DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replacing the charging port on a Note 9 (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/685137-replacing-charging-port-note-9-a.html)

[email protected] February 23rd 21 02:35 PM

Replacing the charging port on a Note 9

It looks like I need to replace the charging port on my Galaxy Note 9.
The videos make it look straightforward but are there any gotchas?

Adrian Caspersz February 23rd 21 06:06 PM

On 23/02/2021 14:35, wrote:
It looks like I need to replace the charging port on my Galaxy Note 9.
The videos make it look straightforward but are there any gotchas?

You need to consume the right amount of alcohol so that it steadies ya
nerves, but not so much that ye can't see what you are doing.

or seriously, if you haven't done this sort of microsurgery on phone
electronics before, take it easy, and avoid stressing connectors, flexes
and screws. Watch more videos, and have a good small toolkit with
non-magnetic tweezers.

Banish other persons and phone calls until you are done swearing.

--
Adrian C

Chris Green February 23rd 21 06:55 PM

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 23/02/2021 14:35, wrote:
It looks like I need to replace the charging port on my Galaxy Note 9.
The videos make it look straightforward but are there any gotchas?

You need to consume the right amount of alcohol so that it steadies ya
nerves, but not so much that ye can't see what you are doing.

or seriously, if you haven't done this sort of microsurgery on phone
electronics before, take it easy, and avoid stressing connectors, flexes
and screws. Watch more videos, and have a good small toolkit with
non-magnetic tweezers.

Banish other persons and phone calls until you are done swearing.

Find something to practice on if you can.

I recently replaced an SMD switch in my car's remote. The unsoldering
of the failed switch was what worried me most so I played at
unsoldering on some old PCBs before doing the actual deed.

--
Chris Green
·

Rod Speed February 23rd 21 07:17 PM

Replacing the charging port on a Note 9

wrote

Yep. that thing can burst into flames if you **** the battery.

[email protected] February 26th 21 12:04 PM

On 23/02/2021 18:06, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 23/02/2021 14:35, wrote:
It looks like I need to replace the charging port on my Galaxy Note 9.
The videos make it look straightforward but are there any gotchas?

You need to consume the right amount of alcohol so that it steadies ya
nerves, but not so much that ye can't see what you are doing.

or seriously, if you haven't done this sort of microsurgery on phone
electronics before, take it easy, and avoid stressing connectors, flexes
and screws. Watch more videos, and have a good small toolkit with
non-magnetic tweezers.

Banish other persons and phone calls until you are done swearing.

:-) That all sounds like excellent advice. The new charging port
assembly has arrived (how are they so cheap?) so I can't postpone any
longer, especially as wireless charging seems flaky.

[email protected] February 26th 21 12:06 PM

On 23/02/2021 18:55, Chris Green wrote:
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 23/02/2021 14:35, wrote:
It looks like I need to replace the charging port on my Galaxy Note 9.
The videos make it look straightforward but are there any gotchas?

You need to consume the right amount of alcohol so that it steadies ya
nerves, but not so much that ye can't see what you are doing.

or seriously, if you haven't done this sort of microsurgery on phone
electronics before, take it easy, and avoid stressing connectors, flexes
and screws. Watch more videos, and have a good small toolkit with
non-magnetic tweezers.

Banish other persons and phone calls until you are done swearing.

Find something to practice on if you can.

I recently replaced an SMD switch in my car's remote. The unsoldering
of the failed switch was what worried me most so I played at
unsoldering on some old PCBs before doing the actual deed.

Soldering holds no fears (but doesn't seem to be required). It's using a
heat gun to remove the glass phone back that has me worried.