Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

Default Modifying a Canon XL1 Video Camera

I have an XL1 video camera I purchased for a company project in 2000 and
it was never used, in fact it is still in pristine condition, having only
a couple of hours use since new. It is not worth very much now, but it is
a super SD camera that uses MiniDVD tapes. I am thinking about converting
it to record on solid state media. This would require removing the tape
drive and replacing it with a mini recorder. At the moment I am just
thinking about the practicality of the modification. The other anomaly is
the useful digital output from the 'Firewire IEEE 1394' socket, there are
very few adapters or connecting devices around now for this obsolete
format, although it was a premium digital connection solution in it's day.

Has anybody any thoughts on such a project..?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jon wrote:

I have an XL1 video camera I purchased for a company project in 2000 and
it was never used, in fact it is still in pristine condition, having only
a couple of hours use since new. It is not worth very much now, but it is
a super SD camera that uses MiniDVD tapes. I am thinking about converting
it to record on solid state media. This would require removing the tape
drive and replacing it with a mini recorder.

How do you propose to do that? Is there S-Video or something inside that
can be tapped off?

At the moment I am just thinking about the practicality of the
modification. The other anomaly is the useful digital output from the
'Firewire IEEE 1394' socket, there are very few adapters or connecting
devices around now for this obsolete format, although it was a premium
digital connection solution in it's day.

Firewire doesn't play nicely over USB, but there are PCIe cards and
Thunderbolt adapters (well, the Apple one, although it needs another adapter
to Thunderbolt 3 for most modern laptops - somewhat pricey). Keep the
existing tape and use Firewire to offload video?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2021 13:41, jon wrote:

I have an XL1 video camera I purchased for a company project in 2000 and
it was never used, in fact it is still in pristine condition, having only
a couple of hours use since new. It is not worth very much now, but it is
a super SD camera that uses MiniDVD tapes. I am thinking about converting
it to record on solid state media. This would require removing the tape
drive and replacing it with a mini recorder. At the moment I am just
thinking about the practicality of the modification. The other anomaly is
the useful digital output from the 'Firewire IEEE 1394' socket, there are
very few adapters or connecting devices around now for this obsolete
format, although it was a premium digital connection solution in it's day.

Has anybody any thoughts on such a project..?

Heroic. It will look impressive, but I doubt if it will match the
performance of an entry level domestic camera.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 14:01:57 +0000, Theo wrote:

jon wrote:

[...]

I can't use PCI cards, my two NUC computers have thundebolt three
connections and none of my laptops have firewire.....I have not seen a
direct 1394 to Thunderbolt three adapter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 14:19:49 +0000, newshound wrote:

On 10/02/2021 13:41, jon wrote:

[...]

It was a good camera in its day, but only SD of course.....the film '28
Days Later' was filmed with XL1 cameras.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2021 13:41, jon wrote:

I have an XL1 video camera I purchased for a company project in 2000 and
it was never used, in fact it is still in pristine condition, having only
a couple of hours use since new. It is not worth very much now, but it is
a super SD camera that uses MiniDVD tapes. I am thinking about converting
it to record on solid state media. This would require removing the tape
drive and replacing it with a mini recorder. At the moment I am just
thinking about the practicality of the modification. The other anomaly is
the useful digital output from the 'Firewire IEEE 1394' socket, there are
very few adapters or connecting devices around now for this obsolete
format, although it was a premium digital connection solution in it's day.

Easy enough to get PCI firewire cards still. Some of the better cameras
could also be used as real time digitizers - feeding video in on
composite or s-video, and outputting to the firewire.

Has anybody any thoughts on such a project..?

You will no doubt be able to tap off a RGB or composite feed from the
camera somewhere, so could add a digitizers to that (ignoring the
internal one). The tricky bit might be getting iot to perform properly
as a camera without a running tape - depending on what of any interlocks
are present.

You might even be able to interface the camera sensor to the camera
input on a raspberry Pi, which includes most of the other hardware you
would need.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2021 13:41, jon wrote:

[...]

Most pro video cameras have an easy way of providing an external video
feed. Others - not just the cameraman - need to see the pictures.

It is also interlaced video, which may not look so good these days.

It's not something that was (much) used for pro broadcast even in those
days. Although maybe for a situation where it had to be small and
disposable. ;-) Or maybe for news, etc.

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 13:41:47 -0000 (UTC), jon wrote:

I have an XL1 video camera I purchased for a company project in 2000 and
it was never used, in fact it is still in pristine condition, having only
a couple of hours use since new. It is not worth very much now, but it is
a super SD camera that uses MiniDVD tapes. I am thinking about converting
it to record on solid state media. This would require removing the tape
drive and replacing it with a mini recorder. At the moment I am just
thinking about the practicality of the modification. The other anomaly is
the useful digital output from the 'Firewire IEEE 1394' socket, there are
very few adapters or connecting devices around now for this obsolete
format, although it was a premium digital connection solution in it's day.

Has anybody any thoughts on such a project..?

