Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replace front tyres in pairs?

In article , NY writes
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 27/01/2021 11:38, R D S wrote:
On 27/01/2021 11:30, Pancho wrote:
After my last puncture I saw a video on tyre plugs, DIY, rather
than the internal patch that I think some repair shops use.

Local place plug them, but this is too close to the sidewall.

Close to the sidewall can still legally be repaired, but it requires
hot vulcanisation, which most repair places can't offer.

Why is it that most tyres (in my experience) develop punctures close to
the edge of the tread (where they can't be repaired) rather than in the
middle of the tread (where they can be)?

Fort he same reason that every place you look for is always on the fold
of the map.
It's not that I've conveniently forgotten about "the majority" of
punctures which *can* be repaired. Of the various punctures that I've
had over the years, I'd say that about 3/4 have been unrepairable at
the edge of the tread.

That's leaving out punctures in the sidewall - like when an oncoming
tractor pulled onto his wrong side of the road (after previously being
stationary, which I interpreted as "he's seen me and is waiting for me
as he should") and forced me to swerve onto the verge, ripping the
sidewall of a tyre that had about 50 miles use on it: I was not best
pleased at that, and I didn't get his number to claim off him.

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 27/01/2021 11:17, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

It depends how obvious it is I suppose, I'd say that when I was very
young
and my father was alive some vehicles did not like different aged tyres
on
the front inducing weird vibrations in the steering at certain speeds.
Brian

That's usually because the front wheels haven't been balanced.

In my case it was a damaged tyre that held the
pressure fine but was visibly uneven when up on
the hoist. I had it in for a wheel alignment and
the mechanic showed me that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 09:17:26 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

On 27/01/2021 11:38, R D S wrote:
On 27/01/2021 11:30, Pancho wrote:
After my last puncture I saw a video on tyre plugs, DIY, rather than
the internal patch that I think some repair shops use.

Local place plug them, but this is too close to the sidewall.

Close to the sidewall can still legally be repaired, but it requires hot
vulcanisation, which most repair places can't offer.

ive got a vulcanising machine and do my own
the consequence of owning horse stables

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2021 21:20, bert wrote:
In article , "Brian Gaff (Sofa)"
writes
It depends how obvious it is I suppose, I'd say that when I was very
young
and my father was alive some vehicles did not like different aged
tyres on
the front inducing weird vibrations in the steering at certain speeds.
Brian

I had a weird experience with my Jeep Cherokee when I put 2 new tyres on
the front. It wouldn't drop out the diff lock. I had to drive slowly to
the dealer who then explained that the way out of it was to put one new
tyre on each axle - or buy 2 more new tyres.

its a well known issue with freelanders as well

new tyres have to go on either the front or the back - cant remember
which - or the viscous coupling burb out

Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2021 12:14, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 21:14:39 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

On 27/01/2021 20:19, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 10:29:44 +0000, R D S wrote:

I've a puncture on a front tyre, it's not in the legal repair area so
will need changing.

I can't decide whether to do both. that's the advice isn't it (from
tyre sellers )

What is a shame here is how many 'perfectly good' tyres end up getting
dumped when they needn't be.

Part worn tyres are worth money, they're rarely 'dumped'.

Not sure who'd buy them.

people on benefits with untaxed uninsured cars with no MOT

I wouldn't

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2021 20:19, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 10:29:44 +0000, R D S wrote:

I've a puncture on a front tyre, it's not in the legal repair area so
will need changing.

I can't decide whether to do both. that's the advice isn't it (from
tyre sellers )

What is a shame here is how many 'perfectly good' tyres end up getting
dumped when they needn't be.

Part worn tyres are worth money, they're rarely 'dumped'.

Not sure who'd buy them.

