Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default OT: Fire on Dartmoor

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56037220

I'm really surprised that Dartmoor has caught fire, given the amount of
rain we've had and the cold weather. What is burning?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2021 09:56, GB wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56037220

I'm really surprised that Dartmoor has caught fire, given the amount of
rain we've had and the cold weather. What is burning?

Winter moorland fires are not uncommon. Very cold weather dries the
foliage out just as much as very hot weather. In this case, it is in a
very remote area and moving towards a river valley, where it is expected
to burn itself out.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2021 09:56, GB wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56037220

I'm really surprised that Dartmoor has caught fire, given the amount of
rain we've had and the cold weather. What is burning?

much the same stuff as burning in the recent fires in Scotland
(Benbecula et al)

https://www.firescotland.gov.uk/news-campaigns/news/2021/02/wildfire-warning-in-place-across-west-coast-until-friday-12-february.aspx

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2021 09:56, GB wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56037220

I'm really surprised that Dartmoor has caught fire, given the amount of
rain we've had and the cold weather. What is burning?

one assumes peat.

I share your perplexity

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 09:56:23 +0000, GB wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56037220

I'm really surprised that Dartmoor has caught fire, given the amount of
rain we've had and the cold weather. What is burning?

I thought that was a smokeless zone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

More to the point is, what started it? Not seen many lightning storms, so
maybe a human was involved?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"nightjar" wrote in message
On 12/02/2021 09:56, GB wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56037220

I'm really surprised that Dartmoor has caught fire, given the amount of
rain we've had and the cold weather. What is burning?

Winter moorland fires are not uncommon. Very cold weather dries the
foliage out just as much as very hot weather. In this case, it is in a
very remote area and moving towards a river valley, where it is expected
to burn itself out.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes but in such cases great care is taken to be sure that it cannot re
ignite before the burners leave the area. Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 10:37:09 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 12/02/2021 09:56, GB wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56037220

I'm really surprised that Dartmoor has caught fire, given the amount of
rain we've had and the cold weather. What is burning?

one assumes peat.

I share your perplexity

More likely gorse. It can burn fast and fiercely when it gets going,
and there's been a strong easterly wind these last few days, to fan
it. But what started it is the question. It's in a fairly remote area,
so less likely to be deliberate vandalism. Perhaps a controlled burn
that got out of hand. Controlled burning, known as swaling, is
permitted during the winter months, to burn off old dead vegetation
and encourage new growth. It's traditional and been done for centuries
over all the moors of Devon and Cornwall.
https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/living-a...arming/swaling

--

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2021 09:04, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
More to the point is, what started it? ...

Currently under investigation.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2021 09:07, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes but in such cases great care is taken to be sure that it cannot re
ignite before the burners leave the area. Brian

Not considered a problem, as it only involved the surface vegetation.
The ground underneath was too wet for any peat to catch fire.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

More to the point is, what started it? Not seen many lightning storms,

You don’t need many, just the one can be enough.

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 12/02/2021 09:56, GB wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56037220

I'm really surprised that Dartmoor has caught fire, given the amount of
rain we've had and the cold weather. What is burning?

Winter moorland fires are not uncommon. Very cold weather dries the
foliage out just as much as very hot weather. In this case, it is in a
very remote area and moving towards a river valley, where it is expected
to burn itself out.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Yes but in such cases great care is taken to be sure that it cannot re
ignite before the burners leave the area.

That isnt always possible with weather changes.