I think it could be great fun as a project and the more
Heath-Robinson/Steampunk the better IMO.

OTOH people are asking good money for one of those cameras on eBay:
enough to pay for a new, decent-ish 4K job.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 16:03:16 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 10/02/2021 13:41, jon wrote:

[...]

There are outputs for RGB and s-video, but I wanted to utilise the digital
output. It would be straight forward if could obtain a mini real time
recorder with a firewire input.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2021 13:41, jon wrote:

[...]

A 3CCD camera, awesome in it's day. It's resolution would have been
dreadful in comparison to film or HD.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2021 13:41, jon wrote:

[...]

The wiki article claims a 30p picture mode.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...non_XL-1/XL-1s

It's not something that was (much) used for pro broadcast even in those
days. Although maybe for a situation where it had to be small and
disposable. ;-) Or maybe for news, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2021 13:41, jon wrote:

[...]

Something like:

https://www.expandore.com/product/ad...R_Recorder.htm

(you may not like the price!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2021 13:41, jon wrote:

[...]

There is this device:
Pinnacle Studio MovieBox Video Input Adapter 510

But it's not cheap.

Best alternative is a Firewire PCI card for a desktop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2021 17:50, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Well one assumes its analogue most of the way is it?
I think you hit the nail squarely with the out of date formats its probably
generating. Might be worth more as a kind of relic?
Brian

To my knowledge this records video onto Mini DV tapes which are a
digital format.

You can still get the tapes at £5-6 each for 60 minutes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2021 13:41, jon wrote:

I have an XL1 video camera I purchased for a company project in 2000 and
it was never used, in fact it is still in pristine condition, having only
a couple of hours use since new. It is not worth very much now, but it is
a super SD camera that uses MiniDVD tapes.

I wouldnt underestimate its value !
eBay suggests £100 and yours is as new !
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-XL1...AOSw~KNgAx8 6

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2021 18:03, Fredxx wrote:
On 10/02/2021 17:50, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Well one assumes its analogue most of the way is it?
Â* I think you hit the nail squarely with the out of date formats its
probably
generating. Might be worth more as a kind of relic?
Â* Brian

To my knowledge this records video onto Mini DV tapes which are a
digital format.

Isn't that the point? It is *a* digital format, but how much crunching
will that need to get it to a modern format?

Personally, I'd stick it on eBay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2021 22:03, newshound wrote:
On 10/02/2021 18:03, Fredxx wrote:
On 10/02/2021 17:50, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Well one assumes its analogue most of the way is it?
Â* I think you hit the nail squarely with the out of date formats its
probably
generating. Might be worth more as a kind of relic?
Â* Brian

To my knowledge this records video onto Mini DV tapes which are a
digital format.

Isn't that the point? It is *a* digital format, but how much crunching
will that need to get it to a modern format?

Personally, I'd stick it on eBay.

It will be uncompressed video. Compressing it is trivial with the
various offering incorporating ffmpeg, even through VLC.

The camera may work very well in low light conditions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On 10/02/2021 13:41, jon wrote:

[...]

Looks promising though..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2021 23:41, Fredxx wrote:
On 10/02/2021 22:03, newshound wrote:
On 10/02/2021 18:03, Fredxx wrote:
On 10/02/2021 17:50, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Well one assumes its analogue most of the way is it?
Â* I think you hit the nail squarely with the out of date formats its
probably
generating. Might be worth more as a kind of relic?
Â* Brian

To my knowledge this records video onto Mini DV tapes which are a
digital format.

Isn't that the point? It is *a* digital format, but how much crunching
will that need to get it to a modern format?

Personally, I'd stick it on eBay.

It will be uncompressed video.

You say that as if it was a unique thing. The three CCD outputs will go
into some sort of circuitry for merging but who knows what comes out of
that. Almost certainly something both proprietary and obsolete. No doubt
it would be possible to decode it and convert it to something useable,
but I still don't think it would be easy.

Compressing it is trivial with the
various offering incorporating ffmpeg, even through VLC.

The camera may work very well in low light conditions.

Not strictly my field, but given the rate at which sensitivities have
improved, I'd be astonished if a 20 year old CCD would outperform a
modern CMOS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 20:55, newshound wrote:
[...]

In the day that was made there wasn't much in the way of video
compression. There was a wavelet IC if I recall.

Compressing it is trivial with the
various offering incorporating ffmpeg, even through VLC.

The camera may work very well in low light conditions.

Not strictly my field, but given the rate at which sensitivities have
improved, I'd be astonished if a 20 year old CCD would outperform a
modern CMOS.

First there are 3 CCDs, where pretty much all of the light is captured
and used. Modern CMOS chips with a Bayer filter immediately by design at
are best 50% efficient. CMOS image sensors have smaller pixels with less
active area that is photo sensitive.

Low pixel count (SD) CCD technology is lower noise than CMOS:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowl...ifference.html

CCD noise is SQRT(number of electrons in a bucket) vs CMOS KTC (popcorn
or 1/f) noise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_noise#Detectors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnso...n_cap acitors
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
First there are 3 CCDs, where pretty much all of the light is captured and
used. Modern CMOS chips with a Bayer filter immediately by design at are
best 50% efficient. CMOS image sensors have smaller pixels with less
active area that is photo sensitive.

