Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What adhesive for mounting a large map?

I've been tasked with mounting a paper map (1000x1410mm) on a backer
(probably ply or MDF), then to add some sort of surround to prettify it
and then to hang it on a wall. Getting a large sheet of paper stuck-down
wrinkle-free and in the right place needs a bit of planning so what
adhesives and techniques do the team suggest?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

spray mount

the regular stuff isn't permanent, but it looks like photo mount will do
the job

Maybe get it into position and wrinkle free with the re-positionable
stuff first?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2021 16:15, Martin Brown wrote:
snip

Might be worth looking for a commercial clip on frame that size and then
you would get the benefit of glass covering the original image as well.

*not* cheap but with the proper glass brings the benefit of some
protection from UV fading

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2021 13:37, wrote:
I've been tasked with mounting a paper map (1000x1410mm) on a backer
(probably ply or MDF), then to add some sort of surround to prettify
it and then to hang it on a wall. Getting a large sheet of paper
stuck-down wrinkle-free and in the right place needs a bit of planning
so what adhesives and techniques do the team suggest?

Photographic spray on glue - expensive but good. You will need to
practice on some scrap to get the technique right even so.

The repositionable one is more forgiving but doesn't stick as well -
unless you are experienced in doing this sort of thing I'd recommend
that you use it. The trick is to put it down along a diagonal corner to
corner and then work out from the centre with a soft cloth.

The contact adhesive version sticks more strongly but it is very
definitely a once it touches down you are stuck with it there.

Might be worth looking for a commercial clip on frame that size and then
you would get the benefit of glass covering the original image as well.

The map is 1000x1410mm - close to 40x60", which I think is a standard
poster size. Clip-on frames seem to stop at A0 (841x1189mm) so I
considered making my own but the materials cost was surprising. Hence
the plan to stick it onto something and create a frame. I did consider
snap frames £60+, and also some concern about the thin plastic cover
flopping away from the centre of such a large area.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2021 19:22, wrote:
On 17/02/2021 16:15, Martin Brown wrote:
On 17/02/2021 13:37,
wrote:
[...]

yes, 40 x 60 and 1400 x 1000 mm are standard sizes and available. I
only ever bought a couple, when the firm was paying, and from a local
supplier with glass covering. I don't like to to think what that'd cost
now.

The ones online seem to use acrylic or other (unspecified) plastic
covering which may not be easy to clean without scratching. Eg

https://www.jansen-display.co.uk/snap-frame-100x140

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TMSolo-Frames-Picture-140x100-Approx/dp/B0089O7VZG?th=1

Off the wall thought: worth asking for a quote for clear vinyl from a
local car wrapping service?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...

The map is 1000x1410mm - close to 40x60", which I think is a standard poster size.

As you intend to make a frame, presumably cutting the backing to size should
present no problem either.

Assuming for the sake of simplicity that the backing is 42x60 That gives two
inches extra on the left hand side,

Using 4 inch low tack masking tape mount the map onto the backing aligning it
with the right hand side thus giving a two inch "hinge" on the left hand side.
With the map thus "fixed" in position roll it right back to the left clear of
the backing. In the past the adhesive I would ave used for this would have been
Cow Gum rubber solution. Basically the rubber solution was applied to the backing
a strip at a time and the map unrolled onto this and smoothed out as the unrolling
progressed. Just so long as the map is satisfactorily smoothed out, it isn't even
necessary to complete the operation in one go.
Rubber solution is simply worked into the gap between the backing and the rolled up
map and then applied to the backing as before.

This is one coat rubber solution application which is re-postionable and doesn't
dry out immediately.
Two coat application where both surfaces are coated and allowed to dry as in innertube
patches is different,

This usually lasts for around ten years before drying out, losing adhesion and leaving
a yellow residue. In which case the procedure is repeated in this case wrapping the
masking tape around the left hand side of the now trimmed backing.