Quite, and the term 'dumped' wasn't literal (although I expected the
left brainer troll / stalker to try to take it so) as I'm aware that
tyres can be recycled into all sorts of other stuff (like play area
surfaces) but I was describing the action *we* do when we no longer
use what is essentially a perfectly good tyre ... if only people
understood what the options were for a perfectly functional repair,
saving a useable tyre from having to be converted into rubber and
steel / nylon fragments (for the left brainer stalker / troll). ;-(

One of the first post puncture instances I used Puntureseal for was
the Sierra estate. Mrs came to pick me up from the station, the kid
was in the front so I jumped in the back and quickly noticed the sound
of the antistatic strap rubbing on the road all the time, not just as
you stopped. I got the Mrs to pull over and noticed a rear tyre partly
deflated. I pumped it up, we were able to drive home on it (only
local) and I jacked it up, removed the valve core, applied the right
quantity of Puncturseal, span the tyre round a few times, cleaned the
valve out, replaced the core then pumped it up again. I took it for a
run around the block and that tyre was still on there and still
holding air, many years later when I finally scrapped the car. It's
been the same for many people and many tyres so far, inc on
motorbikes.

I wouldn't

And nor would I, other than when they have been bought new by us and
come off our own cars. ;-)

(When the Astra was written off by an artic when it was parked
overnight (outside the house, driver drove off ...), I spoke to the
disposal people who were going to collect it re the new battery and
new front tyres I'd just fitted. They said as long as their man could
start it and drive it on his transporter, he didn't care what was on
there. So I swapped stuff about and later daughter was able to use
them on her Corsa as they were the exact same size, make and model).
;-)

I guess if you don't understand how something works you can be
suckered into getting something that never will (snake oil) or be
inclined to ignore something as being 'too good to be true' when it
actually isn't.

I have way too many personal stories of where Puntureseal has done
*exactly* what I (and others) have hoped of / for it and more to
realise it's 'a good thing'.

I gave a mate half a bottle to do one of his bike tyres and it worked,
so he bought some more for himself and replaced mine with a new full
bottle. Except it wasn't the same stuff, it was made to look the same
but wasn't the same. I didn't realise that at the time.

Daughters b/f got a puncture in his rear motorcycle tyre and I used
this 'other' stuff to fix it for him. He wouldn't have been able to
ride it to a bike shop, the bike didn't have a main stand so he
couldn't take the wheel off and in himself and hence the 'treatment'.
Except it simply didn't work (fully), even after I had used more than
recommended. It worked just about well enough for him to ride it to
the bike shop and get a new tyre fitted (the old one was pretty low
anyway).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I had a bit of a run in with a mate recently, mostly down to his
(false / unreasonable?) expectations.

He had a puncture in the spare tyre of his wife's car so I offered to
treat it with Punctureseal for him, as a favour and as a demonstration
to him how good the stuff was. Expensive and quite new (premium) tyre,
small nail hole (nail still in it) but too near the edge of the tread
for a 'conventional' repair. He brought the car round, we applied the
Punctureseal to the spare and I suggested he actually fit the spare
and give it a run round, 1) to get it to fully disperse around the
inside of the tyre and 2) to better fix the leak and cure properly. He
did and then drove the 20 miles home and after a few weeks of
checking, hadn't lost a single PSI of pressure.

Now the stuff isn't 'cheap' but I gave it to him for the reasons
above. Then he gets a puncture in one of his own car tyres and asks
when he can come down for me to treat that 'one'?

I asked, 'given you saw how well it worked and one new tyre would be
more than the cost to treat all 4 with Punctureseal, why hadn't he
already done so' (and no, I need what I have left for us). ;-(

I guess you just can't help some people ... ;-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2021 21:14, Fredxx wrote:
On 27/01/2021 20:19, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 10:29:44 +0000, R D S wrote:

I've a puncture on a front tyre, it's not in the legal repair area so
will need changing.

I can't decide whether to do both. that's the advice isn't it (from tyre
sellers )

What is a shame here is how many 'perfectly good' tyres end up getting
dumped when they needn't be.

Part worn tyres are worth money, they're rarely 'dumped'.

I bought a nice Pirelli P-Zero from Italy to match what was on the
Mustang had about 5mm left
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2021 20:19, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 10:29:44 +0000, R D S wrote:

I've a puncture on a front tyre, it's not in the legal repair area so
will need changing.