Is 3 CCD (or 3 CMOS) less common nowadays that it used to be on broadcast
and professional cameras? You have the problem of maintaining registration
between the sensors, but as you say, the resolution and sensitivity/noise
will be better because the pixels can be larger for the same pixel spacing
because the pixels are co-located although on different sensors rather that
being side by side with a Bayer filter. Presumably registration corrections
can be made digitally without needing to physically move one sensor relative
to the others, as was necessary with tube cameras :-(

Low pixel count (SD) CCD technology is lower noise than CMOS:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowl...ifference.html

CCD noise is SQRT(number of electrons in a bucket) vs CMOS KTC (popcorn or
1/f) noise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_noise#Detectors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnso...n_cap acitors

I've been very impressed with the low noise on my Nikon D90 digital *still*
camera. I can see very little difference between pictures taken at 200 ASA
and those taken at 3200 ASA - except on areas of uniform colour. And that's
with a single CMOS sensor with Bayer filter. However it's not so good for
shooting movie clips because a) it's 24 rather than 25 fps, and b) the rows
are read out sequentially, giving rise to the notorious "rolling shutter"
effect which causes vertical edges of fast moving objects to appear to slope
as the object has moved between the top row and bottom rows of pixels being
read. I think also the sensor uses a fairly low resolution which is upscaled
to the 1280x720 of the recorded files, instead of using the full resolution
of (part of) the sensor, so one pixel on the sensor matches one pixel in the
video file.

Do CCDs have better or worse exposure latitude that CMOS? I've noticed a lot
of cheaper cameras used for filming fly-on-the-wall documentaries have
really obnoxious crushing of highlights - shiny spots on people's faces or
bright skies - which is much less noticeable with broadcast standard
cameras. And often it's only one or two of the three colours which max out,
so the bleached parts are cyan, yellow or magenta rather than pure white
which is more tolerable.

What technology do broadcast cameras generally use nowadays - CCD or CMOS?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 22:26, NY wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message

Snipped

colour. And that's with a single CMOS sensor with Bayer filter. However
it's not so good for shooting movie clips because a) it's 24 rather than
25 fps

That raises a question. TV has been 25 (or 30) FPS, while film was 24
FPS. Since since "film" has gone digital, what frame rate do they use?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 22:52, Steve Walker wrote:
On 11/02/2021 22:26, NY wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message

Snipped

colour. And that's with a single CMOS sensor with Bayer filter.
However it's not so good for shooting movie clips because a) it's 24
rather than 25 fps

That raises a question. TV has been 25 (or 30) FPS, while film was 24
FPS. Since since "film" has gone digital, what frame rate do they use?

I think film is still generally shot at 24Hz with some exceptions. It is
said to provide a cinematic feel/look.

Frame interpolation and motion estimation is pretty good if you want
alternative frame rates.

BICBW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
On 11/02/2021 22:26, NY wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message

Snipped

colour. And that's with a single CMOS sensor with Bayer filter. However
it's not so good for shooting movie clips because a) it's 24 rather than
25 fps

That raises a question. TV has been 25 (or 30) FPS, while film was 24
FPS. Since since "film" has gone digital, what frame rate do they use?

It depends. In this day and age you could shoot at a much higher rate and
decide the final format later? Some are made at as high as 120.

--
*If PROGRESS is for advancement, what does that make CONGRESS mean?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
On 11/02/2021 22:26, NY wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message

Snipped

colour. And that's with a single CMOS sensor with Bayer filter. However
it's not so good for shooting movie clips because a) it's 24 rather than
25 fps

That raises a question. TV has been 25 (or 30) FPS, while film was 24
FPS. Since since "film" has gone digital, what frame rate do they use?

It depends. In this day and age you could shoot at a much higher rate and
decide the final format later? Some are made at as high as 120.

That was my initial belief, but couldn't find any reference to a camera,
typically used in movies with a higher frame rate.

They certainly exist for specialised slowmo sequences, but don't seem to
be used mainstream. If you know differently I will happily bow to your
greater knowledge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
On 11/02/2021 22:26, NY wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message

Snipped

colour. And that's with a single CMOS sensor with Bayer filter. However
it's not so good for shooting movie clips because a) it's 24 rather than
25 fps

That raises a question. TV has been 25 (or 30) FPS, while film was 24
FPS. Since since "film" has gone digital, what frame rate do they use?

It depends. In this day and age you could shoot at a much higher rate and
decide the final format later? Some are made at as high as 120.

That was my initial belief, but couldn't find any reference to a camera,
typically used in movies with a higher frame rate.

They certainly exist for specialised slowmo sequences, but don't seem to
be used mainstream. If you know differently I will happily bow to your
greater knowledge.

Thing is, plenty like the jerky motion of 24 fps. Filmic. ;-)

--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *