Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default FCU to fit in existing double box - possible?

I have an old blanked off double socket box that I'd like to fit an
FCU into, is there any way to do this? It's a cemented in double
metal box so is pretty much immovable without destroying things
somewhat.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 16 February 2021 at 16:48:06 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I have an old blanked off double socket box that I'd like to fit an
FCU into, is there any way to do this? It's a cemented in double
metal box so is pretty much immovable without destroying things
somewhat.

--
Chris Green
·

I think the best you can do is to use a double modular plate fitted with a switch and a fuse module plus a couple of blanking pieces to cover the remaining gaps. The only issue will be that as far as I know the switches are only single pole unlike in an FCU where they are double pole. any way see what is available below.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrica...ies/cat7230010

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2021 16:36, Chris Green wrote:
I have an old blanked off double socket box that I'd like to fit an
FCU into, is there any way to do this? It's a cemented in double
metal box so is pretty much immovable without destroying things
somewhat.

MK Grid Switch range?

https://tinyurl.com/14qcx2v8

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2021 17:09, Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Tuesday, 16 February 2021 at 16:48:06 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I have an old blanked off double socket box that I'd like to fit an
FCU into, is there any way to do this? It's a cemented in double
metal box so is pretty much immovable without destroying things
somewhat.

--
Chris Green
·

I think the best you can do is to use a double modular plate fitted with a switch and a fuse module plus a couple of blanking pieces to cover the remaining gaps. The only issue will be that as far as I know the switches are only single pole unlike in an FCU where they are double pole. any way see what is available below.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrica...ies/cat7230010

Screwfix also stock the MK Grid Switch range - which includes
fuseholders and double-pole switches.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Tuesday, 16 February 2021 at 16:48:06 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I have an old blanked off double socket box that I'd like to fit an
FCU into, is there any way to do this? It's a cemented in double
metal box so is pretty much immovable without destroying things
somewhat.

--
Chris Green
·

I think the best you can do is to use a double modular plate fitted with
a switch and a fuse module plus a couple of blanking pieces to cover the
remaining gaps. The only issue will be that as far as I know the switches
are only single pole unlike in an FCU where they are double pole. any way
see what is available below.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrica...ies/cat7230010

Yes, I wondered if modular components would do what I need. However
it becomes a bit pointless unless I can fit an FCU in some shape or
form.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

MK Grid Plus has what I need, i.e. a fuse and a cable outlet. Do the
frames and covers fit in standard boxes? If so I guess I need a 3-way
cover plate, a fuse, a cable outlet and a blanking plate (assuming a
3-way cover and grid frame fit in a standard double box).

Does that sound right?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 16/02/2021 18:11, Chris Green wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

Scolmore/CLICK

CMA432
MD017WH
MD018WH
MD047WH

Or something like that. I have not had chance to double check they are
the correct part numbers.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2021 16:36, Chris Green wrote:
I have an old blanked off double socket box that I'd like to fit an
FCU into, is there any way to do this? It's a cemented in double
metal box so is pretty much immovable without destroying things
somewhat.

as others have said you can cope with that with a grid system but IIRC
not with the IP rating you were previously seeking.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
I have an old blanked off double socket box that I'd like to fit an
FCU into, is there any way to do this? It's a cemented in double
metal box so is pretty much immovable without destroying things
somewhat.

Make it up out of grid components. A three gang one with a blank in one of
them (or a neon). Will cost more, though.

--
*When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
I have an old blanked off double socket box that I'd like to fit an
FCU into, is there any way to do this? It's a cemented in double
metal box so is pretty much immovable without destroying things
somewhat.

Make it up out of grid components. A three gang one with a blank in one of
them (or a neon). Will cost more, though.

Yes, this would seem to be the best solution.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2021 17:24, Steve Walker wrote:
On 16/02/2021 16:36, Chris Green wrote:
I have an old blanked off double socket box that I'd like to fit an
FCU into, is there any way to do this?Â* It's a cemented in double
metal box so is pretty much immovable without destroying things
somewhat.

MK Grid Switch range?

https://tinyurl.com/14qcx2v8

No mention of an FCU module in that link and some of the
inserts say "requires a 25mm backbox".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2021 14:52, Andrew wrote:
On 16/02/2021 17:24, Steve Walker wrote:
On 16/02/2021 16:36, Chris Green wrote:
I have an old blanked off double socket box that I'd like to fit an
FCU into, is there any way to do this?Â* It's a cemented in double
metal box so is pretty much immovable without destroying things
somewhat.