Rubber solution on impervious surfaces can be simply rubbed off
when dry. This is also possible on thick gloss paper. Otherwise lighter fuel is used.
They don't make Cow Gum any more but there's a German equivalent Maribu
which costs £23.50 post free for a 500gram tin on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marabu-Fixo...c=1&th=1&psc=1

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2021 21:11, alan_m wrote:
But make sure when pasting the board it doesn't lead to discolouration
of the paste - or else it will bleed through to the surface of the map.

You may have to seal the board first

You haven't done this yourself at all, ever have you?

I bet you haven't even painted MDF with water based emulsion paint or
acrylic undercoat.

Curiously enough the manufacturers of MDF have decided in their infinite
wisdom not to make it out of substances that will leach staining on
application of any water based coat such as is now mandatory on all
domestic paint products...

....how remarkably stupid of them.

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2021 22:20, newshound wrote:
On 17/02/2021 15:17, wrote:
On 17/02/2021 15:12, newshound wrote:
On 17/02/2021 13:37,
wrote:
I've been tasked with mounting a paper map (1000x1410mm) on a backer
(probably ply or MDF), then to add some sort of surround to prettify
it and then to hang it on a wall. Getting a large sheet of paper
stuck-down wrinkle-free and in the right place needs a bit of
planning so what adhesives and techniques do the team suggest?

Last time I did that I used wallpaper paste. Making sure of course
that I let it soak in, and taking care not to stretch it. Have you
checked though whether you can get a suitable "sandwich" type with
polycarbonate, hardboard, and a few clips.

I'd ruled-out wallpaper paste because of the stretch risk, and also
because I don't know how well it would adhere to MR MDF. What did you
use as a backing?

Mine was on Hardboard. No need to prime that or MDF or plywood IMHO.

Exactly.

There are people who pontificate from an armchair, and there are people
who have done it

I've got maps going back 25 years wallpaper pasted onto IIRC hardboard
backing and have used backing paper on MDF and/or painted it with emulsion

Spray mount is for wimps and snoflakes. Real men boil cornflour and
water and use that :-)

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2021 21:11, alan_m wrote:
But make sure when pasting the board it doesn't lead to discolouration
of the paste - or else it will bleed through to the surface of the map.

You may have to seal the board first

You haven't done this yourself at all, ever have you?

Yep, I once printed out a large poster on on multiple sheets of A4 and
then glued it to a large piece of hardboard. It was to advertise an
event that I was partly responsible for organising. It was glued to the
shiny side of hardboard with wall paper paste. The glue and paper became
discoloured but for my application it didn't really matter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2021 21:18, michael adams wrote:
wrote in message ...

[...]

Thanks Michael, making a tape hinge at one edge is a good idea. I think
the choice is either your hinge or Martin's suggestion of getting the
diagonal correct and then working out from there. Once stuck, Bill's
suggestion of using a clear matt varnish is also better than trying to
get a plastic film to stay in place across such a large area.
Regarding adhesive: I'm now tempted to use dilute "builders" PVA which I
can roll onto the backing, but I'll investigate Maribu first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...

Thanks Michael, making a tape hinge at one edge is a good idea. I think the choice is
either your hinge or Martin's suggestion of getting the diagonal correct and then
working out from there. Once stuck, Bill's suggestion of using a clear matt varnish is
also better than trying to get a plastic film to stay in place across such a large
area.
Regarding adhesive: I'm now tempted to use dilute "builders" PVA which I can roll onto
the backing, but I'll investigate Maribu first.

PVA is water based. Whether this has potential to create problems is
another matter*. I bought a 500g tin of Marabu years back for an architectural
type model made of polyboard and can confirm that 500g, the tin is 4.5in heigh
with a 4in circumference, will do the job.
The masking tape hinge used the materials at hand. A similar set up could
probably be arranged with a piece of thick card and g-clamps fixed to one
end of the pre-trimmed backing. So that all the right hand side could be unrolled
and stuck down and then the card and g-clamps removed and that strip stuck
down last.

* Rubber solution being spirit based won't effect paper. It does however give
off vapours with vaguely hallucinogenic properties which may have been partially
responsible for its demise.and should ideally be used in a well ventilated environment.

michael adams