I can't decide whether to do both. that's the advice isn't it (from tyre
sellers )

What is a shame here is how many 'perfectly good' tyres end up getting
dumped when they needn't be.

Part worn tyres are worth money, they're rarely 'dumped'.

I bought a nice Pirelli P-Zero from Italy to match what was on the
Mustang had about 5mm left

And with an irreparable puncture?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Fredxx
writes
On 27/01/2021 10:29, R D S wrote:
I've a puncture on a front tyre, it's not in the legal repair area so
will need changing.
I can't decide whether to do both. that's the advice isn't it (from
tyre sellers )
Or shall I take it somewhere shifty and have a tube put in?

One car I had had 4 alloys where the spare was a steel.

I found myself in a similar situation so I bought a new rim, well 2 in
fact from eBay.

Different angled wheel nuts between steel and alloy on Defenders.
I know you can't keep your spare on your car, but if you can store one
then you can either change in pairs, or in your current case, swap with
a good spare without discarding a part worn tyre.

--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2021 20:19, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 10:29:44 +0000, R D S wrote:

I've a puncture on a front tyre, it's not in the legal repair area so
will need changing.

I can't decide whether to do both. that's the advice isn't it (from
tyre sellers )

What is a shame here is how many 'perfectly good' tyres end up getting
dumped when they needn't be.

Part worn tyres are worth money, they're rarely 'dumped'.

Not sure who'd buy them.

Quite, and the term 'dumped' wasn't literal (although I expected the
left brainer troll / stalker to try to take it so)

The only troll here is the one with half a brain who steers many posts
to fanatical veganism.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 15:35:41 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 14:33:51 +0000, T i m wrote:

Quite, and the term 'dumped' wasn't literal (although I expected the
left brainer troll / stalker to try to take it so) as I'm aware that
tyres can be recycled into all sorts of other stuff (like play area
surfaces) but I was describing the action *we* do when we no longer use
what is essentially a perfectly good tyre ... if only people understood
what the options were for a perfectly functional repair, saving a
useable tyre from having to be converted into rubber and steel / nylon
fragments (for the left brainer stalker / troll). ;-(

Kenyans made "Thousand milers" out of old tyres. Pretty nifty hardwaring
sandals.

Yeah, I've seen those and you are right, they are. ;-)

Far too good quality for the UK market, of course.

I love watching the Youtube videos to see the approach of some of
these resourceful people, making something very functional out of what
most would consider just waste.

Reduce, Repair / Reuse, Recycle.

This is why I think it's a terrible (and often costly) shame that so
many perfectly good tyres are considered irreparable when more often
or not they are (and easily). ;-(

The problem with 'good' sealant is that's it's like those electronic
elephant deterrents ... [1]

Cheers, T i m

[1] I tracked / logged on the web ... a lady as she rode her motorbike
(solo) round the world. She used Punctureseal in all the new tyres she
fitted along the way and when she got back the rear was particularly
'bald' and showing the telltale marks of several punctures (little
coloured dots in the rubber where the sealant had come though as it
did it's job), punctures she got but never suffered from.

If an inner tube can 'repair' a punctured tyre (where suitable) ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 14:14:32 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 27/01/2021 13:40, R D S wrote:
On 27/01/2021 13:32, alan_m wrote:

On front wheel drive the recommendation is to have the better (tread)
tyres on the back.

Is it, i'd like to see the logic behind that.

Instinct would be to have the better ones where the braking and steering
happens.

Far better to have the front begin to let go, where you can ease off and
get it back under control, than to have the back end pass you and you
have no control.

Yup. Understeer is more controllable for most than oversteer.

It's the same reason that the rear brakes of home-built cars are tested
to ensure that they don't lock up before the front wheels on heavy
braking - production cars are designed from the outset for that.

Mine wasn't (but then it was a long time ago). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2021 17:47, Rod Speed wrote:

"nightjar" wrote in message

and I always buy the same tyre make and type.

