DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Repair to DG windows (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/684405-repair-dg-windows.html)

Davidm January 21st 21 02:58 PM

Repair to DG windows

I've got a couple if uPVC double glazed windows which have become very
drafty around the opening casements. It seems at the the "nylon
looking" seal in the frame, which the casement frame closed onto, has
lost it's elasticity and is not sealing the gap. The windows are about
30 years old, BAC I think. Is it possibe to replace these seals, and
are replacements available? Anyone done this and know if it's easy or
don't even try? Any other solution (apart from replace the whole
window)?

Spike[_6_] January 21st 21 03:40 PM

Repair to DG windows

On 21/01/2021 14:58, Davidm wrote:

I've got a couple if uPVC double glazed windows which have become very
drafty around the opening casements. It seems at the the "nylon
looking" seal in the frame, which the casement frame closed onto, has
lost it's elasticity and is not sealing the gap. The windows are about
30 years old, BAC I think. Is it possible to replace these seals, and
are replacements available? Anyone done this and know if it's easy or
don't even try? Any other solution (apart from replace the whole
window)?

On a warm day in Autumn I spend a morning applying cheap furniture
polish to the DG seals on the openers and the frames, spraying the
polish onto a rag and rubbing that along the seals. Not only does this
remove a year's crud, but the solvents in the polish help soften and
swell the seals, hopefully making them more pliable and more likely to
seal properly. If yours haven't been done in this fashion for 30 years,
it might take a few applications for this approach to work, but it is
'cheap and cheerful' DIY...

--
Spike

Peter Johnson[_4_] January 21st 21 04:16 PM

Repair to DG windows

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:58:56 +0000, Davidm
wrote:

I've got a couple if uPVC double glazed windows which have become very
drafty around the opening casements. It seems at the the "nylon
looking" seal in the frame, which the casement frame closed onto, has
lost it's elasticity and is not sealing the gap. The windows are about
30 years old, BAC I think. Is it possibe to replace these seals, and
are replacements available? Anyone done this and know if it's easy or
don't even try? Any other solution (apart from replace the whole
window)?

Google double glazing spares for lots of suppliers of DG bits and
pieces.

Steve Walker[_5_] January 21st 21 04:41 PM

Repair to DG windows

On 21/01/2021 14:58, Davidm wrote:
I've got a couple if uPVC double glazed windows which have become very
drafty around the opening casements. It seems at the the "nylon
looking" seal in the frame, which the casement frame closed onto, has
lost it's elasticity and is not sealing the gap. The windows are about
30 years old, BAC I think. Is it possibe to replace these seals, and
are replacements available? Anyone done this and know if it's easy or
don't even try? Any other solution (apart from replace the whole
window)?

Ebay and Amazon sell replacement seals. Depending upon type, even
Screwfix do. They are usually just pull out and push in.

Dave Plowman (News) January 22nd 21 01:52 PM

Repair to DG windows

In article ,
Davidm wrote:
I've got a couple if uPVC double glazed windows which have become very
drafty around the opening casements. It seems at the the "nylon
looking" seal in the frame, which the casement frame closed onto, has
lost it's elasticity and is not sealing the gap. The windows are about
30 years old, BAC I think. Is it possibe to replace these seals, and
are replacements available? Anyone done this and know if it's easy or
don't even try? Any other solution (apart from replace the whole
window)?

Some types of flexible seals react very well to Gummi Pflege. Worked a
treat on the door seals on my car.

--
*It's not hard to meet expenses... they're everywhere.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.