MK Grid Switch range?

https://tinyurl.com/14qcx2v8

No mention of an FCU module in that link and some of the
inserts say "requires a 25mm backbox".

As Adam indicated, you buy separate modules for fuse, cord outlet and
switch. All available in the MK range.

I can't recall meeting a /socket/ back box less than 25mm.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2021 14:52, Andrew wrote:
On 16/02/2021 17:24, Steve Walker wrote:
On 16/02/2021 16:36, Chris Green wrote:
I have an old blanked off double socket box that I'd like to fit an
FCU into, is there any way to do this?Â* It's a cemented in double
metal box so is pretty much immovable without destroying things
somewhat.

MK Grid Switch range?

https://tinyurl.com/14qcx2v8

No mention of an FCU module in that link and some of the
inserts say "requires a 25mm backbox".

They do a fuseholder and a flex outlet as individual modules - as well
as double pole switch and neon modules if you ever need those.

However, there is another option, you could use a normal FCU and a two
gang to one gang adapter plate.

https://tinyurl.com/ii46ccrl

That was the first one that I found. I am sure that there are others and
some may be cheaper.

Alternatively, for a better look, how about a flat, metal, blanking
plate, that you can cut a hole in, paint the colour of the wall and
screw an FCU to?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/varilight...et-black/25953

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
As Adam indicated, you buy separate modules for fuse, cord outlet and
switch. All available in the MK range.

Lots of others do grid switches too. The trick will be to get it to match
other wiring accessories in the room. If that matters.

--
*I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
As Adam indicated, you buy separate modules for fuse, cord outlet and
switch. All available in the MK range.

Lots of others do grid switches too. The trick will be to get it to match
other wiring accessories in the room. If that matters.

Nothing to match, it's a toilet cubicle.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2021 08:55, Chris Green wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
As Adam indicated, you buy separate modules for fuse, cord outlet and
switch. All available in the MK range.

Lots of others do grid switches too. The trick will be to get it to match
other wiring accessories in the room. If that matters.

Nothing to match, it's a toilet cubicle.

Is this to do with the towel rail? Is it a toilet cubicle or a bathroom?
If it has just a toilet and washbasin and no bath or shower, you can use
what you want - even a plug and 2-gang socket which would give you
switching, disconnection and fusing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
On 18/02/2021 08:55, Chris Green wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
As Adam indicated, you buy separate modules for fuse, cord outlet and
switch. All available in the MK range.

Lots of others do grid switches too. The trick will be to get it to match
other wiring accessories in the room. If that matters.

Nothing to match, it's a toilet cubicle.

Is this to do with the towel rail? Is it a toilet cubicle or a bathroom?
If it has just a toilet and washbasin and no bath or shower, you can use
what you want - even a plug and 2-gang socket which would give you
switching, disconnection and fusing.

There's not even a washbasin, as I said that's just outside.

Yes, I know that as regards wiring regulations, I can do just about
whatever I like but I'd to make things 'bathroom level' as regards
safety. The double box is quite low down and close to the bowl so I
think it would not be a good idea to have 'user accessible' sockets or
switches there. An unswitched FCU and a cable outlet feels OK.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2021 12:40, Chris Green wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
On 18/02/2021 08:55, Chris Green wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
[...]

Your decision, but you are not going to have any people barefooted, with
wet feet and hands in a toilet cubicle and they are not going to be
plugging and unplugging it anyway. The risks are far, far lower than a
kitchen - where you do have sockets, people are plugging things in and
out, they they may have wet hands (and even be stood barefoot on a damp
floor if they've been careless at the sink) and they may even drop an
electrical item in the sink! We don't however (generally) put appliances
on FCUs there, we just plug them in.

Even in a bathroom, you are permitted sockets - as long as they are at
least 3m away from the bath or shower.

As you want to re-use a double box, then a plug and double socket is the
easiest way, with Grid units being another option.

Replacing cooker hood - OK to use existing FCU and 13A socket? Steve UK diy 4 May 15th 09 01:24 PM
Double Switched FCU mal_k100 UK diy 5 August 30th 07 09:49 PM
single FCU for double socket? Darren Cooper UK diy 2 April 18th 06 12:16 PM
Replace FCU with double socket [email protected] UK diy 1 March 18th 05 09:28 PM
Dual double pole FCU switches Ian UK diy 5 September 8th 03 04:45 PM