop you wandering off to the cheap
suppliers...I suppose they are legally bound to give you it if you ask ?

Yes they are meant to give you the results.
I usually buy a very cheap pair of glasses to keep in the car for
emergency use. I once had the screw fall out of my glasses frame
followed by the lens dropping out whilst driving and the spare pair
allowed me to carry on with my journey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2021 21:13, alan_m wrote:
On 24/02/2021 11:57, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
Further to my close up eyesight getting better recently known as
"second sight"......I'm just back from the Optician and all is Ok
...no diabetic changes.... pressure OK ....blood supply to rear of eye
OK ....cataracts not getting any worse....slight change in my
prescription.....BTWÂ*Â* they no longer hand you your prescription
before you leave any longer...I suppose this is to try and stop you
wandering off to the cheap suppliers...I suppose they are legally
bound to give you it if you ask ? ......

Yes they are meant to give you the results.
I usually buy a very cheap pair of glasses to keep in the car for
emergency use. I once had the screw fall out of my glasses frame
followed by the lens dropping out whilst driving and the spare pair
allowed me to carry on with my journey.

Some countries require you to carry a spare pair when driving.

I am due an eye test soon, but up to now, although my long sight has
never been good and short is deteriorating, I've always fallen on the
legal to drive without glasses side - although I frequently have a spare
pair in the car anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 21:13:43 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 24/02/2021 11:57, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
Further to my close up eyesight getting better recently known as
"second sight"......I'm just back from the Optician and all is Ok ...no
diabetic changes.... pressure OK ....blood supply to rear of eye OK
....cataracts not getting any worse....slight change in my
prescription.....BTWÂ*Â* they no longer hand you your prescription before
you leave any longer...I suppose this is to try and stop you wandering
off to the cheap suppliers...I suppose they are legally bound to give
you it if you ask ? ......

Yes they are meant to give you the results.
I usually buy a very cheap pair of glasses to keep in the car for
emergency use. I once had the screw fall out of my glasses frame
followed by the lens dropping out whilst driving and the spare pair
allowed me to carry on with my journey.

I believ they are not obliged to give you the PD. So I ask.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
[...]

We only have that for flying.

I am due an eye test soon, but up to now, although my long sight has never
been good and short is deteriorating, I've always fallen on the legal to
drive without glasses side

My state is much worse. I have just failed the eye
test due to cataracts even tho I can read the smallest
street signs like the name of the street fine.

- although I frequently have a spare pair in the car anyway.

I have never done that but at one time had prescription sunnys
which are close enough to that. I now use clip on sunnys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 09:17:48 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

We only have that for flying.

NOBODY talked to you, senile troll!

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2021 22:17, Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry to hear that. How did they test the severity of the cataract?
Does it stop you driving during the day too?

Some friends with partial cataracts would avoid driving at night.

- although I frequently have a spare pair in the car anyway.

I have never done that but at one time had prescription sunnys
which are close enough to that. I now use clip on sunnys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2021 22:00, Bob Eager wrote:

I believ they are not obliged to give you the PD. So I ask.

But its so easy to measure your PD. Take a selfie with your smart phone
with a ruler held at eyebrow level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5dOglpKq4I

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 22:28:51 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 24/02/2021 22:00, Bob Eager wrote:

I believ they are not obliged to give you the PD. So I ask.

But its so easy to measure your PD. Take a selfie with your smart phone
with a ruler held at eyebrow level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5dOglpKq4I

I have got SWMBO to do that. In fact I measure from mid nose to the
centre of my right eye, then double it. That's more accurate - for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 22:25:36 +0000, Fredxx, the notorious, troll-feeding,
senile smartass, blathered again:

I'm sorry to hear that. How did they test the severity of the cataract?
Does it stop you driving during the day too?

You just can't get enough of sucking the senile troll's wrinkled old cock,
eh, troll-feeding senile asshole, regardless of how much he keeps insulting
and abusing you! Is that some sort of masochistic thing with you, poor
idiot? BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2021 11:57, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
BTWÂ*Â* they
no longer hand you your prescription before you leave any longer...I
suppose this is to try and stop you wandering off to the cheap
suppliers...I suppose they are legally bound to give you it if you ask ?

