Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fire Hoods for in-ceiling Atmos speakers

Just noticed these in the Richer Sounds Clearance sale.

I find it difficult to believe that this would provide
66 minutes of protection. The speaker itself will
contain wiring and other plastic components that will
be exposed the highest temperatures in a burning room
below so will contribute to the fire.

https://www.richersounds.com/clearan...4.html?instore
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

I find it difficult to believe that this would provide
66 minutes of protection.

https://www.richersounds.com/clearance-bargains/in-store/39/hoody-hoody4.html?instore

They seemed to manage 90 minutes of testing

https://www.mastdigital.co.uk/media/productattach//h/o/hoody_bs_en_1363_1.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2021 13:22, Andrew wrote:
Just noticed these in the Richer Sounds Clearance sale.

I find it difficult to believe that this would provide
66 minutes of protection. The speaker itself will
contain wiring and other plastic components that will
be exposed the highest temperatures in a burning room
below so will contribute to the fire.

https://www.richersounds.com/clearan...4.html?instore

nah they are fine....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2021 14:19, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
On 29/01/2021 13:22, Andrew wrote:
Just noticed these in the Richer Sounds Clearance sale.

I find it difficult to believe that this would provide
66 minutes of protection. The speaker itself will
contain wiring and other plastic components that will
be exposed the highest temperatures in a burning room
below so will contribute to the fire.

https://www.richersounds.com/clearan...4.html?instore

nah they are fine....

common practice above FR ceilings for lights etc ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cannot see it but to my mind once the room is alight enough to cause that
sort of need you are pretty stuffed anyway and should be in the street with
your mobile waiting for the fire engine.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andrew" wrote in message
Just noticed these in the Richer Sounds Clearance sale.

I find it difficult to believe that this would provide
66 minutes of protection. The speaker itself will
contain wiring and other plastic components that will
be exposed the highest temperatures in a burning room
below so will contribute to the fire.

https://www.richersounds.com/clearan...4.html?instore

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2021 15:46, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Cannot see it but to my mind once the room is alight enough to cause that
sort of need you are pretty stuffed anyway and should be in the street with
your mobile waiting for the fire engine.
Brian

but one hour FR gives the people on the floor above time to ext.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2021 14:34, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
On 29/01/2021 14:19, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
On 29/01/2021 13:22, Andrew wrote:
Just noticed these in the Richer Sounds Clearance sale.

I find it difficult to believe that this would provide
66 minutes of protection. The speaker itself will
contain wiring and other plastic components that will
be exposed the highest temperatures in a burning room
below so will contribute to the fire.

https://www.richersounds.com/clearan...4.html?instore

nah they are fine....

common practice above FR ceilings for lights etc ....

Speakers need a much bigger hole in the ceiling though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 16:00:17 +0000, Jimmy Stewart wrote:

On 29/01/2021 15:46, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Cannot see it but to my mind once the room is alight enough to cause
that sort of need you are pretty stuffed anyway and should be in the
street with your mobile waiting for the fire engine.
Brian

but one hour FR gives the people on the floor above time to ext.....

What people on the floor above ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2021 06:06, jon wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 16:00:17 +0000, Jimmy Stewart wrote:

On 29/01/2021 15:46, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Cannot see it but to my mind once the room is alight enough to cause
that sort of need you are pretty stuffed anyway and should be in the
street with your mobile waiting for the fire engine.
Brian

but one hour FR gives the people on the floor above time to ext.....

What people on the floor above ?

in general fire barriers and structural integrity are good enough at the
45 minute mark, which is how long the twin towers lasted. 45 minutes is
enough to get the people out - if they can be got out.

Fire policy is part containment, part fast evacuation routes. The idea
is to keep the fire contained until the people are out

So a ceiling fire barrier stops the joists catching fire above it. For a
while. If it's a concrete ceiling/floor above it, it is of course
pointless.

Most fire caps for lights and so on are ********
Half the time there are pipe runs and voids ready to carry fire up
building interiors - or in the case of certain tower blocks - the
outside as well

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message ...

