Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Just found a nice book from 1970,....very interesting...

"Ecological Crisis: Readings For Survival", edited by
Glen A. Love & Rhoda M. Love, 1970, Harcourt, Brace, Jovanovich
[Contents]
Prophecy, ............................ page 1
Eco-Catastrophe, by Paul Ehrlich, page 3
--------------------------
The Web of Life, ......................... page 17
Ecology: The Relentless Science,
by Robert Rienow & Leona Rienow, page 19
The Human Ecosystem, by Marston Bates, page 35
Toxic Substances & Ecological Cycles,
by G.M. Woodwell,...............................page 47
--------------------------------
Population Explosion, ..................................page 59
The World Population Problem, by Julian Huxley, p. 61
Population Policy: Will Current Programs Succeed?,
by Kingsley Davis,......................................page 83
The Tragedy of the Commons, by Garrett Hardin, p. 107
------------------------------
The Air, The Waters, and The Land......page 123
The Fog, by Berton Roueche,....................page 125
The National Pollution Scandal, by Gaylord Nelson, p. 141
The Mississippi Fish Kill, by Frank Graham, Jr., p. 153
A Song of San Francisco Bay, by Malvina Reynolds, p. 173
Alaska -- The Ecology of Oil, by Barry Weisberg, p. 187
The Infernal Smog Machine, by Frank Graham, Jr., p. 205
The Myth of the Peaceful Atom, by Curtis & Hogan, p. 219
----------------------------------
In Wildness Is the Preservation of the World, p. 239
Wilderness as a Tonic, by Joseph Wood Krutch, p. 241
The Outlying Rocks, by Peter Matthiessen, p. 249
A Wild River That Knew Boone Awaits its Fate,
by Harry M. Caudill,.............................p. 263
------------------------------------
Some Philosophies for Survival...............p. 271
To Survive on the Earth, by Barry Commoner, p. 273
The Other Road, by Rachel Carson,.........p. 283
Office of Conservation, by William O. Douglas, p. 301
The Economics of the Coming Spaceship Earth,
by Kenneth E. Boulding, .........................p. 307
The Politics of Population/Second Edition,
by Aldous Huxley,.................................p. 321
---------------------------------
References and Notes.................p. 332
Bibliography.......................p. 340
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2021 00:08, Owain Lastname wrote:
On Thursday, 11 February 2021 at 23:06:02 UTC, David P wrote:
[snipped]

I quite like the "modernise your home with asbestos" type books.

And "electrical things you can make at home for boys"

Owain

DIY eye surgery with a Mamod steam engine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I used to have (and wish I still did) a Boys' Annual which contained, among
many other useful articles, a complete guide to home taxidermy with
illustrated instructions on how to stuff your deceased pet budgie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
I used to have (and wish I still did) a Boys' Annual which contained,

among
many other useful articles, a complete guide to home taxidermy with
illustrated instructions on how to stuff your deceased pet budgie.

There was a wonderful one act play "As good as New", where a young lady's
boy friend dropped dead. "Never mind dear" said her mother "Grandpa will
make him a s good as new.". Grandpa did taxidermy,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 22:53:07 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

My father had two bound volumes of the issues: in those days you sent
the magazines back to the publisher who bound them properly so you
couldn't tell that they had been individual issues.

I did that with Wireless World, for years.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-sear...chanic/sortby/
3/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:

...in those days you sent the magazines back
to the publisher who bound them properly so you couldn't tell that they
had been individual issues.

That practice continued for a long time: I have a bound volume of Gramophone
magazine from the mid-seventies which was produced in exactly the same way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do you recall Knowledge, which you bound yourself on a special binder. They
were very good value. The only problem of course was you occasionally found
missing issues and incorrect indexing when you tried to bind them. I learned
a lot as a child from those, including how to build a nuclear pile and why a
moderator was needed etc, Had a bit of trouble getting the right kind of
Uranium though.
grin.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bert Coules" wrote in message
o.uk...
Max Demian wrote:

...in those days you sent the magazines back
to the publisher who bound them properly so you couldn't tell that they
had been individual issues.

That practice continued for a long time: I have a bound volume of
Gramophone magazine from the mid-seventies which was produced in exactly
the same way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2021 07:46, Bert Coules wrote:
Max Demian wrote:

...in those days you sent the magazines back
to the publisher who bound them properly so you couldn't tell that
they had been individual issues.

That practice continued for a long time: I have a bound volume of
Gramophone magazine from the mid-seventies which was produced in exactly
the same way.

Was it expensive? Usually you sent away for a "binder" that the
magazines fell out of.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2021 08:58, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Do you recall Knowledge, which you bound yourself on a special binder. They
were very good value. The only problem of course was you occasionally found
missing issues and incorrect indexing when you tried to bind them. I learned
a lot as a child from those, including how to build a nuclear pile and why a
moderator was needed etc, Had a bit of trouble getting the right kind of
Uranium though.

I thought Knowledge was too intellectual and full of boring history, so
I went for Discovering Science. I suppose I kind of thought that if I
had a comprehensive book I wouldn't need actually to learn anything.
Unfortunately the indexing was inadequate (i.e. non-existent), and they
continued to produce them past the number of volumes they originally
planned for so I cancelled the subscription.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 08:58:58 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Do you recall Knowledge, which you bound yourself on a special binder.
They were very good value. The only problem of course was you
occasionally found missing issues and incorrect indexing when you tried
to bind them. I learned a lot as a child from those, including how to
build a nuclear pile and why a moderator was needed etc, Had a bit of
trouble getting the right kind of Uranium though.
grin. Brian

My parents got me that. Bright green binders.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2021 11:47, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 08:58:58 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Do you recall Knowledge, which you bound yourself on a special binder.
They were very good value. The only problem of course was you
occasionally found missing issues and incorrect indexing when you tried
to bind them. I learned a lot as a child from those, including how to
build a nuclear pile and why a moderator was needed etc, Had a bit of
trouble getting the right kind of Uranium though.
grin. Brian

My parents got me that. Bright green binders.

No, that was "Understanding Science". "Knowledge" had dark blue
binders with a Pharoah's Mummy on the cover.