Unless something has changed and i've missed it they are legally obliged
to give it to you whether you ask or not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Steve Walker wrote
alan_m wrote
Jimmy Stewart ... wrote

[...]

I'm sorry to hear that.

So am I. I knew that I was going to have to pass
the eye chart test on the license renewal and since
I can see fine and dont get any symptoms with the
cataracts, was planning to memorise that line I am
marginal on that you need to pass here. I forgot
that they require the GP to endorse that I am fit
to drive when you pass a specific age here. That
fell due a couple of months before the license
renewal so it wasnt easy to memorise the line
in the doctors room since I couldnt ever remember
seeing it in his room. The eye chart in the rego office
is behind each checkout, so easy to bodycam photo.

How did they test the severity of the cataract?

They dont, they just get you to read the eye chart.

But all the optometrists always comment on it and
have done for years now and last year the ophthalmologist
I needed to see after a significant eye injury said that
the cataracts are quite severe now and that I would
likely fail the license test.

Does it stop you driving during the day too?

Yes, there is no distinction between day
and night driving here with the eye test.

Some friends with partial cataracts would avoid driving at night.

Yeah, some do get visual symptoms at night. I dont.

The other problem is that the waiting time for cataract
surgery is 12 months for the free one on our equivalent
of the NHS here. I will likely pay for it to be done quicker
on the private system. And thats 12 months per eye,
although you can drive again with just one eye done.

- although I frequently have a spare pair in the car anyway.

I have never done that but at one time had prescription sunnys
which are close enough to that. I now use clip on sunnys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My state is much worse. I have just failed the eye
test due to cataracts even tho I can read the smallest
street signs like the name of the street fine.

think it's time for you to do all the things in that old shagged out KIA
you were telling me to do...tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many email it these days.
I would say this though, if you have had an eye trauma recently the sight
can be better for some days. Nobody knows why this can revive some dead
retinal cells for them to just go downhill afterwards.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jimmy Stewart ..." wrote in message
Further to my close up eyesight getting better recently known as "second
sight"......I'm just back from the Optician and all is Ok ...no diabetic
changes.... pressure OK ....blood supply to rear of eye OK ....cataracts
not getting any worse....slight change in my prescription.....BTW they
no longer hand you your prescription before you leave any longer...I
suppose this is to try and stop you wandering off to the cheap
suppliers...I suppose they are legally bound to give you it if you ask ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

alan_m wrote:

But its so easy to measure your PD. Take a selfie with your smart phone
with a ruler held at eyebrow level.

I have got SWMBO to do that. In fact I measure from mid nose to the
centre of my right eye, then double it. That's more accurate - for me.

I took a sneaky photo of the PC screen in specsavers while the person
had gone off to speak to a colleague, they measure the PD and OC per eye
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 10:52:14 PM UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 22:28:51 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 24/02/2021 22:00, Bob Eager wrote:

I believ they are not obliged to give you the PD. So I ask.

But its so easy to measure your PD. Take a selfie with your smart phone
with a ruler held at eyebrow level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5dOglpKq4I

Hi Bob

I have got SWMBO to do that. In fact I measure from mid nose to the
centre of my right eye, then double it. That's more accurate - for me.

Huh?

I measure my PD myself as well. But how is that method more accurate
than measuring the actual PD in full?

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 08:29:33 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

alan_m wrote:

But its so easy to measure your PD. Take a selfie with your smart
phone with a ruler held at eyebrow level.

I have got SWMBO to do that. In fact I measure from mid nose to the
centre of my right eye, then double it. That's more accurate - for me.

I took a sneaky photo of the PC screen in specsavers while the person
had gone off to speak to a colleague, they measure the PD and OC per eye

Mine was done manually! Single value.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 00:47:21 -0800, jkn wrote:

I have got SWMBO to do that. In fact I measure from mid nose to the
centre of my right eye, then double it. That's more accurate - for me.