Just noticed these in the Richer Sounds Clearance sale.

I find it difficult to believe that this would provide
66 minutes of protection. The speaker itself will
contain wiring and other plastic components that will
be exposed the highest temperatures in a burning room
below so will contribute to the fire.

https://www.richersounds.com/clearan...4.html?instore

Its the other way around.

It is intended to contain and stop a fire spreading in the void of a
suspended ceiling should the fire start in the speaker.

For PA systems they are usually called fire domes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2021 06:06, jon wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 16:00:17 +0000, Jimmy Stewart wrote:

On 29/01/2021 15:46, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Cannot see it but to my mind once the room is alight enough to cause
that sort of need you are pretty stuffed anyway and should be in the
street with your mobile waiting for the fire engine.
Brian

but one hour FR gives the people on the floor above time to ext.....

What people on the floor above ?

why have a FR ceiling then ? ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2021 18:22, Andrew wrote:
On 29/01/2021 14:34, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
On 29/01/2021 14:19, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
On 29/01/2021 13:22, Andrew wrote:
Just noticed these in the Richer Sounds Clearance sale.

I find it difficult to believe that this would provide
66 minutes of protection. The speaker itself will
contain wiring and other plastic components that will
be exposed the highest temperatures in a burning room
below so will contribute to the fire.

https://www.richersounds.com/clearan...4.html?instore

nah they are fine....

common practice above FR ceilings for lights etc ....

Speakers need a much bigger hole in the ceiling though.

how long is a piece of string then ? .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jan 2021 at 08:11:52 GMT, ""Jimmy Stewart ...""
wrote:

On 30/01/2021 06:06, jon wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 16:00:17 +0000, Jimmy Stewart wrote:

On 29/01/2021 15:46, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Cannot see it but to my mind once the room is alight enough to cause
that sort of need you are pretty stuffed anyway and should be in the
street with your mobile waiting for the fire engine.
Brian

but one hour FR gives the people on the floor above time to ext.....

What people on the floor above ?

why have a FR ceiling then ? ....

If it delays the roof timbers catching fire this may be useful.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 30/01/2021 06:06, jon wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 16:00:17 +0000, Jimmy Stewart wrote:

On 29/01/2021 15:46, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Cannot see it but to my mind once the room is alight enough to cause
that sort of need you are pretty stuffed anyway and should be in the
street with your mobile waiting for the fire engine.
Brian

but one hour FR gives the people on the floor above time to ext.....

What people on the floor above ?

why have a FR ceiling then ? ....

If it delays the roof timbers catching fire this may be useful.

roofs don't attract a requirement for fire resistance.....unless an
escape route is over them....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What about these?

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/seaside-victorian-cottage/22229639/s42-e11-design-elements

- about 2 minutes in. (Speakers that go fully inside the ceiling space
and are then plastered over).

No idea what the fire risk is in a fully timber-framed structure, or
what they would sound like. They don't mention the wattage, or the sound
quality.

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
It is intended to contain and stop a fire spreading in the void of a
suspended ceiling should the fire start in the speaker.

Crikey. I've seen a few fried speakers - but one which went on fire? ;-)

--
*Plagiarism saves time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew wrote:

I find it difficult to believe that this would provide
66 minutes of protection.

https://www.richersounds.com/clearance-bargains/in-store/39/hoody-hoody4.html?instore

They seemed to manage 90 minutes of testing

https://www.mastdigital.co.uk/media/productattach//h/o/hoody_bs_en_1363_1.pdf

If it prevents the sound from the speaker going elsewhere, it's going to
effect the sound it makes too.

The design of a speaker to go in a true infinite baffle like a ceiling is
likely to be very different from one designed to go in a small sealed box.

That's a beauty of ceiling mounting - a relatively inexpensive unit can
sound quite good.

Of course it's merely a comms speaker used for announcements etc it likely
doesn't matter much. But this specifically mentions domestic use.