I dont, I use what they have thats cheapest....

Tyres with a V speed rating usually come in two price ranges - expensive
and even more expensive.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 12:49:42 +0000, R D S wrote:

On 27/01/2021 12:31, David wrote:

Do you have a spare tyre?

No,
Just a can of gubbins which I assume is as old as the car, 8 years.

Given we're virtually under house (and work, a mere 1.5 mile away)
arrest for the foreseeable I wonder about chucking that in and see what
happens.

Well if you are considering doing that, what about chucking something
more likely to make a permanent repair in? ;-)

I think it's those 'get you home' pressurised cans that the tyre
fitters don't like as I'm not sure how easy it is to clean out, if the
tyre could be repaired conventionally.

If you actually wanted / needed to make a 'traditional' (and we know
how out-of-touch / date' some traditions are) repair, then
Punctureseal is water soluble (and non toxic) and so can simply be
washed out with a hose. [1]

https://bedfordmotorservices.com/pun...re-protection/
(No connection etc, just a long term user)

Cheers, T i m

[1] I took the rear tyre off the Mrs's XV750 that I had treated with
Punctureseal a good 15 years earlier and laid up for some time. Much
to my surprise the sealant was still stuck around the inside of the
tyre (tread area) and was still mobile (you could scrape it out with
your finger). Because I wasn't going to re-fit the tyre (too old) I
just washed the sealant out with a hose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" wrote in message

and I always buy the same tyre make and type.

I dont, I use what they have thats cheapest....

Tyres with a V speed rating usually come in two price ranges - expensive
and even more expensive.

Wait till you have to buy Y rated tyres.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar wrote
Rod Speed wrote
nightjar wrote

and I always buy the same tyre make and type.

I dont, I use what they have thats cheapest....

Tyres with a V speed rating usually come in two price ranges - expensive
and even more expensive.

None I buy are expensive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 10:44:01 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Website (from 2007) dedicated to the 86-year-old trolling senile
cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2021 17:06, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 12:49:42 +0000, R D S wrote:

On 27/01/2021 12:31, David wrote:

Do you have a spare tyre?

No,
Just a can of gubbins which I assume is as old as the car, 8 years.

Given we're virtually under house (and work, a mere 1.5 mile away)
arrest for the foreseeable I wonder about chucking that in and see what
happens.

Well if you are considering doing that, what about chucking something
more likely to make a permanent repair in? ;-)

I think it's those 'get you home' pressurised cans that the tyre
fitters don't like as I'm not sure how easy it is to clean out, if the
tyre could be repaired conventionally.

From what I've hears, nearly all are water based and can simply be
washed out, but fitters tend to use it as an excuse to sell a new tyre.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 27/01/2021 20:21, mm0fmf wrote:
On 27/01/2021 13:41, NY wrote:
Why is it that most tyres (in my experience) develop punctures close
to the edge of the tread (where they can't be repaired) rather than in
the middle of the tread (where they can be)?

I had two 255/35R19 Y tyres on the old carĀ* that had punctures in the
centre of the tread. Simple fixes. Then I a screw go in right on the
edge of the sidewall of the latest car when I had had it for only 4
days. Ruined a 255/40R18Y RF that had only 2250 miles on it. Not a cheap
replacement.

I get more punctures than average. I suppose it goes with working on
building sites.

How do screws always know how to go for the newest tyres?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 01:34:48 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

I think it's those 'get you home' pressurised cans that the tyre
fitters don't like as I'm not sure how easy it is to clean out, if the
tyre could be repaired conventionally.

From what I've hears, nearly all are water based and can simply be
washed out, but fitters tend to use it as an excuse to sell a new tyre.

I'm sure that's part of it as well and maybe more of the modern
get_you_home solutions are *now* water soluble etc? I know many used
latex and I understand that's not 'environmentally friendly' or water
soluble?