Huh?

I measure my PD myself as well. But how is that method more accurate
than measuring the actual PD in full?

I said - for me.

My left eye is missing. I'm only concerned about the position of the
right lens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I took a sneaky photo of the PC screen in specsavers while the person
had gone off to speak to a colleague, they measure the PD and OC per eye

Mine was done manually!

The PC didn't do the measuring, it was just where they entered the
values for dispensing/manufacturing.

Single value.

..-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 11:20:45 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I took a sneaky photo of the PC screen in specsavers while the person
had gone off to speak to a colleague, they measure the PD and OC per
eye

Mine was done manually!

The PC didn't do the measuring, it was just where they entered the
values for dispensing/manufacturing.

Single value.

.-)

No, I mean they measured all the way across...the value they gave me was
total distance between pupils. What they had on the PC is another matter!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 10:58:56 AM UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 00:47:21 -0800, jkn wrote:

I have got SWMBO to do that. In fact I measure from mid nose to the
centre of my right eye, then double it. That's more accurate - for me.

Huh?

I measure my PD myself as well. But how is that method more accurate
than measuring the actual PD in full?

I said - for me.

I know - I was curious about the clarification

My left eye is missing. I'm only concerned about the position of the
right lens.

Fair enough. It didn't seem likely that your nose was *by definition*
half-way between. I didn't think laterally enough, thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 04:44:03 -0800, jkn wrote:

On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 10:58:56 AM UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 00:47:21 -0800, jkn wrote:

I have got SWMBO to do that. In fact I measure from mid nose to the
centre of my right eye, then double it. That's more accurate - for
me.

Huh?

I measure my PD myself as well. But how is that method more accurate
than measuring the actual PD in full?

I said - for me.

I know - I was curious about the clarification

My left eye is missing. I'm only concerned about the position of the
right lens.

Fair enough. It didn't seem likely that your nose was *by definition*
half-way between. I didn't think laterally enough, thanks.

Laterally - I like that! Sorry, I thought most people knew.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 08:29, Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:

alan_m wrote:

But its so easy to measure your PD. Take a selfie with your smart phone
with a ruler held at eyebrow level.

I have got SWMBO to do that. In fact I measure from mid nose to the
centre of my right eye, then double it. That's more accurate - for me.

I took a sneaky photo of the PC screen in specsavers while the person
had gone off to speak to a colleague, they measure the PD and OC per eye

I think the OC is mainly needed for varifocals. For single vision
glasses the optician held a ruler up to determine the PD. For varifocals
I looked through a device and the optician noted stuff or made marks on
something, except when I was using existing frames, when she looked at
me wearing the old glasses and put marks on the lenses.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 24/02/2021 23:16, R D S wrote:
On 24/02/2021 11:57, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
BTWÂ*Â* they no longer hand you your prescription before you leave any
longer...I suppose this is to try and stop you wandering off to the
cheap suppliers...I suppose they are legally bound to give you it if
you ask ?

Unless something has changed and i've missed it they are legally obliged
to give it to you whether you ask or not.

Is it a fight in the car park if they refuse to accept it:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/02/2021 20:00, ARW wrote:
On 24/02/2021 23:16, R D S wrote:
On 24/02/2021 11:57, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
BTWÂ*Â* they no longer hand you your prescription before you leave any
longer...I suppose this is to try and stop you wandering off to the
cheap suppliers...I suppose they are legally bound to give you it if
you ask ?

Unless something has changed and i've missed it they are legally
obliged to give it to you whether you ask or not.

Is it a fight in the car park if they refuse to accept it:-)

I would hope it doesn't come to that. This document is interesting:

https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-conten...ontract-v6.pdf

"Where a Contractor or an ophthalmic practitioner employed or engaged by
it to perform the Contract issues to a patient a prescription for an
optical appliance, it shall, immediately thereafter, require the patient
to acknowledge its receipt on a sight test form."

But utlimately it will be NHS England, or appropriate jurisdiction.