--
*The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 30/01/2021 06:06, jon wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 16:00:17 +0000, Jimmy Stewart wrote:

On 29/01/2021 15:46, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Cannot see it but to my mind once the room is alight enough to cause
that sort of need you are pretty stuffed anyway and should be in the
street with your mobile waiting for the fire engine.
Brian

but one hour FR gives the people on the floor above time to ext.....

What people on the floor above ?

why have a FR ceiling then ? ....

If it delays the roof timbers catching fire this may be useful.

roofs don't attract a requirement for fire resistance.....unless an
escape route is over them....

There may be no requirement, but I'd generally prefer mine not to be on fire
given a choice.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 30/01/2021 06:06, jon wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 16:00:17 +0000, Jimmy Stewart wrote:

On 29/01/2021 15:46, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Cannot see it but to my mind once the room is alight enough to cause
that sort of need you are pretty stuffed anyway and should be in the
street with your mobile waiting for the fire engine.
Brian

but one hour FR gives the people on the floor above time to ext.....

What people on the floor above ?

why have a FR ceiling then ? ....

If it delays the roof timbers catching fire this may be useful.

roofs don't attract a requirement for fire resistance.....unless an
escape route is over them....

There may be no requirement, but I'd generally prefer mine not to be on fire
given a choice.

good for you...I like people who go further than the building regs
require....not many about
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2021 11:56, Roger Hayter wrote:
roofs don't attract a requirement for fire resistance.....unless an
escape route is over them....

There may be no requirement, but I'd generally prefer mine not to be on fire
given a choice.

I think that is a reasonable attitude. Do what you can to limit speed
and spread of fire as well as ensuring escape

depending on what is above the ceiling a box of plasterboard stuffed
with rockwool would give a nice bass as well as fire resistance. glue it
together with plaster or car body filler

But you will need access from above to make a good job...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

In article ,
David wrote:
It is intended to contain and stop a fire spreading in the void of a
suspended ceiling should the fire start in the speaker.

Crikey. I've seen a few fried speakers - but one which went on fire? ;-)

Its not the voice coil of the speaker that causes the problem, but on 100V
line systems it's usually the matching transformer that can go AWOL. And on
a large system, all that audio power can heat up the transformer fairly
quickly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2021 07:03, David wrote:

https://www.richersounds.com/clearan...4.html?instore

Its the other way around.

It is intended to contain and stop a fire spreading in the void of a
suspended ceiling

Yup

should the fire start in the speaker.

Fire spreading from anywhere below is more likely the reason for
installation.

Ceilings are normally a fire barrier protecting the room above, unless
someone pokes holes in them for speakers and downlighters.

An intumescent material (one that swells when heated to block up gaps)
is part of the blanket, which is also fire retardant.

For PA systems they are usually called fire domes.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew wrote:

I find it difficult to believe that this would provide
66 minutes of protection.

https://www.richersounds.com/clearance-bargains/in-store/39/hoody-hoody4.html?instore

They seemed to manage 90 minutes of testing

https://www.mastdigital.co.uk/media/productattach//h/o/hoody_bs_en_1363_1.pdf

If it prevents the sound from the speaker going elsewhere, it's going to
effect the sound it makes too.

The design of a speaker to go in a true infinite baffle like a ceiling is
likely to be very different from one designed to go in a small sealed box.

That's a beauty of ceiling mounting - a relatively inexpensive unit can
sound quite good.

Of course it's merely a comms speaker used for announcements etc it likely
doesn't matter much. But this specifically mentions domestic use.

(Dolby) Atmos speakers are intended to be part of an "object based"
surround sound system - so are usually "proper" hifi units rather than
your typical tannoy style ceiling mount or 100V line system speaker.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
It is intended to contain and stop a fire spreading in the void of a
suspended ceiling should the fire start in the speaker.

Crikey. I've seen a few fried speakers - but one which went on fire? ;-)

Its not the voice coil of the speaker that causes the problem, but on
100V line systems it's usually the matching transformer that can go
AWOL. And on a large system, all that audio power can heat up the
transformer fairly quickly.

I doubt many use 100v line domestically.

With older low voltage lighting, you could have load of transformers in a
ceiling void. And I can see one of those catching fire long before a 100v
line type.

--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *