DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT: Handwarmer Oddity (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/684749-ot-handwarmer-oddity.html)

Chris J Dixon February 3rd 21 05:09 PM

OT: Handwarmer Oddity

Over the past few weeks I have been discovering small packets
left on my front lawn or drive, at a rate of one or two a week.

At first I wondered if the contents might be something illicit,
but I later identified them as air-activated disposable hand
warmers, similar to these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_warmer#/media/File:Handwarmers.JPG

I can't think of any reason that the user(s) needs to dump them
in my garden, but there's nothing so queer as folk. I am on a
housing estate, with no particular characteristics that offer an
explanation.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Murmansk February 3rd 21 05:15 PM

OT: Handwarmer Oddity

Could they have been dropped there by birds?

pamela February 3rd 21 05:32 PM

OT: Handwarmer Oddity

On 17:09 3 Feb 2021, Chris J Dixon said:

Over the past few weeks I have been discovering small packets left
on my front lawn or drive, at a rate of one or two a week.

At first I wondered if the contents might be something illicit,
but I later identified them as air-activated disposable hand
warmers, similar to these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_warmer#/media/File:
Handwarmers.JPG

Are you in Nottingham as your sig below says or America as the coin
shows? Just wondering!

David February 3rd 21 05:58 PM

OT: Handwarmer Oddity

On Wed, 03 Feb 2021 17:09:30 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Over the past few weeks I have been discovering small packets left on my
front lawn or drive, at a rate of one or two a week.

At first I wondered if the contents might be something illicit,
but I later identified them as air-activated disposable hand warmers,
similar to these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_warmer#/media/File:Handwarmers.JPG

I can't think of any reason that the user(s) needs to dump them in my
garden, but there's nothing so queer as folk. I am on a housing estate,
with no particular characteristics that offer an explanation.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

Chris

Point on the postie's regular round where the hand warmer runs out?

Cheers

Dave R

Andrew[_22_] February 3rd 21 07:36 PM

OT: Handwarmer Oddity

On 03/02/2021 17:58, David wrote:
On Wed, 03 Feb 2021 17:09:30 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Over the past few weeks I have been discovering small packets left on my
front lawn or drive, at a rate of one or two a week.

At first I wondered if the contents might be something illicit,
but I later identified them as air-activated disposable hand warmers,
similar to these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_warmer#/media/File:Handwarmers.JPG

I can't think of any reason that the user(s) needs to dump them in my
garden, but there's nothing so queer as folk. I am on a housing estate,
with no particular characteristics that offer an explanation.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

Chris

Point on the postie's regular round where the hand warmer runs out?

Cheers

Dave R

I was wondering that. Makes a change from elastic bands dumped every
where.

Michael Chare February 4th 21 12:55 AM

OT: Handwarmer Oddity

On 03/02/2021 19:36, Andrew wrote:
[...]

But we know where the rubber bands come from. I buy hand warmers for my
wife to keep in her gloves when we go skiing.

--
Michael Chare

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) February 4th 21 09:09 AM

OT: Handwarmer Oddity

Those are postmen. but really how hard is it to carry the thing to the next
bin. I feel under the current rules, more bins are needed since there are so
many disposable items used that can get very difficult to store on a longish
walk.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Richard[_27_] February 5th 21 06:43 AM

OT: Handwarmer Oddity

On 04/02/2021 09:09, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Those are postmen. but really how hard is it to carry the thing to the next
bin. I feel under the current rules, more bins are needed since there are so
many disposable items used that can get very difficult to store on a longish
walk.
Brian

Rubbish. If you can take it out with you, you can take it home.

Tim Lamb[_2_] February 5th 21 09:26 AM

OT: Handwarmer Oddity

In message , Richard
writes
On 04/02/2021 09:09, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Those are postmen. but really how hard is it to carry the thing to the next
bin. I feel under the current rules, more bins are needed since there are so
many disposable items used that can get very difficult to store on a longish
walk.
Brian

Rubbish. If you can take it out with you, you can take it home.

Indeed. Only a slight mental adjustment for consumables purchased on
route. You bought it which makes disposal your responsibility and not
that of the supplier.
Sadly, a subsection of our population have a firm belief that taxation
(to which they may or may not contribute) funds street cleaning. Why
they extend that belief to rural footpaths is unknown.

--
Tim Lamb

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] February 5th 21 11:04 AM

OT: Handwarmer Oddity

Brian Gaff (Sofa) submitted this idea :
Those are postmen. but really how hard is it to carry the thing to the next
bin. I feel under the current rules, more bins are needed since there are so
many disposable items used that can get very difficult to store on a longish
walk.

I fail to understand that point - you begin your trip with 'stuff', why
can you not end your trip with a similar amount of 'stuff'. If they are
wrappers and you consume the contents, the wrapper is much smaller and
lighter surely?

Harry Bloomfield, Esq.[_2_] February 5th 21 11:35 AM

OT: Handwarmer Oddity

It happens that Tim Lamb formulated :
Indeed. Only a slight mental adjustment for consumables purchased on route.
You bought it which makes disposal your responsibility and not that of the
supplier.
Sadly, a subsection of our population have a firm belief that taxation (to
which they may or may not contribute) funds street cleaning. Why they extend
that belief to rural footpaths is unknown.

...and the lay-bye, where they eat their Big Mac, then chuck the
remnants out the window for someone else to clear up after them.