Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Secondary double glazing - do these seem reasonable prices?

My daughter has an old victorian house with sash windows. She has
just got a quote for installing some secondary double glazing and
she's wondering how reasonable it is (it seemed a bit much to her but
my feeling is that it's not too bad).

The prices are for supplying and fitting 'vertical slider,
counterbalanced 4mm toughened glass' secondary units.

For two about 1.3m x 2m they are about £500 each
For two about 0.5m x 2m ther are about £380 each

Prices ex VAT, total for four windows, installed is £2140.

Seem reasonable?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2021 14:59, Chris Green wrote:
My daughter has an old victorian house with sash windows. She has
just got a quote for installing some secondary double glazing and
she's wondering how reasonable it is (it seemed a bit much to her but
my feeling is that it's not too bad).

The prices are for supplying and fitting 'vertical slider,
counterbalanced 4mm toughened glass' secondary units.

For two about 1.3m x 2m they are about £500 each
For two about 0.5m x 2m ther are about £380 each

Prices ex VAT, total for four windows, installed is £2140.

Seem reasonable?

From the v few I've seen over the years seems the right ballpark for
London at least.

Off your topic but I'll offer that worth checking she (or her staff!)
will be able to clean the windows - i.e. /full/ sliding and a big enough
gap to reach in and clean; or tilt as well as slide; or easily removable
- in practice not just in theory, bearing in mind weight.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
On 19/01/2021 14:59, Chris Green wrote:
My daughter has an old victorian house with sash windows. She has
just got a quote for installing some secondary double glazing and
she's wondering how reasonable it is (it seemed a bit much to her but
my feeling is that it's not too bad).

The prices are for supplying and fitting 'vertical slider,
counterbalanced 4mm toughened glass' secondary units.

For two about 1.3m x 2m they are about £500 each
For two about 0.5m x 2m ther are about £380 each

Prices ex VAT, total for four windows, installed is £2140.

Seem reasonable?

From the v few I've seen over the years seems the right ballpark for
London at least.

Off your topic but I'll offer that worth checking she (or her staff!)
will be able to clean the windows - i.e. /full/ sliding and a big enough
gap to reach in and clean; or tilt as well as slide; or easily removable
- in practice not just in theory, bearing in mind weight.

If secondary glazing (needed to reduce noise drastically) they will be
fitted some way from the main glazing. So not too difficult to clean. They
usually lift out of the frames too, although will be heavy.

*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Secondary Double Glazing [email protected] UK diy 1 November 15th 05 03:45 PM
Secondary double glazing - recommendations? Lobster UK diy 5 January 22nd 05 09:32 AM
Secondary double glazing on a curved bay window adam.wootton UK diy 0 November 1st 03 10:47 PM
Secondary Double Glazing Owain UK diy 2 August 10th 03 06:26 PM
Secondary double glazing for patio doors? John Smith UK diy 0 July 20th 03 11:27 PM