The thing I find strange is why people would even be in the position
to have to use one of the get_you_home cans when there is already
something that would deal with such things without all the fuss (and
have other benefits like sealing any porosity and possibly helping
with maintaining the flexibility of the rubber in the tyre).

This is especially so for people who need their vehicles to earn a
living, those with mobility issues or not in a position to change a
wheel themselves (or try to do so on the side of a busy road).

As mentioned, such solutions are sometimes offered to those often
least able to support themselves but I wonder how hard (given your
point above re them earning more money from attending a breakdown and
fitting a new tyre etc).

https://www.tgamobility.co.uk/access...rice-per-wheel

They even have a clever system for injecting the Punctureseal into the
tyre whilst it's fitted to the vehicle and fully inflated. ;-)

https://www.punctureseal.com/mobility-vehicles

Because the solution is quite thick and contains 'matter' that would
potentially block the valve if you tried to push it though it, you
attach the nozzle to the valve, unscrew the valve and withdraw it from
the stem, out of the way and into the 'head' of the filling tool,
apply the suitable dose of sealant and then re fit the valve. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2021 17:06, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 12:49:42 +0000, R D S wrote:

On 27/01/2021 12:31, David wrote:

Do you have a spare tyre?

No,
Just a can of gubbins which I assume is as old as the car, 8 years.

Given we're virtually under house (and work, a mere 1.5 mile away)
arrest for the foreseeable I wonder about chucking that in and see what
happens.

Well if you are considering doing that, what about chucking something
more likely to make a permanent repair in? ;-)

I think it's those 'get you home' pressurised cans that the tyre
fitters don't like as I'm not sure how easy it is to clean out, if the
tyre could be repaired conventionally.

From what I've hears, nearly all are water based and can simply be washed
out,

Mine certainly isnt. I managed to get one replacement
rim I got from the wreckers which had a very viable
tyre on it which I used as a spare. It eventually lost
pressure in the spare well and leaked into that and
is impossible to get out of there.

but fitters tend to use it as an excuse to sell a new tyre.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 04:23:16 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rodent:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2021 10:29, R D S wrote:
I've a puncture on a front tyre

And both front today!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2021 13:41, NY wrote:
Why is it that most tyres (in my experience) develop punctures close
to the edge of the tread (where they can't be repaired) rather than
in the middle of the tread (where they can be)?

I had two 255/35R19 Y tyres on the old carĀ* that had punctures in the
centre of the tread. Simple fixes. Then I a screw go in right on the
edge of the sidewall of the latest car when I had had it for only 4
days. Ruined a 255/40R18Y RF that had only 2250 miles on it. Not a
cheap replacement.

I get more punctures than average. I suppose it goes with working on
building sites.

How do screws always know how to go for the newest tyres?

They are sniffing out the mould release agent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2021 10:29, R D S wrote:
I've a puncture on a front tyre, it's not in the legal repair area so
will need changing.

I can't decide whether to do both. that's the advice isn't it (from tyre
sellers )

Or shall I take it somewhere shifty and have a tube put in?

Depends. I would change FWD car tyres in pairs. Keep the good one and
make a pair out of it and another tyre.

Some 4WD cars need all tyres changing at once as a significant wear
difference can speed up wear in the centre diff. When I had a Quattro, I
rotated the tyres front to back regularly to keep the wear even. Still
never got more than 15k miles out of a set of 255/35R19Y tyres.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2021 19:12, mm0fmf wrote:
On 27/01/2021 10:29, R D S wrote:
I've a puncture on a front tyre, it's not in the legal repair area so
will need changing.

I can't decide whether to do both. that's the advice isn't it (from
tyre sellers )

Or shall I take it somewhere shifty and have a tube put in?

Depends. I would change FWD car tyres in pairs. Keep the good one and
make a pair out of it and another tyre.

Some 4WD cars need all tyres changing at once as a significant wear
difference can speed up wear in the centre diff. When I had a Quattro, I
rotated the tyres front to back regularly to keep the wear even. Still
never got more than 15k miles out of a set of 255/35R19Y tyres.

that is more because Audi drivers are headcases ....