DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Could this *really* be used in a bathroom? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/684702-could-%2Areally%2A-used-bathroom.html)

Chris Green February 1st 21 02:10 PM

Could this *really* be used in a bathroom?

I've been looking for a simple heated towel rail for a toilet and came
across this at CPC:-

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel...ail/dp/HG00931

It *says* ".... towel radiator ensures your bathroom feels comfortable
when .... " but it has a 3-pin plug and is IPX1 rated.

I'm not sure I'm even very happy with putting it in a toilet though
hard wired to an FCU I suppose it might be OK.

What does the team think?

--
Chris Green
·

Algernon Goss-Custard February 1st 21 02:59 PM

Could this *really* be used in a bathroom?

Chris Green posted
I've been looking for a simple heated towel rail for a toilet and came
across this at CPC:-

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel...ail/dp/HG00931

It *says* ".... towel radiator ensures your bathroom feels comfortable
when .... " but it has a 3-pin plug and is IPX1 rated.

I'm not sure I'm even very happy with putting it in a toilet though
hard wired to an FCU I suppose it might be OK.

What does the team think?

I doubt if there any safety concerns if you use a fused spur, but the
65W power output doesn't really support its claims of "fast heating".
It's about the same as a not very bright light bulb.

--
Algernon

Tricky Dicky[_4_] February 1st 21 03:06 PM

On Monday, 1 February 2021 at 14:18:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I've been looking for a simple heated towel rail for a toilet and came
across this at CPC:-

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel...ail/dp/HG00931

It *says* ".... towel radiator ensures your bathroom feels comfortable
when .... " but it has a 3-pin plug and is IPX1 rated.

I'm not sure I'm even very happy with putting it in a toilet though
hard wired to an FCU I suppose it might be OK.

What does the team think?

--
Chris Green
·

With that IP rating I doubt it will but aside from that if you are hoping something like that will heat your bathroom then forget it. At our last house we installed a tall ladder type radiator plumbed into the CH and its heat output was nothing compared to the smaller bog standard radiator in our present house.

Richard

Chris Green February 1st 21 03:36 PM

Tricky Dicky wrote:
On Monday, 1 February 2021 at 14:18:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I've been looking for a simple heated towel rail for a toilet and came
across this at CPC:-

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel...ail/dp/HG00931

It *says* ".... towel radiator ensures your bathroom feels comfortable
when .... " but it has a 3-pin plug and is IPX1 rated.

I'm not sure I'm even very happy with putting it in a toilet though
hard wired to an FCU I suppose it might be OK.

What does the team think?

With that IP rating I doubt it will but aside from that if you are hoping
something like that will heat your bathroom then forget it. At our last
house we installed a tall ladder type radiator plumbed into the CH and
its heat output was nothing compared to the smaller bog standard radiator
in our present house.

Yes, 65 watts isn't much, we're not expecting it to make the (small)
room feel warm but it will dry the towels.

--
Chris Green
·

Dave Plowman (News) February 1st 21 04:00 PM

Could this *really* be used in a bathroom?

In article ,
Tricky Dicky wrote:
With that IP rating I doubt it will but aside from that if you are
hoping something like that will heat your bathroom then forget it. At
our last house we installed a tall ladder type radiator plumbed into the
CH and it‘s heat output was nothing compared to the smaller bog standard
radiator in our present house.

Quite. It's not easy to find the heat output into the room of a towel rail
with towels on it.

I did the same as you - and soon fitted an additional rad.

--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Jimmy Stewart ... February 1st 21 04:19 PM

On 01/02/2021 14:10, Chris Green wrote:
I've been looking for a simple heated towel rail for a toilet and came
across this at CPC:-

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel...ail/dp/HG00931

It *says* ".... towel radiator ensures your bathroom feels comfortable
when .... " but it has a 3-pin plug and is IPX1 rated.

I'm not sure I'm even very happy with putting it in a toilet though
hard wired to an FCU I suppose it might be OK.

What does the team think?

where are you going to plug it in? ...

Algernon Goss-Custard February 1st 21 05:45 PM

Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

You can get them up to at least 200W which would do a better job as a
towel heater, as we did. Doesn't warm the room much though.

--
Algernon

ARW February 1st 21 08:45 PM

Could this *really* be used in a bathroom?

On 01/02/2021 14:10, Chris Green wrote:
I've been looking for a simple heated towel rail for a toilet and came
across this at CPC:-

https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel...ail/dp/HG00931

It *says* ".... towel radiator ensures your bathroom feels comfortable
when .... " but it has a 3-pin plug and is IPX1 rated.

I'm not sure I'm even very happy with putting it in a toilet though
hard wired to an FCU I suppose it might be OK.

What does the team think?

I would not be happy fitting that in a bathroom even with the plug
chopped off and using a FCU.

Probably safe in a toilet if your aim is OK:-)

--
Adam

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) February 2nd 21 08:25 AM

Could this *really* be used in a bathroom?

Yes, in my view if you want to heat a bathroom you will need at least 750
watts.
This may well warm something placed over it, but little else unless
somebody has invented a super efficient heating device you might as well
stick a 100 watt bulb in a box.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Chris Green posted

Andrew[_22_] February 2nd 21 03:42 PM

Could this *really* be used in a bathroom?

On 01/02/2021 17:45, Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:
Chris Green posted
Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

They are called 'towel warmers' for a reason, that's all they do